C Michael McLeod - Mississauga Steelheads, OHL (2016, 12th, NJD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
McLeod's right back at it. Goal and assist today brings him to 4 goals and 8 points in his last 5 games, 1.6 PPG, and 8 goals and 15 points in his last 10, 1.5 PPG.

He has 9 goals in 14 games since coming back from the WJC. He had 6 goals in 26 games prior.

Kid will have a role in NJ. Not worried about him at all. Glad to see him putting up the points also WITHOUT Bastian as well.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
The most remarkable thing about McLeod this year is he's doing nearly all of it at even strength. Only 10 of his 49 points have come on the power play.

Match that with the fact that only two of his teammates have more power play points than him, and there's a pretty good chance he's better than the numbers show.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
After a very slow start, McLeod's likely to eclipse his shooting percentage from last year. He's back up to 12% after shooting 6% for his first 26 games.

Last edited:

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
He managed an assist vs the top U-20 team in the World, a little more than a month ago, after not seeing a shift for the first two periods of the game, and only 2:15 in the biggest game he's likely ever played in.

Last edited:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He managed an assist vs the top U-20 team in the World, a little more than a month ago, after not seeing a shift for the first two periods of the game, and only 2:15 the entire game.

So if I manage a lucky assist in one game against a good team it means I will be a top 6 forward at the next level?

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
So if I manage a lucky assist in one game against a good team it means I will be a top 6 forward at the next level?

No just making a point. Overall, he had an alright tournament. He played less than 40 minutes in it and had few points in the top tournament for his age bracket. Where did I make a claim that he would be a top-six forward at the next level, or imply it? And to classify lucky, what's to say he's not unlucky then when playing top-10 OHL teams.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

so if I manage to not get a point in my last four games against top 10 OHL teams, that means I won't be a top 6 forward at the NHL level?

the nitpicking is hysterical

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
so if I manage to not get a point in my last four games against top 10 OHL teams, that means I won't be a top 6 forward at the NHL level?

the nitpicking is hysterical

check his stats on the season. There's a pretty big gap between in his stats against top-10 teams and bottom feeders. Bunch of high scoring games against Ottawa and Barrie and then not much against good teams.

13 points in 21 games vs. 38 in 22.

Last edited:

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
check his stats on the season. There's a pretty big gap between in his stats against top-10 teams and bottom feeders. Bunch of high scoring games against Ottawa and Barrie and then not much against good teams.

13 points in 21 games vs. 38 in 22.

For this analysis to mean anything, you'd need to provide us with other top prospects (past and present) breakdowns.

Very well could be meaningful.. but also might be reflective of what happens when you play top teams regardless of your skill level? The stats alone don't really mean much in terms of projecting his offensive potential.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
For this analysis to mean anything, you'd need to provide us with other top prospects (past and present) breakdowns.

Very well could be meaningful.. but also might be reflective of what happens when you play top teams regardless of your skill level? The stats alone don't really mean much in terms of projecting his offensive potential.

yeah I mean...isn't that the case for almost every top forward? Put up points on weaker teams, weaker goalies?

NJ got the better player in Bastian anyway but they got 2 good forwards regardless.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
yeah I mean...isn't that the case for almost every top forward? Put up points on weaker teams, weaker goalies?

NJ got the better player in Bastian anyway but they got 2 good forwards regardless.

Not that big of a difference, if you're a first round pick and National team level forward you should at least be putting up ppg against the best teams in the league in junior. Look at Abramov in the Q. 30 % more points than anyone else on his team, he can carry the offence against the best teams in his league while playing on an awful team. McLeods team is good enough that they don't usually get dominated by other teams and they still get good offensive zone time. He will have trouble even in the AHL, if he can't provide offence against junior competition.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Not that big of a difference, if you're a first round pick and National team level forward you should at least be putting up ppg against the best teams in the league in junior. Look at Abramov in the Q. 30 % more points than anyone else on his team, he can carry the offence against the best teams in his league while playing on an awful team. McLeods team is good enough that they don't usually get dominated by other teams and they still get good offensive zone time. He will have trouble even in the AHL, if he can't provide offence against junior competition.

Can you provide stats to back that up? I would legitimately like to see them..

You gave me one forward and then completely changed the criteria you were looking at. You didn't provide me the breakdown of his points against top vs. bottom teams and instead looked at his points compared to his teammates (which wasn't actually your initial point?)

Would love to have a discussion based on facts and am very eager to see the underlying numbers here to better inform myself of McLeod's potential. Haven't seen anything yet.

Also looks like the Steelheads are barely better than Abramov's team so not sure why 2 wins is the difference between awful and good enough.. but oh well?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

Please provide stats to back up this claim, with a large sample size that includes a large number of players so a valid conclusion can be reached.

As an example of how meaningless stats can be on their own, the year Crosby got 120 points and won the scoring title, 2006-2007, Crosby got 17 points against the Islanders (17th), 10 points against the Rangers (15th), 16 points against the Flyers (30th), and 8 points each against Montreal and Toronto (18th and 19th). 59 of 120 points against 5 bottom half teams in 30 games. In that season he had 21 points in 21 games against top 10 teams.

Would anyone reasonably sit here and say that this makes him a lesser player just because he scores big against bottom teams?

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Please provide stats to back up this claim, with a large sample size that includes a large number of players so a valid conclusion can be reached.

As an example of how meaningless stats can be on their own, the year Crosby got 120 points and won the scoring title, 2006-2007, Crosby got 17 points against the Islanders (17th), 10 points against the Rangers (15th), 16 points against the Flyers (30th), and 8 points each against Montreal and Toronto (18th and 19th). 59 of 120 points against 5 bottom half teams in 30 games. In that season he had 21 points in 21 games against top 10 teams.

Would anyone reasonably sit here and say that this makes him a lesser player just because he scores big against bottom teams?

and you think a ppg against the top NHL teams is not good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad