C Michael McLeod - Mississauga Steelheads, OHL (2016, 12th, NJD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I remember in his draft year people were saying he should be in the top-5 and is a terrific two way player similar to Bergeron. I have learned to take all these glorified comments with a grain of salt.

If anything I think it was actual scouts that overhyped him and had him in the top5. If I recall correctly a majority of people on HF (at least among those I know actually watches prospects) weren't very big fans of him. I had him ranked #15 on my list.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If anything I think it was actual scouts that overhyped him and had him in the top5. If I recall correctly a majority of people on HF (at least among those I know actually watches prospects) weren't very big fans of him. I had him ranked #15 on my list.
Depends on how you define actual scouts. I remember one service being very high on him, but he never got in the top 5 on McKenzie's list or anyone but McKeen's.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Depends on how you define actual scouts. I remember one service being very high on him, but he never got in the top 5 on McKenzie's list or anyone but McKeen's.

Well yeah McKeens had him in their top5, but I think most NHL scouts had him in their top10 too, although he may have started to fall at the end of the season, but for most of the year it seemed like everyone had him in their top10.

I never really liked the player. His draft-season number were not particularly great, and if not for Nylander I'm pretty sure he wouldn't even have been PPG. I would be shocked if he turns into a top6 player in the NHL.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Jersey needs high end skill. What's with them drafting forwards who haven't scored much in the minors high in the 1st round?

They got a couple of high draft picks in back to back years, actually got a chance to use them but proceeded to select low scoring forwards when they could have had

2015: One of Rantanen/Provorov/Werenski/Meier
2016: One of Bean/McAvoy/Chychrun/Fabbro or even Logan Brown if they had not traded down

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
Jersey needs high end skill. What's with them drafting forwards who haven't scored much in the minors high in the 1st round?

They got a couple of high draft picks in back to back years, actually got a chance to use them but proceeded to select low scoring forwards when they could have had

2016: One of Bean/McAvoy/Chychrun/Fabbro or even Logan Brown if they had not traded down

Something dosent seems right in what you are saying here.

2/4 players are D, and you asked why they weren't taking high scoring forwards??

But I'm glad you got a crystal ball so you can see into the future.

Like when everybody was telling us it was a wrong pick to take John quenneville over B. Lemieux look at how those to are doing.

Give the guys time. I've would say it's an improvement for McLeod being over a PPG when you have lost the most skilled player on your line in nylander. Now Mcloed have the responsibility to create on the top line and he has done that.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey

they let go of David Conte who was the director of scouting from the 2015 draft and before with the Columbus Head Scout (who drafted Werenski, Wennberg, etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Zacha doesn't matter in the context of this thread.

As for McLeod, I guess we would've liked a better player but at the same time, the only guys I'd definitely take over him in a realistic draft position would by McAvoy or Chychrun. Bean and Fabbro MAYBE but I think I'd still rather have Mikey.

The Devils had a really tough position by losing out on the top 10 guys but picked up Anderson in the 3rd for trading down which at the end of the day, is a solid deal.

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
Yes it can be a top 6, I think it will be .stastistic is not everything . It must be understood that it will never be the best player of its line. Lack of IQ, finishing around the net and hand . But it has a better quality than other players that makes it play on a top 6 ; he fly on ice . I do not say it will make 60 points . I say that if he play with two good player , Mcleod will be the complement, he brings his grain of salt to the line with are forcheck , on the rush, going to the net playing defensively . It will probably score 40 points but it does more than the points . At worst he will be a great PK player

I had him around 15 at last draft and my opinion doesn't change even if he don't put points at board

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Was his shot trash last season? He had a 12.3% shooting percentage in 15-16.

He's at 9.1% right now.

I don't disagree with your overall argument about McLeod, but use solid logic to back it up.

His shooting percentage last year was higher because he played with Alex Nylander. A lot less high quality chances and open nets this year.

You think his shot got worse over the summer as he gained muscle?

I never said that.

Last edited by a moderator:

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Well yeah McKeens had him in their top5, but I think most NHL scouts had him in their top10 too, although he may have started to fall at the end of the season, but for most of the year it seemed like everyone had him in their top10.

I never really liked the player. His draft-season number were not particularly great, and if not for Nylander I'm pretty sure he wouldn't even have been PPG. I would be shocked if he turns into a top6 player in the NHL.

McKeens had i'm 3rd overall behind Matthews and Laine.

That is just horrible scouting. Its not even hindsight either. It was horrible at the time, and even worse now.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
This is not the appropriate place to talk about Zacha, all I will say is that AT THE TIME the pick was justified. There was context describing why his measurables were lacking and his unmeasurables were off the charts.

McLeod pick, there really isn't anything to second guess. The draft was seven months ago. NJ missed out on Keller, Jost, Nylander, and the rest of the consensus top-10, and were stuck with a bunch of second tier guys which had no standouts. They picked the fast guy because they want a fast team. Makes sense.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He sure sticks out on the ice to me. If the offense never comes around, is it possible that he is the next Bob Gainey? In other words, a really cool complimentary player?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I had many battles with Grant McCagg of McKeen's over this prospect.

During my review of his play, I did not see any instances where he beat a goalie cleanly with a wrist shot that would go in at the next level (there were a couple dribblers IIRC)

He's a 3rd line center at the next level.

Mike27Devils

Apr 24, 2015
I had many battles with Grant McCagg of McKeen's over this prospect.

During my review of his play, I did not see any instances where he beat a goalie cleanly with a wrist shot that would go in at the next level (there were a couple dribblers IIRC)

He's a 3rd line center at the next level.

Just because he has a below average shot doesn't mean he is cemented as a 3rd line center at the next level. It's more important to be able to distribute the puck as a center than it is to score. How many players can consistently beat goalies with a clean shot in the NHL? Not many. Most of the goals in todays NHL are scored off nice passing plays, rebounds, and tips. Also, he is an elite skater which in my opinion is more important than having a great shot at the center position. There's a good chance of him becoming just a good 3rd line center but I think there is just as good of a chance of him being a very good to elite second line center. Time will tell.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

talks about drafting high end skill forwards (which Zacha 1000000% is), and then lists a bunch of DMen and 3 forwards.

yea, that makes sense :laugh:

I'm glad we didn't touch Logan Brown. much rather have Mcleod.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
talks about drafting high end skill forwards (which Zacha 1000000% is), and then lists a bunch of DMen and 3 forwards.

Logan Brown has a much higher ceiling than Mcleod. Mcleod will likely have an NHL role sooner

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

Do you need a lesson in reading comprehension? I posted:

Now where did talk about drafting "high end forwards"? :huh: I mentioned the need for NJ to draft high end skill (without any reference to the players being forwards or D) and then chastised NJ for drafting forwards who didn't score much in the minors (relative to their draft position).

I think Logan Brown is more likely to be a high impact top-6 player than McLeod but to each their own.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Zacha doesn't matter in the context of this thread.

As for McLeod, I guess we would've liked a better player but at the same time, the only guys I'd definitely take over him in a realistic draft position would by McAvoy or Chychrun. Bean and Fabbro MAYBE but I think I'd still rather have Mikey.

The Devils had a really tough position by losing out on the top 10 guys but picked up Anderson in the 3rd for trading down which at the end of the day, is a solid deal.

It was actually Gignac who was that pick. Anderson was the 3rd we got when we traded down from #36 to #41 at the 2015 draft.

As for McLeod, I was fine with the pick. It's not like there was somebody else on the board who was unanimously better.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Do you need a lesson in reading comprehension? I posted:

Now where did talk about drafting "high end forwards"? :huh: I mentioned the need for NJ to draft high end skill (without any reference to the players being forwards or D) and then chastised NJ for drafting forwards who didn't score much in the minors (relative to their draft position).

I think Logan Brown is more likely to be a high impact top-6 player than McLeod but to each their own.

The equation isn't Brown vs McLeod, it's Brown (1.32 PPG) vs McLeod (1.15 PPG) AND Gignac (1.16 PPG)

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
People are too hard on McLeod - I still like him a lot.

Even on a poor steelheads team, i would have wanted more offense from him this season.

But I still think he'll be a valuable NHL player. His offensive upside might not ending being what I initially hoped, but I remain very positive about him.

VoidCreature

Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
McLeod just can't be stopped right now. Another 3 point performance so far tonight. He has 6 goals and 11 points in his last 5 games.

Since coming back from WJC he's now at 8 goals and 17 points in 12 games, 1.41 PPG.

Last edited:

VoidCreature

Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
McLeod's right back at it. Goal and assist today brings him to 4 goals and 8 points in his last 5 games, 1.6 PPG, and 8 goals and 15 points in his last 10, 1.5 PPG.

He has 9 goals in 14 games since coming back from the WJC. He had 6 goals in 26 games prior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad