C Michael McLeod - Mississauga Steelheads, OHL (2016, 12th, NJD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
His speed and length are noticeable. With the way he plays, it looks like he is always running out of rink.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This kid looked great from the very little I saw him.

His speed was noticeable, should’ve been on the ice more imo.

Coach must have saw something he didn’t like?
Doesn't have the scoring instincts for a top-9 role on this team, and the coach like Cirelli more.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Doesn't have the scoring instincts for a top-9 role on this team, and the coach like Cirelli more.

So if one of your prospects gets a primary assist on a stretch pass on his first shift, Babcock doesn't give him a shot to show his stuff? Even later in a 20 minute OT?

It seems incredibly narrow minded to me.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
So if one of your prospects gets a primary assist on a stretch pass on his first shift, Babcock doesn't give him a shot to show his stuff? Even later in a 20 minute OT?

It seems incredibly narrow minded to me.

This is typical of a lot of coaches in short tournaments though. They have a system and their personnel determined and they rarely drift from that, regardless of performance. A player has to be really bad usually to get bumped from their predetermined slot.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Michael McLeod with a monster night tonight, scoring a hat trick and 2 assists.

He has 5 goals and 12 points in 8 games since coming back from the WJC.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Michael McLeod with a monster night tonight, scoring a hat trick and 2 assists.

He has 5 goals and 12 points in 8 games since coming back from the WJC.

And still he has only 11 goals and 39 points in 34 games. He's a fair amount worse than Zacha at this level and is almost completely reliant on the rush to score.

I think he'll be an effective role player for us but again not a player you take at 12. We're already seeing a ton of guys drafted behind him with much better draft +1 seasons.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
And still he has only 11 goals and 39 points in 34 games. He's a fair amount worse than Zacha at this level and is almost completely reliant on the rush to score.

I think he'll be an effective role player for us but again not a player you take at 12. We're already seeing a ton of guys drafted behind him with much better draft +1 seasons.

I went through every single player drafted after him in the first round and there isn't a ton of players having better post draft seasons. There are four or five arguable players, but they either play defense(which most of the players after him were), playing ncaa, or playing for the London Knights a team my grandma could have a ppg season with. We get it you didn't like the pick then and you'll do everything you can to argue away his good accomplishments. Arguing whether a player should have been taken 12th, 14th, 18th or 20th when no ones made the NHL, besides Chychurn which I consider a mistake for his development, but that's an argument for another day. But this argument at this point in time is just an exercise in futility. Kid might only have 11 goals but he's averaging almost an assist per game and has 39p in 34 games. He may never be more than a 20 goal guy at best, but the kid most definitely has skills that translate to higher levels and I think he will most definitely be an NHL player at least. However, saying he was the wrong or correct pick is impossible at this point.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ

And his shooting percentage is still in the ****ter

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I went through every single player drafted after him in the first round and there isn't a ton of players having better post draft seasons. There are four or five arguable players, but they either play defense(which most of the players after him were), playing ncaa, or playing for the London Knights a team my grandma could have a ppg season with. We get it you didn't like the pick then and you'll do everything you can to argue away his good accomplishments. Arguing whether a player should have been taken 12th, 14th, 18th or 20th when no ones made the NHL, besides Chychurn which I consider a mistake for his development, but that's an argument for another day. But this argument at this point in time is just an exercise in futility. Kid might only have 11 goals but he's averaging almost an assist per game and has 39p in 34 games. He may never be more than a 20 goal guy at best, but the kid most definitely has skills that translate to higher levels and I think he will most definitely be an NHL player at least. However, saying he was the wrong or correct pick is impossible at this point.
Did you somehow miss Sam Steel? And considering your elimination criteria, you are left with 3 other players, that isn't much left for comparison.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
So what do people view as his ceiling?
He has a small chance of being a Ryan Kesler or Dylan Larkin type player, more likely he's Darren Helm. Obviously, any player who gets drafted can drastically overachieve what would be a realistic expectation for their ceiling.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

39p in 34gp in a draft +1 season is not a "good accomplishment" for a guy drafted 12th, especially with the performance of guys drafted right behind him. Sure would be nice to have a Chychrun in the system right now with our current D corps.

We missed huge opportunities on 2 of our highest draft picks in the last 25 years when we could have had Werenski/Provorov + Chychrun/Brown

And his shooting percentage is still in the ****ter

Along with his actual shot

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I went through every single player drafted after him in the first round and there isn't a ton of players having better post draft seasons. There are four or five arguable players, but they either play defense(which most of the players after him were), playing ncaa, or playing for the London Knights a team my grandma could have a ppg season with.
You bring up the Knights but if you watch Pu and McLeod side by side most people would say Pu was the higher drafted. Very similar players but Pu is likely better at just about every skill set right now including smarts.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
You bring up the Knights but if you watch Pu and McLeod side by side most people would say Pu was the higher drafted. Very similar players but Pu is likely better at just about every skill set right now including smarts.
McLeod has a better frame and is still a better skater. Both have weak shots. Although, I think both are destined to be defensive inclined centers at the next level if they make it.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
39p in 34gp in a draft +1 season is not a "good accomplishment" for a guy drafted 12th, especially with the performance of guys drafted right behind him. Sure would be nice to have a Chychrun in the system right now with our current D corps.

We missed huge opportunities on 2 of our highest draft picks in the last 25 years when we could have had Werenski/Provorov + Chychrun/Brown

Along with his actual shot

You think his shot got worse over the summer as he gained muscle?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I see his upside as Antoine Vermette.

That's actually, IMO, a pretty good comparable.

Maybe not in terms of them having the *exact same* skillset (McLeod's a faster skater), but in terms of what they end up at the NHL level (ie. a middle six center who can chip in 15-20 goals, 40+ points, and is defensively sound).

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
McLeod has a better frame and is still a better skater. Both have weak shots. Although, I think both are destined to be defensive inclined centers at the next level if they make it.
They're both 6'2" and Pu actually has more size right now. Unless you've seen them both with their shirts off or know what their fathers look like I'm not sure how you are determining this.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
They're both 6'2" and Pu actually has more size right now. Unless you've seen them both with their shirts off or know what their fathers look like I'm not sure how you are determining this.
I'd say from watching both a significant amount of times. McLeod is stronger on and off the puck. I actually like Pu and the Knights more than the Steelheads. I have no dog in this fight, but McLeod has some things pretty clearly over Pu. It doesn't mean that Pu won't have a better NHL career.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Wood McLeod Speers will cause teams fits with their speed on a 3rd line.

If all 3 have chemistry, can chip in 15+ goals each and be defensively responsible they can really be a fun group and tire the opposition out. Would be great to develop something like that internally.

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
I remember in his draft year people were saying he should be in the top-5 and is a terrific two way player similar to Bergeron. I have learned to take all these glorified comments with a grain of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00