C Michael McLeod - Mississauga Steelheads, OHL (2016, 12th, NJD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
#9 Michael McLeod
Mississauga Steelheads (OHL)
POSITION: Center
SHOOTS:Right
HEIGHT:6'01"
WEIGHT:184
BIRTHDATE: February 3, 1998
HOMETOWN: Mississauga , ON
ACQUIRED: 1st round (5th overall) 2014 OHL Priority Selection

"A high potential forward who has the tools to be one of the best players in the age group. The MVP of the 2014 OHL Cup where he lead his team to a provincial championship. A puck possession pivot with soft hands and incredible elusiveness. Protects the puck superbly, aided by smart body positioning. A magnificent skater with elite acceleration, balance, and edge control. Masterful at taking advantage of his second gear and gaining the inside edge on defenders. Slick puck handler, has quick hands in tight and an ability to paralyse opponents with his one-on-one moves. Elite weapon is his dynamic wrist shot and unpredictable release point, one that keeps goaltenders guessing. Puts quick, soft feeds on the tape, both fore and backhand, and can carve up defences with inspired no look set ups. Too passive defensively, struggles to stay involved in the game when the puck is in his defensive zone. Can be puck focused, suffers bouts of tunnel vision, attempting to skate through his opponents and not utilizing his teammates. Must continue to physically mature, adding depth and strength to a somewhat thin frame." - Sean Lafortune, 2014
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=240821

"A centre who wants the puck on his stick. He drives the net with reckless abandon. Strong hands, great feet and body position lets him turn the corner wide on defenders. Relentless and determined in puck pursuit. Has great edging and keeps the pins going in all phases of the play. A terrific passer who puts it on his linemates sticks while in stride. Soft hands and a strong wrist shot and release. Will need to fill out, but looks like a top prospect." - Bill Placzek
http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/player/michael-mcleod/22473/

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
I was looking for Mikey's thread and finally found it.

I think Mikey is in for a huge year. Had an average rookie season on our bad team in Missy and still managed to be effective game in game out.

From what I saw at the U18 Red/White games Mikey looks even better then last year and ready to take that next step.

What does everyone else think. I'm a huge fan of this player and think he could be in the 10-15 range in June.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
Speed to burn and the skill to pull of the moves at top speed.

Most dynamic player from what I saw of the u18 scrimmages.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Are the Steelheads expected to have a more competitive roster this season? If really like to see what Michael McLeod can do this season with at least an above average supporting cast.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Are the Steelheads expected to have a more competitive roster this season? If really like to see what Michael McLeod can do this season with at least an above average supporting cast.

I think that really depends on if they can find a goaltender. They desperately need one. If they can do that, they definitely have a shot at a top 4 spot in the Conference.

Regardless, their offense should be much improved next year. Solid group of overage forwards. Young players hopefully getting better. Couple wild cards in there too, in that Alex Nylander could still report and that the team seems likely to pick up Michael's brother Ryan, sometime between training camp and Sept. 15 (the defected player trading period).

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
I think that really depends on if they can find a goaltender. They desperately need one. If they can do that, they definitely have a shot at a top 4 spot in the Conference.

Regardless, their offense should be much improved next year. Solid group of overage forwards. Young players hopefully getting better. Couple wild cards in there too, in that Alex Nylander could still report and that the team seems likely to pick up Michael's brother Ryan, sometime between training camp and Sept. 15 (the defected player trading period).

I heard Sean Day was going to be moved. Is that still going to happen?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I heard Sean Day was going to be moved. Is that still going to happen?

Considering the commitment Mississauga has shown to improving their club this offseason, I highly doubt he gets moved at this point (unless he demands it). They're banking on being one of the best team's in the East this year (although they desperately need goaltending).

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Considering the commitment Mississauga has shown to improving their club this offseason, I highly doubt he gets moved at this point (unless he demands it). They're banking on being one of the best team's in the East this year (although they desperately need goaltending).

Spencer Martin?

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
I'd love for Martin to get sent back but I wont hold my breath.

Regardless I think McLeod is in for a big year. It's surprising some people/sites have him rated to go in the 2nd round.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Avs goalie depth chart is the following:

Varlamov
Berra
Pickard
Will
Martin

He could be sent down to the OHL if the Avs prefer that route to the ECHL.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Second time watching him tonight. Has a goal and a assist so far.

Had a really strong game the other day too. This guy should be talked about more. He's fast, makes great saucer passes, has great hands and a great shot. Not sure yet about defensive play though.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
He keeps improving every time I see him. Had 1G+2A tonight(goal was SH). Good skater, hands and vision plus strong on the puck. Is still a little raw defensively but big improvement from the 1st time I saw him. Looking like a teens pick this year but could work his way into the top 10. Wouldn't mind if he was an Avs pick in June.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
He keeps improving every time I see him. Had 1G+2A tonight(goal was SH). Good skater, hands and vision plus strong on the puck. Is still a little raw defensively but big improvement from the 1st time I saw him. Looking like a teens pick this year but could work his way into the top 10. Wouldn't mind if he was an Avs pick in June.

I think he looks more like a top 10 pick who could fall into the teens, not the other way aorund.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010

If anything, I think his defensive instincts are very advanced for his age. The play goes through him at both ends of the rink when he is on his game. The lapses come late in periods I find, where the fitness and conditioning level come into play, he's never played this many minutes at this level of competition before - it will come soon. It either comes from that aspect or Mike taking on too much of the burden on himself to create and trying to do too much in the neutral zone in terms of 1-on-1 moves when he could do less. His stick positioning and ability to understand the game in terms of picking up a man on the rush is very advanced for his age - he is his team's most depended on penalty killer for a reason. In contention for a top 10 pick right now in my opinion.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Pro comparison?
For a stylistic comparison, Tyler Seguin, IMO.

I've tried to catch every game and he as stood out regularly as the best Steelhead player and often times, the best player on the ice. His first step and acceleration is first class. He makes everyone around him better. Plays upwards of 20-25 minutes a game, by my rough calculation. Top PP and PK units. Very little weakness in his game. One of my favorite players to watch in this draft, for sure.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I'm really like what I've seen about him. If the Devils don't pick in the top few I'd be thrilled to have him in the organization. Great comparisons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad