C Michael McLeod - Mississauga Steelheads, OHL (2016, 12th, NJD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I feel like every fan base last june was hoping their team would pass on him...I still don't know how he didn't drop hard.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Was just compared to a bigger Tyler Johnson on the NHL network coverage of the WJC.

Matched Barzal's 3 point WJC performance last year while playing literally 1 or 2 shifts a game.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Was just compared to a bigger Tyler Johnson on the NHL network coverage of the WJC.

Matched Barzal's 3 point WJC performance last year while playing literally 1 or 2 shifts a game.

Not trying to downplay McLeod here as he may be stylistically comparable but he doesn't have the hockey IQ, hands, vision, or offensive creativity of Johnson.

Barzal is clearly a far better offensive player than McLeod is. Also, while McLeod I believe was rated as one of if not the best skaters of this past draft, Barzal is still not far off from him in that regard. McLeod clearly has greater work ethic than Barzal, but that's about it for me.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Not trying to downplay McLeod here as he may be stylistically comparable but he doesn't have the hockey IQ, hands, vision, or offensive creativity of Johnson.

Barzal is clearly a far better offensive player than McLeod is. Also, while McLeod I believe was rated as one of if not the best skaters of this past draft, Barzal is still not far off from him in that regard. McLeod clearly has greater work ethic than Barzal, but that's about it for me.
Barzal is pretty terrible defensively, when he doesn't have the puck in the offensive zone his line is consistently pinned in their own end. It is a struggle he will have at the NHL if he continues to play center. Gomez had to deal with it his whole career.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

The Johnson comparison is not a very good one. Johnson has a tremendous shot, hands, patience, and can make plays off the cycle.

McLeod is extremely dependent on goals off the rush.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Didn't get a single shift in the OT. You would think his speed on fresh legs would have been useful.

He'll probably be back in junior next year, so he'll get another crack at it. Certainly made the most of his very limited opportunity this year.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Didn't get a single shift in the OT. You would think his speed on fresh legs would have been useful.

He'll probably be back in junior next year, so he'll get another crack at it. Certainly made the most of his very limited opportunity this year.

Eh, that's a really tough position to put an 18-year old in. He played what, one or two shifts in regulation?

But yes, he should be back next year and is a good candidate for a solid bottom six center role somewhat akin to what Roy / Cirelli played this year (though of course they're all very different players). His speed was certainly noticeable whenever he was on the ice.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Can I vent about Mcleod and Team Canada for a second? Here's some stats to think about after that joke

• 60% faceoff winrate
  • 1+ ppg
  • +4 despite playing nearly 60% DZS
  • 3/4 shootout rate, best on Team Canada
  • highest Controlled Entries in the OHL in 2016
  • fastest player in the CHL
  • top penalty killer in the OHL
He does all of this on one of the worst teams in the OHL. Lets also not forget that he was a top 15 draft pick with nearly everyone on the team being taken after him- so none of this should be a surprise

Gets 1 shift in the ENTIRE game, where he immediately sets up an assist and then creates another scoring chance. Then he rides pine for another 2 periods

Doesn't get a shootout attempt

Game goes for 4 periods with exhausted players that can barely skate anymore.

Strome is played every other shift while looking far below average. Barzal absolutely refused to pass and consistently lost the puck.

And Douchearme doesn't give Mcleod a single chance? What a -------- joke.

Not my words. Saw it on reddit posted by r/calsiuis. Thought I'd share.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
This kid looked great from the very little I saw him.

His speed was noticeable, should’ve been on the ice more imo.

Coach must have saw something he didn’t like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad