C Mathew Barzal - Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL (2015, 16th, NYI) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Barzal now with his 8th point in his last 8 games in a tough last min loss to the Caps last night and has now had points in 7 of his last 8 games.

Good to hear. Is the real deal would easy breasy goes top ten in a redraft

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Good to hear. Is the real deal would easy breasy goes top ten in a redraft

Love watching this kid play. He's not only very skilled, and plays a beautiful style. But he is a competitor. You could see his frustration after the final whistle when he could not set up a play to tie the game with seconds left with an extra attacker. This is something that is less known about him. Kid wants to win badly, and you have to love players with this type of attitude. Cheers mate!

Reactions: WangMustGo

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I still wonder to this day what made Boston and Dallas overlook Barzal. I probably would even throw in 11 Florida(Crouse) into that discussion
There is a story floating around about Barzal's Draft interviews. Barzal stated he didn't want to give canned answers so when a team asked:

"Why should we draft you?" he replied with something similar to: "Don't and we'll see how that works out".

I hope in my bones the team that asked that was Boston.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
The thing I like seeing is the amount of shots on goal he has. 4th in rookie shots on goal in the league and also has the 5th highest SOG total on the Isles at this point. Not bad for a guy that a lot of people on here that never really saw him play in junior(and just stat watched) always tried saying he never shoots and that will be a huge issue for him to succeed in NHL!!!

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The thing I like seeing is the amount of shots on goal he has. 4th in rookie shots on goal in the league and also has the 5th highest SOG total on the Isles at this point. Not bad for a guy that a lot of people on here that never really saw him play in junior(and just stat watched) always tried saying he never shoots and that will be a huge issue for him to succeed in NHL!!!

I've pointed out many times to the non believers that if you look at Barzal's history, his goals per game ratio actually increases(albiet it's offset by a large drop in assists per game). It's a basic case as the competition gets tougher he has less options and has to shoot

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
You really can't draw anything from advanced stats before 20 to 30 games or so. Single games can still cause significant fluctuations. I don't strongly disagree with the premise of the article, he could become a star, and has the underlying skills to. But, I don't agree that the factual evidence used, just because it is way too early to used Corsi for and corsi rel against guys who completed entire seasons.

Reactions: SI90

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
As someone who's from Coquitlam, BC too, I'm a huge Barzal fan. Kid will be a star in this league, Isles fan are lucky!! Hope he kills it for you guys. Getting him at #16 in an absolute steal

Reactions: SI90 and CRYHAVOC

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Barzal looks a little like a young LaFontaine out there. High end skill, sublime skating, premium hockey instincts, and they are of similar physical stature.

Barzal plays more fearless than I thought and gets his nose in the greasy areas. Something Patty Lafontaine did and paid for it a few times. I suspect Barzal will get his bell rung a few times just because of his style. Bieska got him good and he bounced back fine. It's actually fun seeing a NYI prospect finally deliver... Keep it up kid...

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Though it is not impossible for Barzal to get hotter(7 pts in 7), I think Keller and Sergachev may be tough this year for the Calder. If it does go to a fwd. The vast majority of times the highest scorer wins. Keller is the real deal so it will be interesting if any fwd can close the gap. For me, it is just fun watching Barzal develop as the #2C with the Isles on a contending team. If you ask me, this just ups his value and makes the pick(though no brainer for most at #16OA at that stage of the draft for most) even better.

I think it’s good for his development that he’s playing on a halfway decent team, surrounded by talent. Skilled/experienced line mates, on the second line, first PP unit he’s getting a lot of looks playing w good players.

Being around an all-world professional like JT can’t hurt either.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Fun player.

Him and Ho Sang were two of my favorite prospects to watch. Love their game
What’s the sit rep on Barzal, Ho-Sang, and Beauvillier? They’ve all looked great and produced nicely when I’ve watched the Isles, but it seemed for a while that in most games one of them was being scratched.

isles55

Mar 7, 2015
5 assists now. He just set the Islanders rookie record(for assists I think).

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
That was a beauty last feed, he's ripping it up tonight!

And suddenly just like that, he has 13 points on the season in 13 games and 2 periods and is tied for 2nd in rookie scoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad