C Mathew Barzal - Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL (2015, 16th, NYI) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The talent was easy to project but the impact so soon was not.

I would have been happy with a 45-50pt season from him coming into the season. Everyone always felt he had #1 Center potential. That’s why he was a none starter in trade discussions for Duchene.

I don’t disagree the talent was there. That said I think he projects differently now than he would if he broke into the league as a 50 point player with maybe 15 goals over a full season. If he finishes his rookie season with 83-85 points on a non playoff team that will likely be mailing it in shortly he starts to look like a potential 100 point player in a couple of years on a better team. That would be a fantastic progression and more than most who watched him over the last few years would have predicted. Isles have a heck of a player to build around even if JT leaves.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
What’s gonna happen to the “he’s sheltered” argument when Tavares - who he was already outplaying - is put on his wing?

I don't think it's an argument against Barzal in any way, it's just... a fact? I obviously want him to be the greatest player he could be, I wish him all the best, but it's still a fact.

Also, not to rain on your parade or anything, but the Caps sent their top line against Barzal a few times during the last two games and he wasn't as impressive as he used to.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I don’t disagree the talent was there. That said I think he projects differently now than he would if he broke into the league as a 50 point player with maybe 15 goals over a full season. If he finishes his rookie season with 83-85 points on a non playoff team that will likely be mailing it in shortly he starts to look like a potential 100 point player in a couple of years on a better team. That would be a fantastic progression and more than most who watched him over the last few years would have predicted. Isles have a heck of a player to build around even if JT leaves.

I think he has 100pt talent but that’s not easy to accomplish. If he settles in as a 75-85 point game changing center I will be happy and I think hats more realistic. Either way, points aside he still makes an impact on the game every shift and is a constant threat. He also brings a lot when he is t scoring or putting up points. He’s such a great possession player.

Reactions: My3Sons

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I don't think it's an argument against Barzal in any way, it's just... a fact? I obviously want him to be the greatest player he could be, I wish him all the best, but it's still a fact.

Also, not to rain on your parade or anything, but the Caps sent their top line against Barzal a few times during the last two games and he wasn't as impressive as he used to.

Caps dominated the islanders and Barzal had 3pts in 2 games. He looked okay to me:dunno:

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Caps dominated the islanders and Barzal had 3pts in 2 games. He looked okay to me:dunno:

I didn't say he wasn't effective, I said he wasn't as impressive on the ice and these are two different things? :dunno:

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Not sure he's a good enough goal scorer to be a 100 point guy ever in the NHL.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014

I'd say he hits that in his peak season if everything goes right and he's playing with another superstar caliber player regularly on his line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad