C Mathew Barzal - Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL (2015, 16th, NYI) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Haha now he knows what playing with another playmaker feels like

hes gonna be unbelievable playing with guys on his same thought level. I cant wait to watch.

that was always 1 thing frustrating when watching his games... even as far back as peewee... his level of thinking was head and shoulders better than his teammates and he would continuously have to keep holding onto puck and turning with it and waiting.. I mean sure it was entertaining as hell to watch, but it always left you excited at the thought of how much better he can be playing with guys on the same vision level

Last edited:

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Barzal is on the #1PP unit with Leddy, Tavares, Lee, and Eberle in practice. He's also slated as the #2C between Ladd and Bailey. All signs point to him getting his chance to play in the NHL. The reign of Barzal is NIGH. :)

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Barzal is on the #1PP unit with Leddy, Tavares, Lee, and Eberle in practice. He's also slated as the #2C between Ladd and Bailey. All signs point to him getting his chance to play in the NHL. The reign of Barzal is NIGH. :)

Is that where he's expected to play when the regular season begins? Ironically, that could mean both Ho-Sang and Pulock produce a lot less than expected this season, if Barzal's taking that last spot on the top PP unit.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Is that where he's expected to play when the regular season begins? Ironically, that could mean both Ho-Sang and Pulock produce a lot less than expected this season, if Barzal's taking that last spot on the top PP unit.

I think the thought process is that Barzal and Ho-Sang play similarly and it's best to break them up.

The #1 PP will get the bulk of the TOI but I think Ho-Sang and the 2nd unit will get their shot. Points wise they might not produce as much but as long as they're producing when called upon that's all that matters.

I'd actually prefer Ho-Sang on the #1 PP and Barzal on the #2

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

All signs point to Barzal starting out as the #2C between Ladd and Bailey. He was on the #1PP with Leddy and the Lee-Tavares-Eberle line in practice. Looks like he's at the point and will share zone entry duties with Leddy. If he's the goods, he's going to have the ice time and responsibility to put up numbers.

The #2PP unit was Pulock-Bailey-Ho-Sang-Nelson-Ladd, with Boychuk and de Haan included in the drill work.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Lee-JT-Eberle
Ladd-Barzal-Bailey
Beau-Nelson-JHS

That seems to be the top9

Not sure how good it will be but it's smart in theory. JT's line is a bonafide threat that can play big minutes.

Second line puts Barzal in a position to succeed. Has a good shot to his left in Ladd (who can also play physically) and a smart player in Bailey to his right.

Third line looks like a lot of fun, though I'd prefer Beau and Nelson switched (but I get it, possession-driving JHS can set up Nelson's ridiculous wrist shot).

Reactions: MatthewFlames

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Great goal. Man - that broadcast is painful to listen to.

I have a feeling we will see this often this year. Barzal's strength in zone entries. It will create a lot of chances.

With a coach like Doug Weight, he finally has a coach that will put him in a position to succeed. I don't want to sound too confident, but I really see him having a great rookie year. Where my ranking him 5th overall from the 2015 draft may come to fruition this year.

We shall see! :)

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
I have a feeling we will see this often this year. Barzal's strength in zone entries. It will create a lot of chances.

With a coach like Doug Weight, he finally has a coach that will put him in a position to succeed. I don't want to sound too confident, but I really see him having a great rookie year. Where my ranking him 5th overall from the 2015 draft may come to fruition this year.

We shall see! :)
He has looked great in preseason. He's such a good skater only Leddy better skater on the islanders. Kid is playing with confidence and has a little bit of tenacity in his game.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He has looked great in preseason. He's such a good skater only Leddy better skater on the islanders. Kid is playing with confidence and has a little bit of tenacity in his game.

You guys were really lucky to draft him. I thought he was a sure top 10 talent in the 2015 draft. As mentioned I had him rated as high as #5 in my final ranking. He was one of the better Centers I saw coming from this draft past McDavid-Eichel.

The Isles are a very exciting team this year. They are high on my list of teams to watch when I can. Doug Weight is going to play the kids, and this bodes well for Barzal if he maintains his intensity from the preseason for the entire year.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Barzal finished preseason with 1 assist. By my count this gives him 3 goals, and 4 assists, 7 points overall.

Now the real games begin. But Barzal did what he had to do, he earned a spot on the NY Isles. Probably a top 6 spot. It's great to see when a talented former 1st rd pick does this in camp.

Now he needs to carry this to the regular season and keep proving himself game in game out.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Here is Barzal's lovely assist the other night to end his his fine preseason.

Looks like he will be NY Isles starting #2C behind Tavares.

Here is Coach Weight's pre-season opening game's comments.

NY Isles will be a fun young team to watch this season. Barzal fits the coach's description to a T.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Barzal Beauvillier and Ho-Sang are all fun too watch!!! Weight is going to unleash them!!! I love it.

And Pulock too! Really looking fwd in seeing what this young group can do this season. They have 4 balanced lines, they also have a coach that puts young players in positions to succeed. Like them, like this team a lot!

Reactions: Grant and JMcLeaf

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Mathew got off to a slow start, and with him finally getting rewarded with production 3 points in his last 3 games(All even strength since the Isles PP has been brutal) he seems to be settling down. When he is skating, he is a fun player to watch.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Mathew got off to a slow start, and with him finally getting rewarded with production 3 points in his last 3 games(All even strength since the Isles PP has been brutal) he seems to be settling down. When he is skating, he is a fun player to watch.
He has been a bit snake bitten. Barzal was great against the Rangers but stoned a few times by Lundquist. I was at the game last night and man he just fun to watch. Once the pp gets going a bit Barzal will be putting up points consistently

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Barzal is been one of great isles best players. He's been getting and creating tons of offensive chances. He hasn't finished a few goals but the chances are there. The way he's playing you could see how he projects to be a legit #1 center.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Amazing player. Only 20 my god! I can now appreciate what Seattle fans got to witness. He’s only going to get better.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
He is easily the best prospect the Isles have drafted since Tavares. This guy is creating a ton of chances every night. He seems like he is really adjusting to the speed of the game. I wouldn't be surprised if he finishes the year with 50+ points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad