C/LW Jonathan Drouin - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2013, 3rd overall, Tampa Bay) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
The IIHF recognizes suspensions. I don't want to see Erne in Malmo if Drouin can't make it.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
And I think you're trying to downplay it for obvious reasons.

I'm not. I'm sure Erne will get suspended and miss the WJC for the U.S. like Noesen did last year. Stupid and dangerous play. I don't think it was premeditated though.

Macman

May 15, 2004
I'm not. I'm sure Erne will get suspended and miss the WJC for the U.S. like Noesen did last year. Stupid and dangerous play. I don't think it was premeditated though.

Fair enough but premeditated in what sense? In the sense he was trying to seriously hurt him? Only he knows for sure, but he definitely knows who Drouin is and he had to know he was drilling him from behind. He came from far enough away to recognize how vulnerable Drouin was but decided to hit him anyway. He had more than enough time to stop but didn't. In that sense, it was premeditated.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Not a good play, people asking him to get booted out of hockey are a bit ridiculous. I am sure Canada will do everything in their power to make sure Erne doesn't go to the WJC. Is odd to see the Tampa on Tampa angle, both were pretty good stories in camp down there, sure that will make for an awkward conversation when he talks to Drouin to see how he is doing and offers an apology.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
UGhhGHgH it wasnt even like Drouin was facing sideways then turned his back and got hit from behind. He was facing the boards the entire time and Erne just lambasted him.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The play happened at such a slow speed that there's no way Erne didn't know what he was doing, and to whom he was doing it. Such a ridiculous incident it's hard to even call it stupid.

Steve Yzerman has to be wondering exactly what goes on in this kid's head right now.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Fair enough but premeditated in what sense? In the sense he was trying to seriously hurt him? Only he knows for sure, but he definitely knows who Drouin is and he had to know he was drilling him from behind. He came from far enough away to recognize how vulnerable Drouin was but decided to hit him anyway. He had more than enough time to stop but didn't. In that sense, it was premeditated.

Erne is a hothead who plays on the edge. That said there is no excuse for a hit like this. Dumb play.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Had it been a clean hit, I don't think the prospect on prospect angle would matter. Erne is a Rempart for now, not a Lightning. But the fact that it was so clearly dirty does bring the organizational angle into it. I just have no idea why he thought that would be a good idea, regardless of the edge he plays with.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Had it been a clean hit, I don't think the prospect on prospect angle would matter. Erne is a Rempart for now, not a Lightning. But the fact that it was so clearly dirty does bring the organizational angle into it. I just have no idea why he thought that would be a good idea, regardless of the edge he plays with.

Going to make things awkward if they ever actually play on the same team

What a stupid hit… I mean its one thing if Erne made a bad hit if Drouin was turning, or if there was some variable like a high speed situation, but he just came flying in and made a horrible dirty hit. So dumb

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Fire Steve Yzerman. He has obviously angered the gods to the point where they're punishing the entire organization.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Dirty hits are dirty but they are still part of the game, and will always be, factually. It' s hockey and sometimes it turns ugly.

Too bad, it happened to Drouin and hope he will recover quickly and be available for team Canada.

But it doesn't lessen dirtiness of the hit or accountability of the offender even if the receiving end had been some nobody. - Sometimes it just sounds that way by people's reaction.

If a star player commits a dirty play on some small fry the common reaction is something like: "It was a bit silly from him. Hope the kid is okay. But you should not turn your back like that/you should keep your head up..."

There's a double standard here.

And what do you think of, say, Mark Messier? Okay, you may say it was a different era. But by the same token all that is an essential part of the game's glorified history and self-image. Violence is inherent to the game - and its appeal. You cannot get rid of it, only regulate it.

Roz

Jul 2, 2013
NS
Here's how he looked after the hit. Was about to go into the room to get zippers but turned back to make sure the ref got a good look at his face.

tumblr_mxf11lcYTY1rlcjbjo1_500.png

sayheykid

Jun 12, 2010
I need to calm down. This thread is starting to affect my blood pressure in a seriously negative way.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

Erne seems like a real [mod]. He got a 3 game suspension during the pre-season as well. Great first impression :help:

He also maybe ****ed his own WJC team because if he gets a long suspension, which he probably will because it was Drouin he hit, he'll have to sit out those WJC games so may not be able to go to the tournament.

I think the fact he was supposed to go in the first round but fell to the second round and Patrick Roy/the Avs didn't take him with their 2nd round pick says a lot

Last edited by a moderator:

Brandel*

ok does anyone else think Drouin goes down ridiculously fast. I'm not insinuating anything here, it just looks extremely weird in that video. He like sticks to the glass for a second and a split second later he's on the ice... I've watched it 10 times now, so strange

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00