C/LW Jonathan Drouin - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2013, 3rd overall, Tampa Bay) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
ok does anyone else think Drouin goes down ridiculously fast. I'm not insinuating anything here, it just looks extremely weird in that video. He like sticks to the glass for a second and a split second later he's on the ice... I've watched it 10 times now, so strange

He sticks to the glass because Erne held him up for a second and drops down afterwards because he was just ruined from behind and given a concussion. Idea, go the rink and have someone ruin you from behind and see how long it takes you to go down and then compare it. Like wtf are you insinuating, that Drouin is faking?

Who's 52 on Halifax, he wasted no time in dropping the mitts and didn't even want to stop when the linesman was in between them. He wanted to do hand out as much pain as possible. Erne doesn't do anything to protect himself and then chirps after the fact. Gotta love those players.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
He sticks to the glass because Erne held him up for a second and drops down afterwards because he was just ruined from behind and given a concussion. Idea, go the rink and have someone ruin you from behind and see how long it takes you to go down and then compare it. Like wtf are you insinuating, that Drouin is faking?

Who's 52 on Halifax, he wasted no time in dropping the mitts and didn't even want to stop when the linesman was in between them. He wanted to do hand out as much pain as possible. Erne doesn't do anything to protect himself and then chirps after the fact. Gotta love those players.

Mackenzie Weegar

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=97908

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Mac Weegar.
Drafted by Panthers. I think.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

ok does anyone else think Drouin goes down ridiculously fast. I'm not insinuating anything here, it just looks extremely weird in that video. He like sticks to the glass for a second and a split second later he's on the ice... I've watched it 10 times now, so strange

no, no one else thinks that :shakehead

Souffle

A soupçon of nutmeg
Aug 9, 2003
Le Creuset
Visit site
That was a dirty hit. As for prospect on prospect, I don't think it matters much that they're drafted by the same organization. I mean, they're rivals in junior, rivals in WJ, and potentially rivals to play for a roster spot on the same NHL team. Basically, I don't think anyone should hold Erne to a higher or different standard just because he and Drouin were drafted by the same organization.

I might be having a Cherry moment here, but I am concerned that players don't protect themselves enough from these types of hits. What I am not saying: this is Drouin's fault. What I am saying: players ought to protect themselves better against this type of hit. It's precisely because of the danger of a dirty hit that you have to avoid such a vulnerable position. It's like defensive driving: you do it because of the risk that a dangerous idiot will cause you to wreck your car with your kid in it.

I'll try to put it another way. I've posted this same nostalgia in some Habs GDT, but I remember as a kid watching hockey instructional videos, where Mike Bossy -- arguably the greatest sniper of all-time -- devoted a segment on how to play against the boards. It was about positioning yourself to take a hit that you have to assume is coming. Be close to the boards, have your arms up to brace yourself against the glass, and be at an oblique angle so that your body rather than your face can take the drive into the boards.

This was once so basic that one of the best pure scorers in NHL history explained it in a video to kids learning to play hockey. I never played at any serious level, but I did play a bit and once got smoked near the boards as the winger trying to make a breakout pass. My shoulder has been a minor but nagging problem for twenty plus years since. If I compare my breakout play to the Bossy instruction, the fact is that I didn't take it in or at least didn't apply it on that play.

There's no excusing a dirty hit. But I just see too often players putting themselves in vulnerable positions. And worse to me are the players who do it deliberately and throw themselves into the boards to draw a boarding call when they feel contact -- and to be clear, I'm not referring to Drouin here, but guys like Prust and others who'll do anything to get an advantage for their team. If I were master of the universe, I would start calling that play a dive, and I would also generally insist that players be more defensive in their positioning along the boards as a matter of fundamental technique like skating, shooting or passing.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
I think the kid looked a bit remorseful or surprised after the hit -didn't expect this to happen. It was a slow paced play after all.

Three game suspension should do it.

Dgill

Jun 3, 2008
Halifax
www.metroho.com
I think the kid looked a bit remorseful or surprised after the hit -didn't expect this to happen. It was a slow paced play after all.

Three game suspension should do it.

Well, he certainly wasn't remorseful if he doesn't think he was in the wrong.

“He wasn’t far from the boards and I pushed him pretty hard,†said Erne, who also received a game misconduct for the hit. “I thought it was a dive and I thought everybody else did, too. I wouldn’t have even gotten a penalty if he didn’t dive into the boards.â€

http://metronews.ca/sports/877569/m...rts-drouin-out-with-concussion-like-symptoms/

sayheykid

Jun 12, 2010
Yep, the old blood pressure just went right back up into the danger zone after reading Erne's response.

Roz

Jul 2, 2013
NS

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Well, he certainly wasn't remorseful if he doesn't think he was in the wrong.

http://metronews.ca/sports/877569/m...rts-drouin-out-with-concussion-like-symptoms/

That has to be a joke or mistake. He actually said that? Wow what an idiot :help:

That's not going to help his case at all. I mean I kind of expected to read a response like that here, and I'm surprised nobody here said it(just because there's usually 1 idiot here who makes a comment like that), but the 1st actual person who said that was Erne himself, wow.

I'd expect he's going to get a fairly long suspension. Long enough that he'll miss the world juniors probably, and imo he deserves to miss the world juniors, Drouin could miss the world juniors because of this guys stupidity :shakehead

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Oh he is as dense as a bag of bricks, just don't get how saying something like that even makes sense to someone in the first place, let alone the Remparts letting him say that lol.

I don't know how this doesn't warrant a phone call from Steve Yzerman. There must be alarm bells going off in his head.

Even if this wasn't Drouin, you can't have a guy that represents your organization making comments like these after injuring a guy. The fact that it WAS Drouin, from where Yzerman's sitting, only complicates matters more.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Oh he is as dense as a bag of bricks, just don't get how saying something like that even makes sense to someone in the first place, let alone the Remparts letting him say that lol.

yeah, that's definately an opinion best kept to yourself if you truly believe it for anyone really, but for the guy that actually threw the hit to say it is beyond stupid.

Is this a first? I mean I'm not sure I ever recall someone throwing what will probably be a suspendable hit where the guy he hit gets hurt pretty bad it seems and the guy comes out and calls it a dive? Not sure I've ever seen that one before.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
yeah, that's definately an opinion best kept to yourself if you truly believe it for anyone really, but for the guy that actually threw the hit to say it is beyond stupid.

Is this a first? I mean I'm not sure I ever recall someone throwing what will probably be a suspendable hit where the guy he hit gets hurt pretty bad it seems and the guy comes out and calls it a dive? Not sure I've ever seen that one before.

Top that off with the fact that the two guys involved were roommates at the Developmental camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad