C Jake Wise - Boston Univ., NCAA (2018, 69th, CHI)

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
if you take away his first 6 games on the season Wise would be :
23 games - 9 goals - 26 assists - 35 points

35 points in 23 games if you take out those first 6 games for him - yeah, that is pretty freaking good

Those numbers are more in line with the skill he actually shows when you watch him.

Hes doing it on the second line, too.

Im hoping he somehow falls to Montreals 2nd so I can laugh when they pass him over and a team like the Rangers gets him instead.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Those numbers are more in line with the skill he actually shows when you watch him.

Im hoping he somehow falls to Montreals 2nd so I can laugh when they pass him over and a team like the Rangers gets him instead.
it is pretty crazy to see what he has been doing on the second line. I have no idea where he goes in the draft because of how things have changed for him the past month plus, but if the Hawks pick 31st and he is there (assuming we nab one of the defensemen with our first pick), he would definitely be a target as the upside here is very hard to ignore, and we have some time to be patient down the middle with Toews and Schmaltz here for the unforeseen future,

Phoicon

Take these broken wings and learn to fly again.
Jan 26, 2018
Copenhagen

From your lips to GM Gorton's ears :) ... and we would pick him with NJD pick just to put more salt on more wounds.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
Just realized this kid hasn’t grown an inch since he was 13. Talk about hitting puberty early.

Toss it to Tanti

Mar 24, 2018
What are his major flaws? Seems like he has great vision, and outside of a shot that leaves a little to be desired, he seems like a player that would thrive once he gets out of Jack Hughes shadows. Putting up great numbers, there has to be something we're missing for him to be ranked as a late 2nd/early 3rd round pick for most people.

Footspeed an issue? What's a realisitic comp?

Would be thrilled if the Canucks snagged him with their 2nd.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What are his major flaws? Seems like he has great vision, and outside of a shot that leaves a little to be desired, he seems like a player that would thrive once he gets out of Jack Hughes shadows. Putting up great numbers, there has to be something we're missing for him to be ranked as a late 2nd/early 3rd round pick for most people.

Footspeed an issue? What's a realisitic comp?

Would be thrilled if the Canucks snagged him with their 2nd.

He does most things well. Good skater, good playmaker, he has skill, underrated shot that he doesn't use enough, hard working 200 foot player, good on face-offs, and he already has an NHL frame. The "flaw" people would point to is that he's a 5'10 center, but I don't think its an issue. He has 1C upside, and shouldn't be much worse than a 2C. There's a reason he was initially compared to Eichel. He plays a pretty complete game with a lot of talent.

I don't know where he'll be drafted, but I think he should be top 10-15.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Toss it to Tanti

Mar 24, 2018
He does most things well. Good skater, good playmaker, he has skill, underrated shot that he doesn't use enough, hard working 200 foot player, good on face-offs, and he already has an NHL frame. The "flaw" people would point to is that he's a 5'10 center, but I don't think its an issue. He has 1C upside, and shouldn't be much worse than a 2C. There's a reason he was initially compared to Eichel. He plays a pretty complete game with a lot of talent.

I don't know where he'll be drafted, but I think he should be top 10-15.

There has to be more flaws than that and in todays game 5'10 isn't really considered that small.

I've seen his shot, which is something he can definitely work on.

Could it maybe be his work ethic which some people question? Seeing as he was highly touted coming out of minor hockey, maybe the fact that he didn't hit that ceiling has some GMs/scouts questioning his commitment/work ethic off the ice.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
There has to be more flaws than that and in todays game 5'10 isn't really considered that small.

I've seen his shot, which is something he can definitely work on.

Could it maybe be his work ethic which some people question? Seeing as he was highly touted coming out of minor hockey, maybe the fact that he didn't hit that ceiling has some GMs/scouts questioning his commitment/work ethic off the ice.

I don't think there is. I think what we have here is a classic case of piling on. Things went against him the last 1.5 years with form and injuries, so the theory was that he must've not been that good. I don't think that was the case.

You are right that he was highly touted coming out of minor hockey, they were saying he'd be the next Eichel. He had a bad season last season, but just about every player on that team was bad last season, they underachieved bigly. So his stock was already dropping coming into this season, and then he got injured a few games into the season, which dropped his stock even more. He's only going to have half a draft season, that clearly doesn't help draft stock. Players usually find their way up the draft boards pretty slowly. If you drop 20-30 spots in 4 months because you aren't playing, it usually takes another 4 months to be able to go back up 20-30 spots, regardless of the reason you fell those spots.

It is true that he's not going to be the obvious 1C he was touted as a few years ago, but I don't see a drop in talent. The kid is putting up stats in the USHL that like 5 players have since 2000. He's very talented hockey player, and flaws in draft rankings shouldn't reflect poorly on what Wise is doing. As for his shot, I don't think its bad, I don't think he uses it enough. If you look at many of the goals he's scored this season and even last season, a number are outside shots. He can shoot the puck, but he's a pass-first player who doesn't shoot enough, so he's just not a big goal scorer right now.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Toss it to Tanti

Mar 24, 2018
I don't think there is. I think what we have here is a classic case of piling on. Things went against him the last 1.5 years with form and injuries, so the theory was that he must've not been that good. I don't think that was the case.

You are right that he was highly touted coming out of minor hockey, they were saying he'd be the next Eichel. He had a bad season last season, but just about every player on that team was bad last season, they underachieved bigly. So his stock was already dropping coming into this season, and then he got injured a few games into the season, which dropped his stock even more. He's only going to have half a draft season, that clearly doesn't help draft stock. Players usually find their way up the draft boards pretty slowly. If you drop 20-30 spots in 4 months because you aren't playing, it usually takes another 4 months to be able to go back up 20-30 spots, regardless of the reason you fell those spots.

It is true that he's not going to be the obvious 1C he was touted as a few years ago, but I don't see a drop in talent. The kid is putting up stats in the USHL that like 5 players have since 2000. He's very talented hockey player, and flaws in draft rankings shouldn't reflect poorly on what Wise is doing. As for his shot, I don't think its bad, I don't think he uses it enough. If you look at many of the goals he's scored this season and even last season, a number are outside shots. He can shoot the puck, but he's a pass-first player who doesn't shoot enough, so he's just not a big goal scorer right now.

Fair enough, by no means was I saying his shot was poor, just something that I think he could continue to improve.

With regards to his draft stock, that does make sense, and you're right, it's not often you see someone shoot up a draft board from the lower 80s to top 30, without having an all world type of year.

I think that this is going to be a player we look back in a couple years, and go "how did they get him there?", ala Brayden Point.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Jake Wise- Finally healthy, U.S. NTDP center showcases his all-around game

Nice interview with him. If he has a great U18s everyone will finally notice how much he has improved and i think he can get back in the first round.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Some players have difficulty in their first year with the NTDP, as this is the first time they are playing against significantly older competition. Wise was highly touted coming into the program, but think this became the issue with him last season. This season he probably would have shown that 2nd year growth a lot earlier, but injuries derailed the first half of his season.

Like others here, I think he should be a middle first round pick. If he slides, I would love to see Montreal bundle some of those 2nd round picks they have accumulated and move into the late first round to grab him, but I don't think Bergevin is that smart.

Reactions: Vachon23

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
Some players have difficulty in their first year with the NTDP, as this is the first time they are playing against significantly older competition. Wise was highly touted coming into the program, but think this became the issue with him last season. This season he probably would have shown that 2nd year growth a lot earlier, but injuries derailed the first half of his season.

Like others here, I think he should be a middle first round pick. If he slides, I would love to see Montreal bundle some of those 2nd round picks they have accumulated and move into the late first round to grab him, but I don't think Bergevin is that smart.

He should be availible for one of our 4 second round picks, I wouldn’t move up.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 2