C Jack Eichel - Boston University, NCAA (2015 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

uggstown

Nov 16, 2011
Unfortunately to the guy above, your "in at the NTDP" who is a USHL head scout, is misinformed. And he would say that to attract players to his team that may have already expressed interest in the NTDP program. 1 yr vs 2 yrs would be quite appealing to most, but its incorrect period! And yes uggs, you sign for 2yrs which is the U17 program and the intent is to sign for an additional 2 for the U18 program! The 2 teams play within the USHL. The program ends with U18s. There is a Mens U20 Team which is not part of the NTDP and allows selected players to participate in the Ivan Hlinka Tournament which includes Americans that are signed to an OHL Team. Peter Ward, who runs the NTDP, is a very close friend of mine so these are the facts!

What is the "additioinal 2" you and the other guy are talking about??
You sign on for 2 years. One year at U17 then the next one at U18 and then you are done. 2 year commitment, no additional 2.

U20's compete in the World Junior Championships, not Ivan Hlinka. Hlinka is a U18 tournament that typically features players not with the NTDP. I think there may have been 4-5 OHL players on last summer's team.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
So we agree that the NCAA is corrupt ?

Only a couple of hockey programs are even profitable. If you want to criticize their operating model, football sure is a bit of a sham in that the players generate massive revenue and don't see it in cash. Of course their scholarships are worth roughly 20-40k a year and the funds are used to support sports like hockey, baseball, soccer and others.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Only a couple of hockey programs are even profitable. If you want to criticize their operating model, football sure is a bit of a sham in that the players generate massive revenue and don't see it in cash. Of course their scholarships are worth roughly 20-40k a year and the funds are used to support sports like hockey, baseball, soccer and others.
Junior hockey makes money, but unless your a big team it's not much.

pavelich

Jul 16, 2009
Meanwhile, college guys can pay their way to go to NHL camps to train with and play against guys signed to professional contracts, many of whom have years of NHL experience, and be coached by an NHL coaching staff, all without retribution. Hmm...

An excellent point. I was not endorsing their logic.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
I'ts surprising. I would have kept him at least until next year after his USNTDP stint. Now they'll just have the 34th pick in the draft for releasing him.

Anyway, he will be drafted by another team this Saturday, just not in the 1st round!

Last edited:

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
That's really odd... I really thought they'd convince him.

something happened he was all but 100% in a moosehead jersey, so something behind the scenes went wrong, not sure what but could have been BU doing something under the table, could be something with Halifax fell through but he was convinced on coming up.....really weird.

bigbadbruins7

Dec 18, 2011
CT
I dont really know a lot about these junior drafts but I see he is eligible to be drafted again. Is there any chance that Halifax dropped him to get that pick and will pick him with a later pick? I'm assuming that other teams are afraid to waste a pick on him so maybe its some gamesmanship. could be way off here but just wondering

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I dont really know a lot about these junior drafts but I see he is eligible to be drafted again. Is there any chance that Halifax dropped him to get that pick and will pick him with a later pick? I'm assuming that other teams are afraid to waste a pick on him so maybe its some gamesmanship. could be way off here but just wondering

well never know, if Halifax does that though and Eichel does come up I could see the league making some big changes to that rule. it would be clever for sure if they did though.

bigbadbruins7

Dec 18, 2011
CT
well never know, if Halifax does that though and Eichel does come up I could see the league making some big changes to that rule. it would be clever for sure if they did though.

ok thanks. yeah i would assume that the league would not be too happy about that

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012
Halifax is looking at another 97 american forward to take in the later rounds in case this kid decides to go north in a year or two. So I think something fell through with Eichel I don't think he will be picked back up by them. Just my guess.

Last edited:

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
Is Halifax the only possible destination in the Q for Eichel? Or is that any word about whether he would consider a team like Saint John (Charlie Coyle, fellow Mass native and BU player went there) or BVB?

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012
Maybe they will use the second round pick on Hanifin....since apparently he is the only one down in New England still talking to Q. Eichal, White and Fitzgerald are not going north this year. Askew could be another possibility of someone still trying to work a deal. IMO

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Halifax GM Cam Russell comments:

“You could live with it for another year and take your chances,†Mooseheads general manager Cam Russell explained. “But then he could tell you 12 months from now he’s going to the USHL or to university to play. You could end up with a guy on your list for four years who never reports and you don’t get anything back for him. This was our only chance to get compensation for him so we decided that was the right way to go.

“We felt there were some good indications he would be coming last year but when he didn’t report, we still felt like there was a decent chance for next year,†Russell said. “He went to the national development program but we kept having good discussions with him and his family.

“He’s decided to go back to the national development program next year and is still very high on BU. We just felt the chances of getting him here were getting slimmer so we opted to take the second-round pick instead.â€

http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports/1133541-eichel-passes-on-moose#.Ua3meIWgO64.twitter

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Crushing news.. Was really hoping to see this kid in a Mooseheads jersey.

Better make up for it at the Import draft, Halifax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad