C Jack Eichel - Boston University, NCAA (2015 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012
You know what, Eichel should no doubt be a top 10 pick in his draft year. Whether he is number 1 or number 10 he will be in there. The fact is McDavid was the star at Worlds this year not Eichel. Eichel wasn't even a factor on the US team. He had a decent first game and then got less and less ice time. Whether that is because he was younger or because he wasn't dominant I do not know but he was not a factor game in game out like McDavid was. Eichel still has more to prove before everyone starts saying he would be the #1 pick. Worlds is the most recent performance and it was not strong on his part.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
You know what, Eichel should no doubt be a top 10 pick in his draft year. Whether he is number 1 or number 10 he will be in there. The fact is McDavid was the star at Worlds this year not Eichel. Eichel wasn't even a factor on the US team. He had a decent first game and then got less and less ice time. Whether that is because he was younger or because he wasn't dominant I do not know but he was not a factor game in game out like McDavid was. Eichel still has more to prove before everyone starts saying he would be the #1 pick. Worlds is the most recent performance and it was not strong on his part.

Lots to prove and lots to 'improve' on. Definitely saw his role diminish in the course of the U18.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I've only heard of him as a first rounder.

Eichel's on my radar because I watched him play against Canada at the U-17 this past year and he stole the show, looked as good as McDavid. Obviously no one's as good as McDavid, but Eichel hung with him for a whole game and that was extremely impressive to me.

NEhockeycoach

Sep 9, 2012
Jack will probably be a top 5 pick if he continues to develop. I think he should have gone to the Q this year. BU would be a waste of his time.

There is another great New England kid that could be a top 5 pick in that draft (Noah Hannafin).

Best New England (Massachusetts) draft ever? (or at least in quite some time)

We will see in a couple of years.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Jack will probably be a top 5 pick if he continues to develop. I think he should have gone to the Q this year. BU would be a waste of his time.

There is another great New England kid that could be a top 5 pick in that draft (Noah Hannafin).

Best New England (Massachusetts) draft ever? (or at least in quite some time)

We will see in a couple of years.
I've heard of Hanifin...

If you're a sure fire 1st rounder you should be in the CHL. Simple as that.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Not true at all. As a neutral fan when it comes to the CHL/NCAA debate, I look at the individual programs rather than the leagues. It's either Boston U. or Halifax both are good programs for their respective leagues. A player of Eichel's caliber couldn't really go wrong with either choice.

NEhockeycoach

Sep 9, 2012
Not true at all. As a neutral fan when it comes to the CHL/NCAA debate, I look at the individual programs rather than the leagues. It's either Boston U. or Halifax both are good programs for their respective leagues. A player of Eichel's caliber couldn't really go wrong with either choice.

While it seems like BU is a good program, (I'm from MA) they certainly don't prepare kids systematically for the NHL and that's why kids like Coyle left early. Even Nick Bonino didn't transition to the NHL game right away.

Not saying that NCAA isn't a viable option to get to the NHL, if you talk to coaches and people around the league, the kids come much more prepared from the CHL as opposed to the NCAA.

Of course there are examples of people playing in various leagues, and having success.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
While it seems like BU is a good program, (I'm from MA) they certainly don't prepare kids systematically for the NHL and that's why kids like Coyle left early. Even Nick Bonino didn't transition to the NHL game right away.

Not saying that NCAA isn't a viable option to get to the NHL, if you talk to coaches and people around the league, the kids come much more prepared from the CHL as opposed to the NCAA.

Of course there are examples of people playing in various leagues, and having success.

these blanket statements really annoy me.

it is always an individual basis and program basis. simply stating the kids coming out of the CHL instead of college are going to be better prepared for the NHL is stupid.

If that was the case, Brett Connolly, Nino, Gormley, Johansen, etc would all be tearing up the NHl right now...err wait...

That Justin Schultz really struggled this year coming from college? His defense was poor in college so don't even state that as it isn't his game.

I think it simply depends on the player and team they come from.

If anything, being the hypocrite that I am, I think college prepares smaller players and project players better for the NHL than the CHL. I also like defensemen that stay at least 3 years coming out of college hockey over the CHL...it is all about working out and system play in the NCAA as well as playing against bigger, stronger, and older competition as opposed to the CHL..

both avenues are fine ways to develop young players...

dwanmaster*

Lol, top tier programs like Minnesota and Quinnipiac would run over CHL teams.

NEhockeycoach

Sep 9, 2012

If anything, being the hypocrite that I am, I think college prepares smaller players and project players better for the NHL than the CHL. I also like defensemen that stay at least 3 years coming out of college hockey over the CHL...it is all about working out and system play in the NCAA as well as playing against bigger, stronger, and older competition as opposed to the CHL..

I agree that most smaller players use the extra years to develop better in college hockey. By the time they leave they're much older and mature, and are still very good NHL players.

I was speaking towards the very high end prospects. If you're 18 years old, and considered to be a first round draft pick I think that the CHL is a better option for a player like Jack. Too many Americans dismiss it because there isn't a degree in the cards. Even though most kids leave for the NHL after two of three seasons.

There definitely isn't one, sure fire, way to develop every hockey player.

Last edited:

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Definitely not, but it's better for him to fast track. Get acclimated to the pro game.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.

it is always an individual basis and program basis. simply stating the kids coming out of the CHL instead of college are going to be better prepared for the NHL is stupid.

If that was the case, Brett Connolly, Nino, Gormley, Johansen, etc would all be tearing up the NHl right now...err wait...

That Justin Schultz really struggled this year coming from college? His defense was poor in college so don't even state that as it isn't his game.

Way to take my post out of context.

WeissFC

@WeissFC
Mar 11, 2010
www.futureconsiderations.ca
I've heard of Hanifin...

Could you make a better case that surefire 1st round picks do better in the CHL than in the NCAA? Probably. Is the only route for surefire 1st rounders? Definitely not. I don't think choosing one over the other is a make-or-break decision and whatever the player wants to do should be fine with everyone.

I think the only time there is little debate on what a American born player should do is cases like Reid Boucher and Ryan Hartman who have bad birthdays and couldn't accelerate through high school fast enough to go to college for their draft year. Both players were ready for the next step and would not have benefited from another season in the USHL.

Granted Boucher wasn't a first rounder and Hartman by most accounts wasn't a first rounder this summer, but decision wise I think these are the only players who should go the CHL route if they are unable to step into the NCAA after having nothing left to prove at the USHL level.

Mr Celly

May 15, 2013
Halifax, NS
Getting Eichel to report to Halifax would be very big news. I think he would come in 2014-15, but have other players left after one year with NDTP?

Also, with Nate and Jo maybe leaving, the spotlight could be his for the taking. Things to think about, Mr. Eichel...

Last edited:

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
Getting Eichel to report to Halifax would be very big news. I think he would come in 2014-15, but have other players left after one year with USNTP?

Also, with Nate and Jo maybe leaving, the spotlight could be his for the taking. Things to think about, Mr. Eichel...

The most interesting part of this rumor is that Eichel only signed a 1yr deal with the NDTP, don' think i've heard this happening before with the NDTP

guess will know more about this in the summer.

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012
Definitely not, but it's better for him to fast track. Get acclimated to the pro game.

Why is getting acclimated to the pro game quickly better for him? What is wrong with getting a better education a little longer and going to the pros when you are physically and mentally ready. What is the rush? Unless you are extremely gifted like a Crosby or Patrick Kane what is the rush...

Mr Celly

May 15, 2013
Halifax, NS
The most interesting part of this rumor is that Eichel only signed a 1yr deal with the NDTP, don' think i've heard this happening before with the NDTP

guess will know more about this in the summer.

I thought that rumour was shot down, but we can hope. Summer's going to interesting. Hopefully we can get this confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad