C Jack Eichel - Boston University, NCAA (2015 Draft) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clock

May 13, 2006
You've gotta be pretty disconnected from reality if you're really offended by this.

At worst I'd say he should be allergic to cameras when drinking and invoking anything NHL-related while doing it is a bit dense, but all of that is sort of superseded by the whole "he's 18" thing.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Name me this player...I'm a 2-time Stanley Cup Champion, 2-time Olympic gold medallist, and the current captain of the Chicago Blackhawks...there's also a pic of me on twitter hitting a beer bong at the age of 18-19 during my 2 years at North Dakota.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
With phone-cameras ubiquitous, the actions of every public figure readily become public knowledge. Unless someone like Eichel adopts a monk's lifestyle away from the rink, he'll inevitably do something "controversial", that will offend or disappoint someone, somewhere.

Frankly, I couldn't care less about him hoisting a few beers with his teammates and friends after a huge BU victory.

Let's get back to discussing his hockey activities.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I'd be more worried if an 18 year old hockey player wasn't drinking beer haha.

He'd have to be a total outcast.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Man, leave the guy alone. He's young, he's a consensus top 2 pick in one of the most hyped draft in years and he's living his life. Does anyone remember Toews when he was 18? (Realizes the pic was already posted haha)

This won't affect his NHL career. If anything it strengthens the bond to any team (in particular Buffalo since they're likely to get him) he is drafted by since he was thinking of them while drunk.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Hold on, are you implying that it is a CRIMINAL offense in some states to drink underage? Not some regulatory offense but a criminal offense? If so, that is just asinine.

Not implying, it is true. Not sure if all states do it but I know for a fact there are underage drinking laws that can and do result in criminal charges if someone underage is caught consuming alcohol. Yes it is stupid but it does happen.

Shwaguy*

Name me this player...I'm a 2-time Stanley Cup Champion, 2-time Olympic gold medallist, and the current captain of the Chicago Blackhawks...there's also a pic of me on twitter hitting a beer bong at the age of 18-19 during my 2 years at North Dakota.

Him and TJ Oshie got arrested for Drinking Underrage :laugh:

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
Back to hockey talk.....

let's just say he goes to Buffalo (80% chance), who does he play with and how many points does he score? Goals and assists? 30 goals first season?

Heres mine for example:
I think he'll play with Ennis and/or Moulson to go along with Evander Kane.
He could easily be a 25/30+30 guy first year.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
I'd be more worried if an 18 year old hockey player wasn't drinking beer haha.

He'd have to be a total outcast.

This makes me think of Jimmy Carson, one of the key guys in the Gretzky trade. He didn't drink and had trouble bonding with his teammates, most if not all of whom did. I would speculate that his early retirement from the NHL was largely because of this, he didn't love the NHL lifestyle.

He's done well for himself since retirement, though, I hear he's really successful in real estate now.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I've seen a lot more of McDavid than I have of Eichel, so I'm wondering, just how good is he? Do you think he projects to be as good as Tavares? Possibly even Stamkos?

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Back to hockey talk.....

let's just say he goes to Buffalo (80% chance), who does he play with and how many points does he score? Goals and assists? 30 goals first season?

Heres mine for example:
I think he'll play with Ennis and/or Moulson to go along with Evander Kane.
He could easily be a 25/30+30 guy first year.

This is what I might foresee:

Buffalo:

Kane - Eichel - Moulson
Eichel: 31 - 38 - 69

Arizona:

Boedker - Eichel - Gagner
Eichel: 28 - 35 - 63

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
As someone that hasn't had a drop of alcohol in a long time (probably a year at least) and has never smoked a gram of marijuana, I have no problem with what Eichel was caught doing. 21 is dumb drinking age and you can bet that any player his age in Alberta/Manitoba/Quebec would be drinking after winning an important game. I'd even bet that many go out for a drink after every game and kids on teams in BC/Saskatchewan/Maritime love road trips that take them to the lower aged provinces.

I prefer something like:

Hall-Eichel-Yakupov ;)

I imagine if they re-sign Roy they'll keep him with Yak. Hall-Eichel-Lander/Purcell seems more likely, with Lander potentially taking faceoffs depending on how he does early on. I'll predict 25-40-65 because while Hall would be the best winger he could get on any of the three teams most likely to get him, he'll have to fight hard for his PP time.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I've seen a lot more of McDavid than I have of Eichel, so I'm wondering, just how good is he? Do you think he projects to be as good as Tavares? Possibly even Stamkos?

I'd say he's clearly a better calibre prospect than RNH, Hall, Seguin, MacKinnon, Yakupov, etc. He's the biggest out of these guys, a strong two-way player, he plays centre, he has the single season scoring record for the USDP, and I'm fairly certain he's currently on pace to be the highest scoring player for his age in the NCAA since Kariya.

Some NCAA comparisons from relatively high 1st round picks (Parise only one that wasn't a top 5 pick)

Kessel - 51 pts (18G) in 39 games
Parise - 61 pts (26G) in 39 games
Vanek - 62 pts(31G) in 45 games
Toews - 39 pts (22G) in 42 games

Eichel - 50 pts (16G) in 30 games, on pace for ~67 pts (21G) in 40 games

He's a legitimate candidate to win the Hobey Baker award as a freshman, which I don't think has happened since Kariya.

I'd put Eichel right up there with Tavares/Stamkos as one of the top 5 prospects in the league since Crosby.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
I'd say he's clearly a better calibre prospect than RNH, Hall, Seguin, MacKinnon, Yakupov, etc. He's the biggest out of these guys, a strong two-way player, he plays centre, he has the single season scoring record for the USDP, and I'm fairly certain he's currently on pace to be the highest scoring player for his age in the NCAA since Kariya.

Some NCAA comparisons from relatively high 1st round picks (Parise only one that wasn't a top 5 pick)

Kessel - 51 pts (18G) in 39 games
Parise - 61 pts (26G) in 39 games
Vanek - 62 pts(31G) in 45 games
Toews - 39 pts (22G) in 42 games

Eichel - 50 pts (16G) in 30 games, on pace for ~67 pts (21G) in 40 games

He's a legitimate candidate to win the Hobey Baker award as a freshman, which I don't think has happened since Kariya.

I'd put Eichel right up there with Tavares/Stamkos as one of the top 5 prospects in the league since Crosby.

I think he in the same tier as a prospect as MacKinnon, Hall, and Stamkos.

Funny some people on hf take that as an insult

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad