C Elias Pettersson - Växjö Lakers HC, SHL (2017, 5th, VAN) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scorevat53

Sep 16, 2015
Manitoba
Kent nilssons u20 record is in danger. That record is over 40 years old!

I mean its possible? Pettersson does have 32P in 23GP but he is producing at a 1.39PPG vs Kent Nilsson's 1.5PPG.
To break the record "points wise" what does he need to maintain? Do they play more games then Kent did?

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I mean its possible? Pettersson does have 32P in 23GP but he is producing at a 1.39PPG vs Kent Nilsson's 1.5PPG.
To break the record "points wise" what does he need to maintain? Do they play more games then Kent did?
Given the era and adjustment in goals, this kid is trending toward the greatest season by a U-20 in SEL history. Even if he finishes short of Nilsson (PPG and total points-wise), what he's doing in today's game is more impressive, as far as I'm concerned.

IMO, he's looking like the kind of player who could one day be a top 10C in the NHL.

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
he would need to get 23 in 29, so if he maintains a decent pace he will beat it.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Who cares about records? Nilsson record over 20 years old. The absolute fact is the Pettersson is hands down the best u20 SHL player in past 20 years.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Who cares about records? Nilsson record over 20 years old. The absolute fact is the Pettersson is hands down the best u20 SHL player in past 20 years.
Try 41 years old...

But yeah basically Elias is the best u20 player in shl in 40 years. Even before gretzkys era.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
sole possession of 1st place in scoring lead in the Swedish elite league as an 18 year old.

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
sole possession of 1st place in scoring lead in the Swedish elite league as an 18 year old.

We get so fixated on the historic U20 scoring tables, but really, that stat alone should tell you all you need to know about Pettersson and how he's coming along.

What I find most intriguing about Pettersson's development is that I watched the 10+ game package that Jetsalternate put together, and I came away thinking Lias Andersson was the player driving the play last year. Pettersson showed some glimpses, but he was just too raw for my liking. To see how far Pettersson has come along in such a short time is just staggering.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
We get so fixated on the historic U20 scoring tables, but really, that stat alone should tell you all you need to know about Pettersson and how he's coming along.

What I find most intriguing about Pettersson's development is that I watched the 10+ game package that Jetsalternate put together, and I came away thinking Lias Andersson was the player driving the play last year. Pettersson showed some glimpses, but he was just too raw for my liking. To see how far Pettersson has come along in such a short time is just staggering.

I often went back and forth with jets alternate on that video and the wjc in general, people can disagree but I place very little emphasis on those short tournaments, I almost entirely watch what a prospect does in their league over the course of the entire season, boeser had an awful world jr, and juolevi's world jr on a stacked team supposedly lead us to take him over sergachev, keller, tkachuk.

I just dont like short tournaments with small sample sizes, with players who have not played much together and certain teams are clearly several classes above others. With that said for example if you look at nylander who did well in the shl and world jr, then all the better and its a nice bonus.

Imo it can also take players lengthy adjustment periods to adapt to different rink sizes, I still think it took kuznetsov a year to adapt to the nhl ice.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I often went back and forth with jets alternate on that video and the wjc in general, people can disagree but I place very little emphasis on those short tournaments, I almost entirely watch what a prospect does in their league over the course of the entire season, boeser had an awful world jr, and juolevi's world jr on a stacked team supposedly lead us to take him over sergachev, keller, tkachuk.

I just dont like short tournaments with small sample sizes, with players who have not played much together and certain teams are clearly several classes above others. With that said for example if you look at nylander who did well in the shl and world jr, then all the better and its a nice bonus.

Imo it can also take players lengthy adjustment periods to adapt to different rink sizes, I still think it took kuznetsov a year to adapt to the nhl ice.

anytime he's represented Sweden at any tournament, ANY tourny he seems to not do much. That's a proven fact. Not a liability, but not ripping it up either.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
anytime he's represented Sweden at any tournament, ANY tourny he seems to not do much. That's a proven fact. Not a liability, but not ripping it up either.
On the other side, his numbers are fantastic in every regular season league he played in.

People should take more stock into regular season.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

I dont think anyone said anything different...

He did quite well at the 4 nations tournament for sweden but it was on bigger ice if I recall. Its going to be an adjustment period for him on north america ice.

I would be shocked if someone his caliber putting up these numbers cant adjust, but people can continue to doubt him based on these short tournaments on small ice. We can revisit this later.

Last edited:

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Canuck fans should be well aware that dominating the WJC doesnt equate to NHL succrss.
( cody hodgson, jordan schroeder)

Were hoping Juolevi doesnt fall under those terms as well.

Reactions: jd22

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Canuck fans should be well aware that dominating the WJC doesnt equate to NHL succrss.
( cody hodgson, jordan schroeder)

Were hoping Juolevi doesnt fall under those terms as well.
he is dominating SHL. It is only his detractors that bring up short tournaments which he has been injured in a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad