C Elias Pettersson - Timra IK, Allsvenskan (2017, 5th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
I don't think he will ever be an explosive skater, but if he can work up a "puck protection butt" like Thornton and Jagr have, he'll have it made as a great center. He has the height, the IQ and the hands.
Thornton and Jagr are both 6'4 and 220+ lbs with huge reach and elite skill.

I think it's safe to say Pettersson will never have a Thornton or Jagr frame or even "butt"

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Thornton and Jagr are both 6'4 and 220+ lbs with huge reach and elite skill.

I think it's safe to say Pettersson will never have a Thornton or Jagr frame or even "butt"

Probably end up being Henrik Sedin build, which is a whopping 6'2 182.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Maybe he should not play so much hockey for a year and focus just on building up his body.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Henrik is not 182, his weight hasn't been updated in over 10 years on nhl.com. He is likely around 200.

https://www.nhl.com/player/henrik-sedin-8467876 this is accurate and updated by the Canucks staff to the NHL yearly

hockedb on the other hand is not. He's always hovered around that since he made the NHL. He's really not a big guy.

185ish is probably where petterson tops out at.

Yeah, and Sedin have had an awful career, yikes.
??????

rickardr

Oct 10, 2016
Sweden
I dont think a Sedin-like career is that bad
:help:The disrespect the Sedins still get is mind boggling to me

That's what I ment, its not a bad comparison. To me it sounded like the other guy was ironic about Sedin's height and weight, so I was ironic back ;) Maybe it didn't go thru :yo:

And btw, I love the Sedins. They are from my home town :popcorn:

Roy Baby*

Sep 28, 2015
Phoenix,AZ
That's what I ment, its not a bad comparison. To me it sounded like the other guy was ironic about Sedin's height and weight, so I was ironic back ;) Maybe it didn't go thru :yo:

And btw, I love the Sedins. They are from my home town :popcorn:

I caught the sarcasm in seconds :laugh: how did so many people miss that ? Wow

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Great pick Vancouver. I don't care for the petty differences between fan bases (particularly with every Canadian fan base and Toronto as a Leaf fan). This was a very, very good pick. Was very high on him pre-draft. I think he ends up as the best forward from the draft AINEC.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Ovy had a down year but Bäckis is up there in points like he always is..

Well Pettersson isn't likely to have an Ovechkin on his wing - even a "down year" version - at any point in his career which is the post I was responding to. It's the kind of thing that can make the difference between being a 80-90 point player and a 60-70 point player, esp for playmakers. Points aren't solely the outcome of your own personal skill level but also that of your linemates and team philosophy. Pettersson could have a similar skill level to Backstrom and never consistently reach his point levels.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
90 points is not his ceiling, more like 88-89.

I think more then trying to guess peak point totals it might be better just saying top 5, top 10, top 20, top 50, etc in points because who knows how the game might change in 5-10 years(we can go back to where we have like a bunch of 90+ point guys for instance or it can sort of stay the same as now where only a handful of guys average a PPG)

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
https://www.nhl.com/player/henrik-sedin-8467876 this is accurate and updated by the Canucks staff to the NHL yearly

hockedb on the other hand is not. He's always hovered around that since he made the NHL. He's really not a big guy.

185ish is probably where petterson tops out at.

??????

The roster is not updated annually. Last year was the first time changes had been made in years, and only to certain players. For example, Hansen consistently being listed 191, 194 being the recent change, while he actually plays at closer to 210.

The Sedins were in an opposite position to EP in that at the draft they were 200 lbs and out of shape. They have cut weight and play 185ish due to their tremendous work ethic and diligence. EP is not going to be cutting, he needs to gain.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
The roster is not updated annually. Last year was the first time changes had been made in years, and only to certain players. For example, Hansen consistently being listed 191, 194 being the recent change, while he actually plays at closer to 210.

The Sedins were in an opposite position to EP in that at the draft they were 200 lbs and out of shape. They have cut weight and play 185ish due to their tremendous work ethic and diligence. EP is not going to be cutting, he needs to gain.

Yes and he needs to gain a crapton of weight. I don't get people who just assume he'll automatically fill out and have it not be a problem in the NHL.

If that were true there would be no slight players in the NHL who are weak and easy to knock off the puck. Of course he'll gain weight as he gets older but the only thing that matters is how strong he is relatively against his peers.

Being able to play in traffic down low is pretty much an essential skill if you want to be a top line forward. It's still unknown if petterson can develop his physical self to be able to withstand that.

He could easily be as frail and slight as a Mason Raymond was.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Great pick Vancouver. I don't care for the petty differences between fan bases (particularly with every Canadian fan base and Toronto as a Leaf fan). This was a very, very good pick. Was very high on him pre-draft. I think he ends up as the best forward from the draft AINEC.

he has a very small chance of being the best forward from the draft, definitely not AINEC.
Realistically, I can't see him being better than Hischier.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
With the talk of this guy it makes it sound like this should have been the Pettersson draft.

Patrick and Hischier are still a tier above as prospects.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
With the talk of this guy it makes it sound like this should have been the Pettersson draft.

Patrick and Hischier are still a tier above as prospects.

from everything I've heard, the only thing holding Pettersson back from being the runaway best player in this draft is his weight, and doubts on whether he could fill out - we just have to wait and see on that one

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
from everything I've heard, the only thing holding Pettersson back from being the runaway best player in this draft is his weight, and doubts on whether he could fill out - we just have to wait and see on that one

So GM's picked other guys above him for fear that he could not gain weight?

And only 1 out of 12 of these rankings even had him in the top 5...at #5.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2017-draft/2017-nhl-draft-rankings

Hopefully he pans out as it will help take the sting away from Virtanen.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Didn't take long for Pettersson to become the most overrated prospect in the game.

You'd think Canucks fans would be a bit more reserved after previous hyped prospects Hodgson, Schroeder, Shinkaruk, McCann, Virtanen, Jensen, Gaunce, Cassels, Corrado, Rodin and even Juolevi have disappointed and haven't come close to meeting the ridiculous expectations placed upon them.

But keep believing that Pettersson is a steal at 5 based on a couple prospect camp scrimmages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad