C Elias Pettersson - Timra IK, Allsvenskan (2017, 5th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
The implication is we could have received another pick, moved down and still got our guy which was Petterson who was rated 8-10.

That video is so inconclusive it is is crazy.

People act like he he stood up and shouted "PETTERSSON".

Plus there is zero proof those 2 occurred simultaneously.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
he has to potential to hit 90 points in the NHL, his skill and IQ is absolutely elite. The fact that this 165lb kid was dummying older, experienced players in a mens league is a testament to his capabilities. Imagine when he puts 25 more pounds on his frame, he will be a rich man's Zetterberg. I've been a fan since early 90's and I have never seen this type of skill from a canucks prospect since Bure. I can't believe he dropped to 5th overall, he will emerge as the best player out of this draft

Rich man's Zetterberg?

So basically the best player in the league, then.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
...yeeeah...you should take a look through this thread AND the nucks board.

Were pretty balanced on our board with give and take and the majority are here as well. I get you were not his biggest fan but its not like people dont see plus's and minus's with him right now just like most top picks.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
The implication is we could have received another pick, moved down and still got our guy which was Petterson who was rated 8-10.

Vegas was one spot behind Vancouver, so were you getting much more than a 3rd or 4th? I don't think it makes a huge difference. Vancouver got the guy they wanted.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Saying Pettersson has the potential to reach 90 points isn't being predicative or saying he will, it's literally just evaluating his raw skill set. I think it's almost completely unlikely he ever reaches that level but the way he plays is very favourable in the modern NHL and gives him a huge advantage.

If any fan base knows to temper their high picks expectations it's us.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Were pretty balanced on our board with give and take and the majority are here as well. I get you were not his biggest fan but its not like people dont see plus's and minus's with him right now just like most top picks.

If Im a fan of Elias or not dosnt matter, Im just calling out fans that cant curb their enthusiasm.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
He definitely has 90 point potential, extremely skilled with high IQ is basically the perfect combination in the NHL.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
He definitely has 90 point potential, extremely skilled with high IQ is basically the perfect combination in the NHL.

I don't know why people are getting so fussed about this. He definitely has 90 point POTENTIAL. There is certainly no guarantee he hits it and it's probably unlikely, but this guy has no weaknesses in his game other than strength and the sky is the limit if everything clicks.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I don't know why people are getting so fussed about this. He definitely has 90 point POTENTIAL. There is certainly no guarantee he hits it and it's probably unlikely, but this guy has no weaknesses in his game other than strength and the sky is the limit if everything clicks.

That's the beauty of it, strength/conditioning is the easiest thing to fix. You can't teach instincts and hockey IQ, that's something you just develop throughout your life.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
That's the beauty of it, strength/conditioning is the easiest thing to fix. You can't teach instincts and hockey IQ, that's something you just develop throughout your life.

"Fix" is the wrong word for this. He will get his strength and weight up to some level higher than it is now but who knows where his max peak is. Chances are it will be in the lower percentile of NHL players so it may always be a limiting factor for him. It doesn't mean he wasn't a good pick, but you can't just sweep it away as irrelevant or something that will someday be non-existent.

Sheik Yerbouti

Sep 12, 2008

Because only one player scored over 90pts last year and his name was Connor McDavid.

Crosby 89pts
Kane 89pts....

I'm a Canuck fan and to say Pettersson has the potential to score more than Crosby and Kane is being a little ridiculous. He has the potential to be a top line center but 90pts these days is a huge deal.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

But at a certain point probability has to come into play in these pronouncements, even when you caveat it with phrases like "potential".

I mean, does it work if I say Pettersson has 130 point "potential"? He's unlikely to hit it but I'm just saying it's his "potential".

Personally I think saying someone has the "potential" to reach a certain threshold should require a certain level of likelihood beyond a wish & prayer type of thing.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I think a reasonable "potential" for Pettersson would be 60-70ish points in his prime.

That sounds about right IMO. It's close to what David Pastrnak put up this year and they are similarly skilled players. I think some of my fellow Canuck fans are getting a tad carried away with how high they see Pettersson's upside. Yes his hands and vision are high end but his skating is only "good" and his frame/strength will be a challenge for him long term IMO.

He's easily our best prospect since the Sedins but he's hardly the next Kane or Crosby either.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I think a reasonable "potential" for Pettersson would be 60-70ish points in his prime.

Doesn't seem like potential, more like a guess or a projection. Probably a fair one, but it is far to early to limit his potential to just that. I'd put his potential around Backstrom's level and he's no 60-70 pointer.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Doesn't seem like potential, more like a guess or a projection. Probably a fair one, but it is far to early to limit his potential to just that. I'd put his potential around Backstrom's level and he's no 60-70 pointer.

He might be without one of the top 5 goal scorers of all time patrolling his wing...

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Because only one player scored over 90pts last year and his name was Connor McDavid.

Crosby 89pts
Kane 89pts....

I'm a Canuck fan and to say Pettersson has the potential to score more than Crosby and Kane is being a little ridiculous. He has the potential to be a top line center but 90pts these days is a huge deal.

It doesnt mean hes going to hit 90 each year or 90 at all. It just means theres a possibility that he may hit 90 once in a career year in his career. Not that out of this world. The key word is potential. Corey Perry has hit 98 points before. Is he a 90 point player? Not even close. He could hit 65-70 each year and hit 90 once and i wouldnt be surprised.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
It doesnt mean hes going to hit 90 each year or 90 at all. It just means theres a possibility that he may hit 90 once in a career year in his career. Not that out of this world. The key word is potential. Corey Perry has hit 98 points before. Is he a 90 point player? Not even close. He could hit 65-70 each year and hit 90 once and i wouldnt be surprised.

Eh, I don't think his skill level is *that* high, at least based on the current scoring levels where 90 pts is top 2/3 in league scoring.

No offense to my fellow Canuck fans but let's dial back the enthusiasm a tad. He had a very good year in tier 2 Swedish league, a so-so WJC, was drafted 2-4 spots higher than most rankings projected, and looked good in a glorified game of summer shinny.

Suddenly a 60-70 points ceiling isn't enough? He has to have quasi-Art Ross "potential"?

Im all for enjoying the unbridled potential of a prospect who hasn't yet produced a disappointing season to temper expectations but this all seems a tad ... overboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad