C Dylan Strome (2015, 3rd, ARI; traded to CHI) III

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Saint John is soooo bad that they just thumped the WHL Champs in an elimination game. No wonder Strome was so dominant against these cream puffs. Haha. This thread delivers!!!

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Dylan Strome is going to score a lot of points in the NHL for a very long time and the people dumping on him right now are going to look really, really stupid.

This sort of bigger, slower, strong-on-the-puck playmaking center always takes longer to develop and peaks later than small speedy shifty guys the same age. You'd think people would have learned this by now from the premature angst about guys like this from Joe Thornton all the way through to Leon Draisaitl.

(mod)

Last edited by a moderator:

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
The same things that have been said about Strome for the past year and a half were the exact same things people said about Leon Draisaitl as a prospect. Give Dylan some time.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Saint John is soooo bad that they just thumped the WHL Champs in an elimination game. No wonder Strome was so dominant against these cream puffs. Haha. This thread delivers!!!

Nah it's just that Seattle was soooo bad too! Just a tournament full of awful champions of course. That's definitely it.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
QMJHL champs were just horrific this season. Obviously that stat line holds no value and was completely unimpressive. Is this the consensus narrative?

They gave up 12 goals in a championship level game. They cant be that great... That entire game was honestly an embarassment. No checking, no hitting, no push back physically while getting throttled. Then to win 7-0 the next night, really makes you wonder... Atleast in the RBC final both teams put everything on the line and played like they were in a real hockey game.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
They gave up 12 goals in a championship level game. They cant be that great... That entire game was honestly an embarassment. No checking, no hitting, no push back physically while getting throttled. Then to win 7-0 the next night, really makes you wonder... Atleast in the RBC final both teams put everything on the line and played like they were in a real hockey game.

Yes. Quebec team gave up because the other team kept scoring. Doesn't diminish that Erie caused that situation to happen with their play and Strome was a key part of it.

Nobody is saying a Strome is the next Gretzky. But acknowledging an awesome achievement was warranted. Sometimes it's okay to say nice things about a prospect.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
7 points in a Memorial cup game is crazy, no need to downplay it. Good for him, I felt he could've been a bit better in the playoffs; so taking his game to the next level in the best on best tournament is good to see.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I still like him. Think he has a Spezza like career; quiet at times, but a threat when he is on. I like the way he gets emotional when challenged, I'd bet money his skating will be his least concern at his peak. Coyotes are a good place for him to develop sans pressure.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
7 points in a Memorial cup game is crazy, no need to downplay it. Good for him, I felt he could've been a bit better in the playoffs; so taking his game to the next level in the best on best tournament is good to see.

He had the flu for the London series. His coach gives him basically all the icetime he can handle without collapsing, in all situations. He's on the ice when there's 40 seconds left and it's a 1 goal game. He's on the ice for every important faceoff in the game if he's not tired. He has clearly kicked it up a notch from the lackadaisical Dylan Strome we're all more familiar with.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Compared to the teams the OHL pumps out, yeah they're bad in that context.

The top Q teams are just as good as the top OHL teams, don't be ridiculous. Hell the last couple years have had quite a few Q champions.

Just look at their roster, they have how many NHL drafted players? It was a bad game, and Strome took full advantage of it being the great player he is.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
He had the flu for the London series. His coach gives him basically all the icetime he can handle without collapsing, in all situations. He's on the ice when there's 40 seconds left and it's a 1 goal game. He's on the ice for every important faceoff in the game if he's not tired. He has clearly kicked it up a notch from the lackadaisical Dylan Strome we're all more familiar with.

Makes sense. Hopefully he can win the Memorial cup.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Ncaa
ohl

ushl
whl

qmjhl
jr a

jrb

:shakehead

For example, the Moncton Wildcats Iced what was essentially a Jr.A team in the second half of the season in the Q. You could basically call it a junior A all-star team as they still had some Q players and players who were top junior A players. They won I believe ONE of their last 35 games.

The Q is not just one little tier above junior A. :laugh: They are right there with the WHL and OHL.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
wow congrats on setting a new record. Did people knock him for his first go around in the NHL? I thought I remembered people saying he was really underdeveloped for the NHL at that time and that the system didn't fit his play well. Seems like whenever a prospect doesn't light it up right away they just get piled on. I remember some of this kind of talk about Drouin too.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
wow congrats on setting a new record. Did people knock him for his first go around in the NHL? I thought I remembered people saying he was really underdeveloped for the NHL at that time and that the system didn't fit his play well. Seems like whenever a prospect doesn't light it up right away they just get piled on. I remember some of this kind of talk about Drouin too.

Draisaitl was considered a bust by many of the less knowledgeable posters here too for the same reason. Strome will be just fine.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The same things that have been said about Strome for the past year and a half were the exact same things people said about Leon Draisaitl as a prospect. Give Dylan some time.

You could switch Leon Draisitl with Mikhail Grigorenko and it would be just as true *shrug*

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Dylan Strome is going to score a lot of points in the NHL for a very long time and the people dumping on him right now are going to look really, really stupid.

This sort of bigger, slower, strong-on-the-puck playmaking center always takes longer to develop and peaks later than small speedy shifty guys the same age. You'd think people would have learned this by now from the premature angst about guys like this from Joe Thornton all the way through to Leon Draisaitl.

(mod)

Yup, he is going to be a special player for the Coyotes. Many Coyote posters were down on Strome because of the way he performed at training camp and for the few games he had in the NHL this year. Strome had a terrible rookie and training camp, and I think it was because of being over confident as he almost made the team year prior. I believe Strome and Keller are the Coyote's best prospects, and will end up being our best players.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
He got the Otters' 3rd goal in a 6-3 win. It wasn't the game winner. Sea Dogs are awful. If he can't even score a game winner against a joke of a team then how is he ever going to be an NHL player?

He's so far from clutch I'm going to start calling him the passenger side door. Also because he's a passenger no matter what line he's on.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00