C Dylan Strome (2015, 3rd, ARI; traded to CHI) III

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
3g 3a 20/26 on faceoffs tonight at the memorial cup. Safe to say he has shed the big game choker label.

Beating up on a bad team isnt going to change the fact that he cant make decisions fast enough when the speed elevates.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Beating up on a bad team isnt going to change the fact that he cant make decisions fast enough when the speed elevates.

QMJHL champs were just horrific this season. Obviously that stat line holds no value and was completely unimpressive. Is this the consensus narrative?

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
QMJHL champs were just horrific this season. Obviously that stat line holds no value and was completely unimpressive. Is this the consensus narrative?

Compared to the teams the OHL pumps out, yeah they're bad in that context.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I have been a Strome supporter for awhile when other people trash him, I am just pointing out scoring alot of points in a blowout(which I pointed out has minimal implications for the way Erie will be seated in the round robin portion of the tournament) really doesn't scream "clutch" although it is quite impressive none the less. I never seen one Islanders fan actively root against Strome to bust either

It's a blowout against an elite CHL champion. It's not like they were just mopping the floor with the lowly Guelph Storm. This was St Johns, an elite team with elite talent. And it wasn't just any blowout, it was a blowout of holistoric proportions. And it wasn't "a lot" of points. It was the most points in the entire history of the tournament.

Just concede.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Are you guys okay? You do realize that Strome and his Otters are ALSO the OHL champions, right? Hah. Wow.

What are you talking about?

It means that this QMJHL champ is not at the same level of this year's Otters team or last year's Knights team.

There were probably 3 or 4 OHL teams that were better than the Sea Dogs this year.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'll never understand when people root so hard for prospects to fail that they can't even acknowledge when they have a positive moment.

Really weird.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
It's a blowout against an elite CHL champion. It's not like they were just mopping the floor with the lowly Guelph Storm. This was St Johns, an elite team with elite talent. And it wasn't just any blowout, it was a blowout of holistoric proportions. And it wasn't "a lot" of points. It was the most points in the entire history of the tournament.

Just concede.

Once again I said it was impressive, but not sure it screams clutch. Impressive is getting 7 points(hell even 4 or 5 points) in a Memorial Cup Tournament game, clutch would be getting 1 goal a 1-0 final game of the memorial cup or even the O/T winner

Last edited:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Well the hate for Dylan Strome is alive and well. Hilarious. Wonder if the posters that are downplaying a memorial cup record do the same for other scoring records?

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
SNB were the 2nd ranked team in the CHL. You are making stuff up.

I watched a lot of Junior hockey this year, and I'd bet anything that the Otters, Attack and Grey Hounds would have beat the Sea Dogs.

The point still remains though, if people think the Sea Dogs are even in the same league as the Otters, then there is no point discussing this further.

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
I watched a lot of Junior hockey this year, and I'd bet anything that the Otters, Attack and Grey Hounds would have beat the Sea Dogs.

The point still remains though, if people think the Sea Dogs are even in the same league as the Otters, then there is no point discussing this further.

How stupid if any idiot believes this, I mean one is in the OHL and one is in the QMJHL - they're in two completely different leagues AINEC.

:sarcasm:

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
This is asinine. 7 points is laudable in any meaningless CHL game, but it's astounding in a Memorial Cup game. It's literally never happened before. Unless you're arguing that St. John is the worst Memorial Cup participant of all time, this is a pretty meaningful performance.

And for what it's worth, you don't often have the opportunity to be "clutch" when you score 7 points, because you've put that much distance between your team and your opponent. Scoring the winning goal in a 1-0 match means you were held off the scoresheet the entire game.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
This is asinine. 7 points is laudable in any meaningless CHL game, but it's astounding in a Memorial Cup game. It's literally never happened before. Unless you're arguing that St. John is the worst Memorial Cup participant of all time, this is a pretty meaningful performance.

And for what it's worth, you don't often have the opportunity to be "clutch" when you score 7 points, because you've put that much distance between your team and your opponent. Scoring the winning goal in a 1-0 match means you were held off the scoresheet the entire game.

Getting back to the clutch argument, if you scored 7 points in a 7-6 win you can argue that is clutch, but the score was like 11-2 by time Strome had his last point so how clutch is it that he just racked up a bunch of points in a runaway game(only to look closer on paper when the other team scored 3 meaningless goals to close the gap in the 3rd period). As I said impressive yes, clutch I am not so sure.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Well the final score was 12-5. Strome got 7 points. So we can say without Strome the score is possibly tied.

I don't know why people are trying to **** on his achievement. Give the kid his dues.

If it was Ivan Lodnia that got 7 points, people would scream he's a riser, underrated, and that he should be taken in the first round.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Getting back to the clutch argument, if you scored 7 points in a 7-6 win you can argue that is clutch, but the score was like 11-2 by time Strome had his last point so how clutch is it that he just racked up a bunch of points in a runaway game(only to look closer on paper when the other team scored 3 meaningless goals to close the gap in the 3rd period). As I said impressive yes, clutch I am not so sure.

"Clutch" is pretty much meaningless in any prescriptive sense. An end-to-end dominant performance tells me much more about what a player will do in the future than a single circumstantial play. And it's worth mentioning that Strome was dominant all game and in many ways. In addition to the seven points, he took ten shots and won 70% of his faceoffs. He was also excellent defensively, creating turnovers in the neutral zone and his own. I truly don't know what else he could have done last night, unless you wanted him to sandbag so the score would be closer.

And who cares when his last point was scored? The game was out of reach primarily due to his own play. He was scoring when the game was close, so it's not like he waited until they had a huge lead to let loose.

You're basically looking at Sidney Crosby and wishing he were Fernando Pisani.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

You're being willfully obtuse here in order to diminish what is incontrovertibly an unprecedented accomplishment in a Memorial Cup game. I don't know what bug you have up your ass.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
7 points! Very impressive accomplishment.

Who cares if it was a blowout. Getting that many points is impressive regardless of the score.

I think Strome will be a very successful centre in the NHL in the coming decade. It is really just be a matter of whether he will be a good first line or second line centre.

Roy Baby*

Sep 28, 2015
Phoenix,AZ
Strome gets so much hate lmao, even then when he accomplishes something

Not in real life, he actually gets a lot more love than I think he deserves....it's only a handful of weirdos from Eastern Canada perpetuating the BS. That, and he's being evaluated against McDavid.

Him and Domi are gonna be absolutely fuego together...think he easily hits the 60+ point club in 2 years

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Strome gets so much hate lmao, even then when he accomplishes something

It's funny...he gets 7 points in a 12-5 game, and he racks them up against a bottom feeder.

Yet if he only had 1-2 points, those same people would say he could not even stand out in a 12 goal game by Erie.

Anytime you break a record, it's impressive. Good on Strome.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00