C Dylan Strome (2015, 3rd, ARI; traded to CHI) III

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Its all about the Coyotes owner; Andrew Barroway
he is to Coyotes what Daryl Katz is to Oilers.

Barroway is fine, but he isn't rich enough to own NHL franchise
Barroway shouldn't be an NHL owner, but he's the only person they could find who was willing to try to work with Glendale and stay in Arizona. So, he stays. But, Barroway shouldn't be blamed for this. The Coyotes have been a mess since Moyes took them into bankruptcy so he could sell them to Basille to by-pass franchise agreements. You could even just take it back to the issues with Ellman and the move to Glendale. The Oilers, on the other hand, were coming off a Cup final appearance (a miracle run and lost Pronger) when Katz bought them, and have had by far the worst run they've even had as a franchise. Even the barebone operation ran between the end of Pocklington and Katz.

I don't think the Coyotes are particularly well run. I'd absolutely question some of the people they have put in high positions of power (From Chayka to Hofford to Jake Goldberg). But, they are always going to be a barebones operation unless someone comes in and is willing to lose significant money or they somehow become popular and sell significant tickets. Many of the significant issues plaguing the Coyotes pre-date Barroway.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
This might be a weird thought, but could it be a mental thing where players come into a small non-hockey market and feel zero expectations so there's no real reason to push themselves? Especially when the team itself is usually mediocre.

You are right this is a weird thought, NHL players probably don't ever think like this.

Probably mentioned in here already but doubt he ever would have developed into this player with Arizona

Much like reggie Leach, who looked like a superstar when reunited with his junior linemate Bobby Clarke.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
You are right this is a weird thought, NHL players probably don't ever think like this.

Much like reggie Leach, who looked like a superstar when reunited with his junior linemate Bobby Clarke.

A bit off-topic...er. Bobby Clark has worked for the Philadelphia Flyers past 50 years.
first as a player 69-84

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I am very happy for him. He was in the unenviable position of being drafted right behind Eichel and McDavid as well as being drafted right in front of Marner. Let's face it, Strome got off to a slow start compared to many others in his draft class. It's great to see him start to live up to his draft position.

This does suck for Arizona to have Dylan Strome excel AFTER he gets traded to another team. There is no guarantee that Strome would have played this well had he stayed in Arizona. Nevertheless, it does look like Arizona gave up on him too soon, at least on the surface.
Dylan Strome is a tall lanky kid. I am not surprised he is now turning the corner as a player. He's got too much hockey IQ to not be a producer in the NHL. I think Chicago stole him from Arizona. He's going to be a good 1B or 2A Center on most teams. Tall, lanky players often need more time. It is just a case where his body caught up with his mind. Good to see, I think most hockey people had him at #3 in the stacked 2015 draft. He may not be #3 but he has a chance of being top 10-15.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Also think this is largely due to him having ample motivation playing beside his goal scoring buddy Debrincat and also Patrick Kane.

It can really drag some players down being on a financially struggling franchise, being drafted 3rd overall, and to be expected to drag them out from the depths they so seemingly never escape from. His hindrance could have been from his mental game. In AZ he had flashes of the talent and effectiveness, but if you're not confident you won't hit your stride.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
This might be a weird thought, but could it be a mental thing where players come into a small non-hockey market and feel zero expectations so there's no real reason to push themselves? Especially when the team itself is usually mediocre.
I have wondered about the non hockey atmosphere...going to pratice in shorts etc but it has not stopped LA, San Jose, Anaheim etc from having good teams and great players.

I think the uncertainty with relocation and bankruptcy etc hanging over their heads cant be easy.

Low expectations may be a team culture thing that has happened and is hard to shake.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Think this thread will be closed soon. Strome is not a prospect anymore. But for those that were quick to give up on a talented young player. Strome should be a good example that development is not linear arguments.

Now has 43 pts in 46 games since being traded to the Hawks. And he centers one of the more exciting lines I have seen of late, between DeBrincat and Perlini.

Well done Dylan Strome.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Think this thread will be closed soon. Strome is not a prospect anymore. But for those that were quick to give up on a talented young player. Strome should be a good example that development is not linear arguments.

Now has 43 pts in 46 games since being traded to the Hawks. And he centers one of the more exciting lines I have seen of late, between DeBrincat and Perlini.

Well done Dylan Strome.

Agreed.. Also cool seeing Perlini doing so well as of late.. Past 6 games he has 7 goals, 2 assists and 20 shots on goal.... Keep in mind that is 0 time on the PP. Hasnt even played a second on the PP in those games

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Agreed.. Also cool seeing Perlini doing so well as of late.. Past 6 games he has 7 goals, 2 assists and 20 shots on goal.... Keep in mind that is 0 time on the PP. Hasnt even played a second on the PP in those games
That's really a great point. No PP time. Debrincat has 38 goals also. Looked real good last night also. Bowman made a great trade IMO.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Funny how much flack he got earlier in the thread because he couldn't produce in NHL at 18/19/20.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Blackhawks have been making amazing use of other teams' castaways and "failed prospects". Perlini has been doing quite well, as has been said. Strome's emerged as someone who might have been worth his draft position after all. Gustafsson who was an Oilers draft pick who they signed as a UFA after Oilers failed to sign him is looking like a potential #1D ready to replace Duncan Keith.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad