C Dylan Strome (2015, 3rd, ARI; traded to CHI) III

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Saw this goal and came here to post it, but the last thread was locked after 1k posts. Can only remember seeing this a few times over the years:

Top Chedz

Jan 26, 2017
anyone think he'll be ready to make the jump next year?

He really needed time in the AHL

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
anyone think he'll be ready to make the jump next year?

He really needed time in the AHL
If he can clean up 3 things then he should be able to be an impact player next year. Primary focus for him should be improving his skating, particularly his acceleration. On top of that, he needs to get noticeably stronger. He'll never be an elite skater, so getting stronger so he can hold on to the puck longer to buy time for a shot or pass will be very important. He's a tall guy, but he hasn't really filled out. Finally, he needs to improve his release. His shot is great in regards to power and accuracy, but he telegraphs his wrist shots too much. He's a good kid and he works hard, I hope for his and Arizona's sake that he can make these improvements.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I just don't see the drive from this guy. He's a player that looks phenomenal at the junior level because he's so much more talented than the other guys, but I don't know if he'll ever put it together. Even in the WJC he just seemed to be floating around without the puck.

He's having a great year in the CHL, but his fellow draftees are all playing in the NHL right now...

P10p

May 15, 2012
Had the erie otters come into our restaraunt today. Was cool seeing them all. We feed the ice dogs regularly as well and we had team Canada WJC gold medal squad come in a few times last year. Awesome to see all these guys in person.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Can you take another players stick from him like that? I don't think so..Holding the stick call no? or even unsportsmanlike conduct?

Wholovespizza

Jan 6, 2017
I've watched the majority of Erie games this year, and something I take away from watching Strome is hockey smarts. He makes quick decisions, seems to make the right pass. Curious to see what happens next season.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I've watched the majority of Erie games this year, and something I take away from watching Strome is hockey smarts. He makes quick decisions, seems to make the right pass. Curious to see what happens next season.

Prospects like Dylan Strome can be very frustrating for teams that own them because they have all these fantastic attributes but one or two critical weaknesses that casts a long shadow on their long term upside. I think of him as a lesser skilled Jason Spezza, just interested to see how a player of that nature will adapt in a league trending faster and faster.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Prospects like Dylan Strome can be very frustrating for teams that own them because they have all these fantastic attributes but one or two critical weaknesses that casts a long shadow on their long term upside. I think of him as a lesser skilled Jason Spezza, just interested to see how a player of that nature will adapt in a league trending faster and faster.

less skilled Spezza?

Spezza was a beast and his hockey IQ was one of the best

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
a lesser version of spezza is hell of a player

though Strome doesn't play like Spezza

Except he plays a lot like Spezza, similar mechanics, puckhandling, and lanky body type, similar flaws coming up with regards to a plodding skating style and questioned due to an inconsistent motor, that sweeping release, long stick, playmaker who can also bury them in close in the slot.

Guess a lot of where he ends up has to do with how he develops and corrects those issues.

Wholovespizza

Jan 6, 2017
Except he plays a lot like Spezza, similar mechanics, puckhandling, and lanky body type, similar flaws coming up with regards to a plodding skating style and questioned due to an inconsistent motor, that sweeping release, long stick, playmaker who can also bury them in close in the slot.

Guess a lot of where he ends up has to do with how he develops and corrects those issues.

100% to all of that.
His quick decision making will be crucial on how well he does. His on ice vision is obvious when you watch Erie, he knows where the puck is going before he gets it.
I think it would do him well to play in Tucson next season, with the occasional callup. He needs to play and practice with pros.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Don't get the overwhelming negativity towards this kid. Reading through some of the posts in this thread you'd think Strome is already a bust, instead of a kid that has a 2.3 PPG in the OHL right now.

He has ridiculous numbers at every level. Makes sense when you're 6'3 with an elite level hockey sense, shot, hands and playmaking ability.

He may be a bit slow, a bit inconsistent, a bit one-dimensional and a bit lazy, but the kid produces everywhere he plays. There may be an adjustment period when he reaches the pro level, but I expect him to eventually end up as a 60+ point center in the Spezza-mold.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Don't get the overwhelming negativity towards this kid. Reading through some of the posts in this thread you'd think Strome is already a bust, instead of a kid that has a 2.3 PPG in the OHL right now.

He has ridiculous numbers at every level. Makes sense when you're 6'3 with an elite level hockey sense, shot, hands and playmaking ability.

He may be a bit slow, a bit inconsistent, a bit one-dimensional and a bit lazy, but the kid produces everywhere he plays. There may be an adjustment period when he reaches the pro level, but I expect him to eventually end up as a 60+ point center in the Spezza-mold.

No one is suggesting he lacks skills. The issue is his size against kids and the slower league allows him to cover for his lack of skating ability.

No one cares how big you are if they can cut wide around you. Or if the D can catch up to you on a break away easily.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Exactly, but you don't put up those types of numbers being lazy. I think Strome, like many big players look slow and lazy because of their size. I understand that Strome will never be a burner, but neither are a number of C's playing pro right now.

Dr Black

Oct 31, 2015
Don't get the overwhelming negativity towards this kid.

The reason for all the negativity stems from him lagging behind the rest of his draft class.

1 Connor McDavid
2 Jack Eichel
4 Mitch Marner
5 Noah Hanifin
7 Ivan Provorov
8 Zach Werenski

If Dylan Strome was picked 9th overall instead of 3rd, most of this negativity toward this kid would not exist.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2015e.html

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille