C Dylan Strome (2015, 3rd, ARI; traded to CHI) III

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Will be interesting to see what he does in Windsor. He's expected to be the best player on the ice due to pedigree and prior performance. Obviously, Steel/Barzal (whoever makes it), Chabot, Vilardi and Sergachev will try to have something to say about that. During the playoff run, I actually though Debrincat was the best player, but Strome was still strong.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Will be interesting to see what he does in Windsor. He's expected to be the best player on the ice due to pedigree and prior performance. Obviously, Steel/Barzal (whoever makes it), Chabot, Vilardi and Sergachev will try to have something to say about that. During the playoff run, I actually though Debrincat was the best player, but Strome was still strong.

I am hoping for a Strome/Barzal final, but I am biased since I am an Islanders fan.

On a side note is anybody annoyed that sportsnet has the CHL rights and doesn't bother showing games? I know people will say they are showing the NHL playoffs but Sportsnet has like 500 channels they can air games on.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
On a side note is anybody annoyed that sportsnet has the CHL rights and doesn't bother showing games? I know people will say they are showing the NHL playoffs but Sportsnet has like 500 channels they can air games on.

Yes. When SN won the NHL rights; TSN should have got the Jr ones. They would show some games. They have int'l hockey and are showing EVERY game of the World's.

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015

In 2017 we expect Chabot to be the best.

MVP at all level...
While Strome is Strome...

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Would be a nice feather in his cap for Strome to end his junior career with the Memorial Cup. Regardless nice to see him back in the spotlight. He's going to be a very productive NHL Center. His development is not unexpected slower than some of his draft class. But I have no doubts he will justify his 3OA draft position if Arizona is patient with him.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Would be a nice feather in his cap for Strome to end his junior career with the Memorial Cup. Regardless nice to see him back in the spotlight. He's going to be a very productive NHL Center. His development is not unexpected slower than some of his draft class. But I have no doubts he will justify his 3OA draft position if Arizona is patient with him.
I agree that he's likely to become a solid NHL centre, but I do have doubts about him looking like a good pick at 3rd overall. The next 5 picks after him were Marner, Hanifin, Zacha, Provorov and Werenski, not sure I take him over any of them if we were to redo the draft today.

His OHL numbers are terrific, but I continue to question whether he's really going to stand out at the NHL level. Good height, but isn't overly strong/physical, won't be a power centre at the NHL level. Very good shot, that'll be one of his main strengths. Average skating, and not particularly athletic/explosive. Hockey IQ is definitely good, but not Sedin level or anything, and I'm not sure how well his "slow the game down" style is going to work in the faster, bigger, tighter checking NHL game. Compete level/hustle is a weakness, IMO. Despite his dominance at the OHL level, I see him as likely to be a 2C at the NHL level, and there were some very, very good players picked right after him.

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I agree that he's likely to become a solid NHL centre, but I do have doubts about him looking like a good pick at 3rd overall. The next 5 picks after him were Marner, Hanifin, Zacha, Provorov and Werenski, not sure I take him over any of them if we were to redo the draft today.

I think being picked 3rd overall and not performing yet to people expectations are getting some people to underrate Strome. Let's say Strome was a mid first round pick and had a season like he did this year we would be talking what a great prospect he was and how he might end up being the 3rd best player in this draft when all is said and done

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

His OHL numbers are terrific, but I continue to question whether he's really going to stand out at the NHL level. Good height, but isn't overly strong/physical, won't be a power centre at the NHL level. Very good shot, that'll be one of his main strengths. Average skating, and not particularly athletic/explosive. Hockey IQ is definitely good, but not Sedin level or anything, and I'm not sure how well his "slow the game down" style is going to work in the faster, bigger, tighter checking NHL game. Compete level/hustle is a weakness, IMO. Despite his dominance at the OHL level, I see him as likely to be a 2C at the NHL level, and there were some very, very good players picked right after him.
I'd still take him over Zacha.

He has his flaws, but they are fixable. He needs to clean up his shot release, add strength and improve his skating. Those aren't impossible tasks. Will he be a top 5 player from the 2015 draft? Odds are he won't, but he could still be a top 10 guy and this looks like a very strong draft class.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

I think he is a guy that probably needs a bit more time than most prospects. He was tall and gangly when he was drafted. His skating has greatly improved from his draft year. Though I do agree he will never be a skater of McDavid's level by any means. I do see him showing improvement to be at say Draisaitl's level. His power skating coach has done wonders for him, and his hockey IQ has always been excellent. Arizona if patient will be fine with Strome as one of their core pieces. At worst he will be a productive #2C but I think he will do much better than that. Time will tell.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
anyone think he'll be ready to make the jump next year?

He really needed time in the AHL

I think he defineltly play in the NHL first. I don't think high profile prospects needs to be a 100 percent ready just to be in the NHL. If they are lose and If they are 1st rounders they usually can make it with out being fully ready. Just boeser for Vancouver. He's reallly not a 100 percent for the NHL.

Can't wait to see him play. I think like his draft position, he will be one of the best from the 2015 draft.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Looked like a different player for Erie this year in the playoffs. Engaged, playing in all key situations, clutch. His passes are a thing of beauty.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think he is a guy that probably needs a bit more time than most prospects. He was tall and gangly when he was drafted. His skating has greatly improved from his draft year. Though I do agree he will never be a skater of McDavid's level by any means. I do see him showing improvement to be at say Draisaitl's level. His power skating coach has done wonders for him, and his hockey IQ has always been excellent. Arizona if patient will be fine with Strome as one of their core pieces. At worst he will be a productive #2C but I think he will do much better than that. Time will tell.

I think he defineltly play in the NHL first. I don't think high profile prospects needs to be a 100 percent ready just to be in the NHL. If they are lose and If they are 1st rounders they usually can make it with out being fully ready. Just boeser for Vancouver. He's reallly not a 100 percent for the NHL.

Can't wait to see him play. I think like his draft position, he will be one of the best from the 2015 draft.

I agree with both you guys. Strome just needed a little attitude adjustment after coming to last years training camp way over confident. I believe he thought he had a roster spot locked up because of the way he played at the previous training camp.. He will be in the NHL next year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I'd still take him over Zacha.

He has his flaws, but they are fixable. He needs to clean up his shot release, add strength and improve his skating. Those aren't impossible tasks. Will he be a top 5 player from the 2015 draft? Odds are he won't, but he could still be a top 10 guy and this looks like a very strong draft class.

The only players I might take over Strome today would be Marner and Werenski, but even then let's give Strome a chance to show his worth in the NHL. One year does not make a career.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'd take Provorov ahead of him as well

Thats a no-brainer.

Was voted the Flyers best defensemen as a 19/20 year old rookie. Led team in ice time. His 19 ES points were one less than Werenskis 20 despite being on a far worse team paired with Andrew MacDonald.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I'd take Provorov ahead of him as well

we all have perfect hindsight. But if you go back 2 years ago, I don't recall any sources or scouting agency or publishing sources having Provorov ranked in the top 3, let alone higher then Strome who has an upside of a 1st line centreman.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
we all have perfect hindsight. But if you go back 2 years ago, I don't recall any sources or scouting agency or publishing sources having Provorov ranked in the top 3, let alone higher then Strome who has an upside of a 1st line centreman.

This was my top7 prior to the 2015 draft.

1. C Connor McDavid (Erie Otters, OHL)
2. C Jack Eichel (Boston University, NCAA)
3. LD Noah Hanifin (Boston College, NCAA)
4. C/RW Mitch Marner (London Knights, OHL)
5. LD Ivan Provorov (Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL)
6. C Mathew Barzal (Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL)
7. C Dylan Strome (Erie Otters, OHL)

Never was a fan of Strome and he hasn't done anything in these past two seasons to change my opinion of him. I still think he's going to be a solid NHLer for many years, just not as good as above names, particularly Provorov and Marner who I was a huge fan of. Didn't see much of Hanifin in his draft year so had him ranked #3 mostly based on consensus and being a safe pick.

Barzal vs Strome will be interesting to see how it plays out. Think they're fairly even, but Strome has to be seen as the better prospect for now and Barzal is more likely to bust just based on size and the way he plays the game, but both have similar upside IMO.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Was not trying to say then,.. I mean from what we know now. Hence "I'd take" vs "I would have taken"

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Looked like a different player for Erie this year in the playoffs. Engaged, playing in all key situations, clutch. His passes are a thing of beauty.
Good to hear - I've been busy and haven't been able to catch many OHL playoff games this year, but sounds like a significant step forward for him. His draft-year playoff performance is when I started to question his NHL upside - he didn't step up and dominate the way future NHL stars often do when the games matter the most, was a bit passive/invisible. If he's turning into more of a dominant playoff performer this year, that would be a significant development milestone IMO.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
3g 3a 20/26 on faceoffs tonight at the memorial cup. Safe to say he has shed the big game choker label.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
3g 3a 20/26 on faceoffs tonight at the memorial cup. Safe to say he has shed the big game choker label.

Is this a big game? they could have lost tonight but still won the memorial cup

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Is this a big game? they could have lost tonight but still won the memorial cup

Have you been following his play at all during the OHL playoffs?

Just set the memorial cup record with 7 points

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Have you been following his play at all during the OHL playoffs?

Just set the memorial cup record with 7 points

When you are winning a game by 8 goals, the amount of points somebody gets sort of becomes meaningless

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00