C Dylan Strome (2015, 3rd, ARI; traded to CHI) III

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Strome looked like he wasn't too far behind the speed of the game which was a positive.

However right now he's just kind of redundant in the NHL. If he's not producing you'd rather play those energy types in your bottom 6. And it doesn't look like he's quite top 6 player at this point.

Definition of a boom or bust. If he figures it out he's going to start producing right away. If he doesn't, he's not going to even make the big league. He's the type of player who can translate that junior domination as long as the game isn't too fast for him, he's able to play with the puck and play with good players. But right now, he's a step behind, doesn't get to make plays enough and thus doesn't get to play with good players.

I think seasoning in the AHL will be really helpful.
I'd think for a lot of teams, especially with someone like Tocchet coming from the Penguins would think the top 6/bottom 6 logic of team building is outdated or at-least not always necessary. Pitt won a cup with Kessel primarily on the 3rd. The Leafs, a young team with a bunch of talent play a top 9 with grit mixed into each line. With a team with as much young talent as the Coyotes that approach would make sense.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I'd think for a lot of teams, especially with someone like Tocchet coming from the Penguins would think the top 6/bottom 6 logic of team building is outdated or at-least not always necessary. Pitt won a cup with Kessel primarily on the 3rd. The Leafs, a young team with a bunch of talent play a top 9 with grit mixed into each line. With a team with as much young talent as the Coyotes that approach would make sense.

Yeah but the Yotes don't have that kind of depth.. They have plenty of offensive guys up front without Strome and need people to help them keep the puck out like we've seen in the first 2 games. Strome on the 3rd line isn't working on their team right now in my opinion. Maybe if he was a winger they could spread it around. Who knows maybe they even try that at some point.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I have never been a fan of Strome's - quite the opposite, in fact - but a twenty-year-old bust is simply not a thing.

As far as development paths go, I'd say that: a quick one > a slow one >>>> a rushed one. I see no issue in letting Strome fix the glaring issues in his game (I know he has already worked on it, but his skating is just bad.), as opposed to feeding him to the wolves and completely wasting his talent by prematurely having him play with the Coyotes.

If it takes a season or two in the AHL for him to elevate his game to NHL standards, so be it.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I have never been a fan of Strome's - quite the opposite, in fact - but a twenty-year-old bust is simply not a thing.

As far as development paths go, I'd say that: a quick one > a slow one >>>> a rushed one. I see no issue in letting Strome fix the glaring issues in his game (I know he has already worked on it, but his skating is just bad.), as opposed to feeding him to the wolves and completely wasting his talent by prematurely having him play with the Coyotes.

If it takes a season or two in the AHL for him to elevate his game to NHL standards, so be it.
He reminds me a lot of his brother. High end talent but something just...doesn't seem to click at a higher level.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
2 assists and 3rd star of the game in is first ever in a the AHL.
Glad to hear it. I’m very hesitant to come into this thread - the negativity is absolutely toxic, and unreasonable. From what I’ve seen of him recently, the skating issues everyone is going on about is old news - he doesn’t blow past anybody but it doesn’t hinder him getting to areas whatsoever - his defense is progressing nicely, and his shot seems very powerful as well. To those questioning his IQ, just LOL.

This guy is still one of the top drafted forward prospects out there, perhaps even THE best with Keller graduated. It’s far, far better for him to be in the AHL than getting the ridiculously low minutes he received in the NHL. I really don’t know what to say to those writing him off, because it seems that nearly everyone (at least on here) is doing so; it’s the popular thing to do, which will get you those invaluable “likes”. I hope he continues to play well and prove the doubters wrong.

Fortier40

Oct 15, 2017
Watched the game and Strome had a good game, he looked quick and intense, one of his assist could have been a goal. He also had a great chance where he used his speed and reach to get past a defender, unfortunatly it did not convert but a great chance where he showed his skills. As the game went on he looked more confident on the ice.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Strome has every tool to be a top 6 C. He just needs to develop the drive necessary to be able to use those tools. Thats the biggest question.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It's clear he was the fall guy for problems that run much deeper in the Coyotes roster. He was good in his limited time and certainly didn't hurt the team. Better to have him away from the funk and leading Tucson than getting limited minutes with guys Tocchet doesn't trust.

Reactions: 99664987

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
:laugh: true

I'm just not a fan of his, I don't see him being an impact player at the NHL level
Just to be clear, this isn’t meant to be disparaging.

But let’s be real here. You’ve made it excessively clear that you’re quite young - which is fantastic, it’s great to see teenagers getting into things on here, which sounds weird because I’m hardly older myself - and from Tampa Bay. You’ve likely only had very limited viewings of Strome, and I’m sorry, but I strongly doubt your ability to assess players - especially on their development curve and potential.

Point is, I sincerely disagree with you, but I hope that you keep bringing your opinions and energy to various threads. Feel free to expose me as a fool if you have, in fact, been watching him at least semi-closely since his junior career began.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Strome has every tool to be a top 6 C. He just needs to develop the drive necessary to be able to use those tools. Thats the biggest question.
I think a lot of people are missing this, and resorting to the word-of-mouth “his skating sucks.” It really doesn’t. At this point I wouldn’t even call it a weakness; he should definitely work on it, and he probably won’t be an elite player with barely average skating, but it will by no means stop him from making it to the NHL. People talk on here like he’s a slug. His acceleration isn’t fantastic, but it’s not awful either, and his top speed is considerable and very fluid in terms of stride. He’s got a ways to go, but there is no reason whatsoever for him not to still project as a very good top-6 C.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I am rooting for Dylan, thought his struggles at the WJC were overblown and think he's an NHL player now but agree that one year in the A will probably serve him well. If he's still Calder eligible next year I see him as a real candidate.

Reactions: 99664987

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Drive, along with hockey sense and skating are often things that break a prospect.

Reactions: bert

Fortier40

Oct 15, 2017
1G, 1A and was on the ice for the 2nd goal on the PP. Was quiet on game 3, but so far hes doing great on this game had a couple chance. Made some smart passes. On that goal he retrieved a loose puck, made a deke to free off the defender and wristed it top corner. He was asked to think quickly, here he showed it.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
6pts in first 5gp in AHL.

He honestly looks like Grigorenko did at 20 years old. Struggles big time with the pace and strength of the NHL, but can still put up points in the AHL because of his skill level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad