C Dylan Strome (2015, 3rd, ARI; traded to CHI) III

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He didn't stand out at any point and his skating is still subpar, but he does look faster. While he was rarely the center of a play or the most noticeable he did end the pre-season with decent stats and a few solid individual plays. As Strome always has.
Typical Strome. He's the only player who can "quietly" have a 4pt night that I've ever seen. Haha.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I've seen Strome since he was fairly young, going back to the G...and followed him closely in the OHL. Extremely offensively gifted, elite hockey sense. That side of his game is without doubt.

His skating has consistently been a weakness - I don't know what it is - skill/training/experience...but it's been an issue for a while.

Offense/hockey sense Strome's fine. I'm hoping the skating picks up. There's so much to like about him.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I've seen Strome since he was fairly young, going back to the G...and followed him closely in the OHL. Extremely offensively gifted, elite hockey sense. That side of his game is without doubt.

His skating has consistently been a weakness - I don't know what it is - skill/training/experience...but it's been an issue for a while.

Offense/hockey sense Strome's fine. I'm hoping the skating picks up. There's so much to like about him.

He needs to get on the MSL leg training regiment.

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
He was sent down to the AHL this morning.

Kids having a rough go, a lot of prospects in the yotes system have surpassed him. Hope it works out for him, I was always a fan of his. Getting lots of playing time in the AHL rather than getting minimal ice time in the show is definitely the right call. It's also worth noting that this is his first pro season, so it's not the end of the world.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Before I go on, I am not saying Strome is a bust in any way, but I could see the Yotes moving on. They already have Stepan and Dvorak ahead, so unless Strome is gonna be the 3C I could see them capitalizing on his value to improve in other areas.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I feel bad for him, but he could be a case of a prospect that was drafted about 5 years too late. He is the type of player that would have been a beast in the old NHL, but with the league trending towards high end players with speed, it may be difficult for him. There is no doubt he is talented, has a good hockey IQ and nice hands.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Man, the Strome and Reinhart brothers have been so disappointing. So much talent, but just doesn't seem to have the work ethic to succeed as stars.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Before I go on, I am not saying Strome is a bust in any way, but I could see the Yotes moving on. They already have Stepan and Dvorak ahead, so unless Strome is gonna be the 3C I could see them capitalizing on his value to improve in other areas.

Moving on from a top 3 pick when he is 20 years old. Yikes. I dont think there is any chance this happens they have invested in him and will take their time. His development curve as a bigger player and not a guy with fast twitch muscles will mean its going to take longer. Doesnt mean he wont get there, Mark Stone needed some time to get stronger and faster and is now an impact forward. These big guys almost always take longer to develop.

Man, the Strome and Reinhart brothers have been so disappointing. So much talent, but just doesn't seem to have the work ethic to succeed as stars.

Way too early to write him off, everyone around he is so impatient. Small forwards always hit their peak before big players its been this way since I can remember.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Felt it was coming, he can't keep up speed-wise and they weren't comfortable giving him consistent ice time. Hopefully, for the Coyotes sake, he can grow his game in Tuscon.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Or there's another link between the three that's holding them back from reaching their potential. Skating.

Yes, and not being a good skater goes back to work ethic. Symptom vs root cause.

Way too early to write him off, everyone around he is so impatient. Small forwards always hit their peak before big players its been this way since I can remember.

I'm not writing him off in the sense of that he'll bust. I've always held the belief he'll be an NHLer, and possibly a good one at that somewhere down the line, but just not the star many projected him to be. I've been consistent with this ever since before he was drafted when his hype was very real (I had him ranked 7th in 2015 behind Marner, Provorov and Barzal).

Don't think there's too many forwards who were picked high, fell behind lots of guys drafted later than them (in terms of development) and then turned into legit stars. I could be wrong though.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This is another cliche that I simply haven't seen any supporting evidence for. Bigger guys can take longer to improve their core strength, but I haven't seen it dramatically alter expected arrival times of players picked within certain ranges.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Felt it was coming, he can't keep up speed-wise and they weren't comfortable giving him consistent ice time. Hopefully, for the Coyotes sake, he can grow his game in Tuscon.

I feel like some time in the AHL will definitely do him good. It felt like he was a second or two behind the play in the games I watched. He definitely has talent, he just needs to put some work in some other parts of his game.

Any good players in Tucson he can play with or is it just him?

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
2 games they gave him? Why did they bother.

Losing out on a franchise C - 2 years in a row - because of the frigging lottery (proof if there ever was that the lottery is not rigged).

Still could be a player in the NHL. He has sooooo much talent. Here's hoping he tears up the AHL and figures out the speed of the pro game.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Way too early to move on .. He may need a year or more in the AHL but he should get stronger and learn how he needs to adjust his game to be successful. Getting faster will obviously help

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Johansen and Scheifele give me hope.
Anyone writing him off already lacks perspective. He has clear things to work on, as someone who has closely followed him for 4 years I wish he took more of these steps in junior. But, his offensive track record at the OHL was absolutely ridiculous and he's a very smart player. They basically need to give him this list and tell him that if he can improve these things, he will be in the NHL and a top player at that.

1: Improve your skating
2: Improve your strength on the puck
3: Clean up your release, at the NHL level it's not always the power behind your shot, but how quickly you get it off or deceptively you get it off.
4: Fight harder for pucks

The strength should hopefully come with age, both RyJo and Scheifele were lanky guys when drafted and filled out. The skating is an issue, but he needs to just get to league average so he's not constantly behind the play. Fighting for pucks is just effort, and having more speed to be there in time. The shot will take a bit of work, but he already has good power and accuracy, its about making the release quicker and more deceptive.

Reactions: Mittelstadt and rt

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Strome's skating is a huge weakness - he improved a bit early on in junior and his offensive skill carried him. Post-draft, his skating improved the first year...the second year? not in a big way.

He's now into his 3rd post-draft season and skating is a massive drag on his game. I'm not saying he won't improve - but I think it's justifiable to ask why there wasn't considerable improvement after he was drafted - and why there would be considerable improvement at this point.

Not to be mean - but you'd think being drafted 3OA would be a huge motivator for him.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Strome's skating is a huge weakness - he improved a bit early on in junior and his offensive skill carried him. Post-draft, his skating improved the first year...the second year? not in a big way.

He's now into his 3rd post-draft season and skating is a massive drag on his game. I'm not saying he won't improve - but I think it's justifiable to ask why there wasn't considerable improvement after he was drafted - and why there would be considerable improvement at this point.

Not to be mean - but you'd think being drafted 3OA would be a huge motivator for him.
He looks definitely quicker in terms of skating mobility than he did 12 months ago. Very noticeable.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Strome looked like he wasn't too far behind the speed of the game which was a positive.

However right now he's just kind of redundant in the NHL. If he's not producing you'd rather play those energy types in your bottom 6. And it doesn't look like he's quite top 6 player at this point.

Definition of a boom or bust. If he figures it out he's going to start producing right away. If he doesn't, he's not going to even make the big league. He's the type of player who can translate that junior domination as long as the game isn't too fast for him, he's able to play with the puck and play with good players. But right now, he's a step behind, doesn't get to make plays enough and thus doesn't get to play with good players.

I think seasoning in the AHL will be really helpful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad