C Connor McDavid - Erie Otters, OHL (2015 Draft) V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
I can understand why... Do you imagine their top 6 in 2 years?
Imagine if they pick 1st: McDavid.
Then 2nd: Eichel
Then 4th (with the assumption Hanifin goes 3rd): Strom/Marner

Hall
RNH
Eberle
Yak
LD
2015 1st rounder

disgusting, disgusting top 6. That offensive potential is godlike.

They need to trade one of them away for a proven winner, with a winning mentality. Inject some new life. Once they break the current cycle the potential is huge, yeah

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
Just was looking at some highlights, and I know this is under 18 and has been viewed probably many times already, but this is really impressive.

I checked that video couple years ago and after that there has not been one single question in my mind, that this kid is going to be amazing, in Crosby-tier basically.

2 years underage, 7 games 8+6=14, tournament MVP.

Macman

May 15, 2004
I checked that video couple years ago and after that there has not been one single question in my mind, that this kid is going to be amazing, in Crosby-tier basically.

And when you see the number of other chances he created but failed to cash in on, he could have easily finished with 20+ points.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Yea he had an unbelievable tournament. Just flat out dominated with his speed and hands.

I still think, compared to his peers, he'll end up a tier below Crosby. That's actually not a knock on him, but a result of the growing trend of convergence we've witnessed over the last 30+ years. Going forward, I'm not sure we'll ever see someone as dominant (relative to peers) as Sid. If you look at the gap between generational players and their peers, its been closing quickly.

Gretzky - - - everyone else
Lemieux - - Yzerman/Jagr/Lindros
Crosby - Malkin/Ovechkin

For most of his career, McDavid will be up against established stars like Tavares, Seguin, Tarasenko, Benn, Giroux, Stamkos, and Kane plys budding young scorers like Eichel, MacKinnon, Gaudreau, Drouin, Matthews, Marner etc. Heck, he'll even have to battle Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Toews, Getzlaf for the first 5+ years of his career.

He's coming into a much more competitive landscape than when Sid entered the league.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Yea he had an unbelievable tournament. Just flat out dominated with his speed and hands.

I still think, compared to his peers, he'll end up a tier below Crosby. That's actually not a knock on him, but a result of the growing trend of convergence we've witnessed over the last 30+ years. Going forward, I'm not sure we'll ever see someone as dominant (relative to peers) as Sid. If you look at the gap between generational players and their peers, its been closing quickly.

Crosby - Malkin/Ovechkin

For most of his career, McDavid will be up against established stars like Tavares, Seguin, Tarasenko, Benn, Giroux, Stamkos, and Kane plys budding young scorers like Eichel, MacKinnon, Gaudreau, Drouin, Matthews, Marner etc. Heck, he'll even have to battle Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Toews, Getzlaf for the first 5+ years of his career.

He's coming into a much more competitive landscape than when Sid entered the league.

Taking the longer view it doesn't really look that way. For some time Howie Morenz or Eddie Shore was the best player in hockey history, though not by a massive margin. Richard came along and passed them, but he didn't absolutely blow the competition away. Howe came along and was even better, but even he had off years where he was completely human. Orr came along and was ridiculously superior to his competition - no question. Same with Gretzky, and then Lemieux. Crosby hasn't reached the level of the best players of all time, but his level of play over his competition doesn't look so different from an Eddie Shore or even a Lafleur in the late 70s. To suggest that no one will come along again who will be better compared to his competition than Crosby has been (two scoring titles and two MVPs, and in an era where he has two players in Malkin and Ovechkin who are essentially his equals) makes no sense.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Taking the longer view it doesn't really look that way. For some time Howie Morenz or Eddie Shore was the best player in hockey history, though not by a massive margin. Richard came along and passed them, but he didn't absolutely blow the competition away. Howe came along and was even better, but even he had off years where he was completely human. Orr came along and was ridiculously superior to his competition - no question. Same with Gretzky, and then Lemieux. Crosby hasn't reached the level of the best players of all time, but his level of play over his competition doesn't look so different from an Eddie Shore or even a Lafleur in the late 70s. To suggest that no one will come along again who will be better compared to his competition than Crosby has been (two scoring titles and two MVPs, and in an era where he has two players in Malkin and Ovechkin who are essentially his equals) makes no sense.

Crosby's career PPG is a step above the rest in his generation. He's a generational player for sure. He's been by far the most consistent scorer, and is the odds on favorite every year to win the scoring title, when healthy. I don't know if we'll ever see another guy come along who we can say the same about.

The longer range view doesn't make much sense here. What I'm honing in on is that we are reaching a level of play where every player is 100% dedicated to their sport. Conditioning, training, skill development is all at such a high level these days that it makes it near impossible to break from the pack like like you could in the past.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006

Crosby - Malkin/Ovechkin

I don't know why people still consider Crosby in a league by himself. Both Malkin and Ovechkin have comparable hardware.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
McDavid has a tough road to get into the Crosby comparison.

This league gets harder every year for the stars to keep shining.
The game continues to evolve into a complete defensive clinic.. mitigating the statistical seperation between players.

Crosby himself is having a tough time separating himself from the rest of the pack.

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
Crosby himself is having a tough time separating himself from the rest of the pack.

From 2010 Olympics Crosby has been clearly the best player almost every season: 11-12 only 22 games, 14-15 its been a first down year for him, still leads the scoring tough. Other than that, a clear #1.

From 05-09 it was either Crosby,Malkin or Ovechkin, depending on the year.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
These numbers are always over exaggerated. He's still really skinny prob closer to 160-170

I don't know what his real weight is, but I think it's bigger than 160-170 lbs. That's really thin at 6'1". He's gotten bigger in the last few years.

I stood beside McDavid when he was injured and in street clothes and he's definitely not really skinny. Kid looks big.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008

After watching and truly analyzing it..... I hate the piece. Think it is exhibit 'A' of everything wrong with scouting and the draft and all that

1. He calls McDavid the 7th son. No sir. Tavares was the 7th son. You can not have followed the junior career of John Tavares and tell me he wasnt seen as potentially being on that level. Lets look at his pedigree before being drafted -- lead Canada to 2 WJC Gold Medals. CHL POY at age 16, OHL leading goal scorer of all time, World Junior MVP. Now obviously at some point in his 3rd year, question marks arose about him, and Hedman passed him only many people's lists... and then the 2009 WJC happened, or namely, the New Years eve game against America happened. And it was back to the JT hype machine.

Point is, my draft day, most people realized Tavares probably wasnt Crosby level, but for the previous 3 years, all we heard is "The next, next one", the "next Lindros" etc. The hype was huge on JT.

Issue for journalists is Tavares is a tough sample case. He cannot be held up as a bust, or overhyped prospect, because indeed he has become a super star, but the issue is, not on the level of the others

2. To say "McDavid will go overall in June" is just terrible. Yes, he is probably right. But common, it aint right. If McDavid suffers a serious injury that could at all affect his future, which is extremely possible (not likely though), things change. Also if Eichel somehow lit the World Championships on fire, thing might be able to change. Its still to early to annoint McDavid no 1. yes he is the overwhwlming favourite, but its not right at all to use absolutes likle that

FrigidEh

Feb 21, 2009
Toronto
After watching and truly analyzing it..... I hate the piece. Think it is exhibit 'A' of everything wrong with scouting and the draft and all that

1. He calls McDavid the 7th son. No sir. Tavares was the 7th son. You can not have followed the junior career of John Tavares and tell me he wasnt seen as potentially being on that level. Lets look at his pedigree before being drafted -- lead Canada to 2 WJC Gold Medals. CHL POY at age 16, OHL leading goal scorer of all time, World Junior MVP. Now obviously at some point in his 3rd year, question marks arose about him, and Hedman passed him only many people's lists... and then the 2009 WJC happened, or namely, the New Years eve game against America happened. And it was back to the JT hype machine.

Point is, my draft day, most people realized Tavares probably wasnt Crosby level, but for the previous 3 years, all we heard is "The next, next one", the "next Lindros" etc. The hype was huge on JT.

Issue for journalists is Tavares is a tough sample case. He cannot be held up as a bust, or overhyped prospect, because indeed he has become a super star, but the issue is, not on the level of the others

2. To say "McDavid will go overall in June" is just terrible. Yes, he is probably right. But common, it aint right. If McDavid suffers a serious injury that could at all affect his future, which is extremely possible (not likely though), things change. Also if Eichel somehow lit the World Championships on fire, thing might be able to change. Its still to early to annoint McDavid no 1. yes he is the overwhwlming favourite, but its not right at all to use absolutes likle that

While I agree with most of what you said, McDavid will definitely go first overall barring a career ending injury :)

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

He's a journalist, not a scout.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada

Agreed with point 1, mostly. Disagree with point 2. McDavid is going number 1 overall. It's a foregone conclusion.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Crosby's career PPG is a step above the rest in his generation. He's a generational player for sure. He's been by far the most consistent scorer, and is the odds on favorite every year to win the scoring title, when healthy. I don't know if we'll ever see another guy come along who we can say the same about.

The longer range view doesn't make much sense here. What I'm honing in on is that we are reaching a level of play where every player is 100% dedicated to their sport. Conditioning, training, skill development is all at such a high level these days that it makes it near impossible to break from the pack like like you could in the past.

There is no evidence to support what you're saying. Crosby is a pretty big favourite to lead the NHL in scoring if healthy. Great. Sometimes there is a big favourite, sometimes there isn't. It has nothing to do with modern times vs decades ago. In the 1980s Gretzky dominated, and in the 1990s Lemieux dominated when healthy. In the 1970s Orr, Esposito and Lafleur dominated scoring. In the 1960s there wasn't a dominant scorer who would always be expected to win. There is no trend leading toward what you suggest.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
There is no evidence to support what you're saying. Crosby is a pretty big favourite to lead the NHL in scoring if healthy. Great. Sometimes there is a big favourite, sometimes there isn't. It has nothing to do with modern times vs decades ago. In the 1980s Gretzky dominated, and in the 1990s Lemieux dominated when healthy. In the 1970s Orr, Esposito and Lafleur dominated scoring. In the 1960s there wasn't a dominant scorer who would always be expected to win. There is no trend leading toward what you suggest.

Being the fifth highest PPG average player in history sure helps his argument.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
The generational argument always gets me going and I personally feel that each generation improves upon the last......evolution.

I will say that McDavid is the bridge from Crosby to the next one 10 years from now.

I hope McDavid is to Crosby what Lemieux is to Gretz.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
The comparisons and classifications will go around in circles for the rest of time. It's just the way it is, because there are no definitive answers. Just enjoy watching em play hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad