Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
Connor McDavid | #97 Erie Otters
Center | Shoots Left | 6'1" | 190
Jan 13, 1997, Richmond Hill, ON

Connor McDavid doesn't regret injury-causing fight

“I’m not just going to sit there and take punches,” McDavid told the Erie Times-News. “I probably wouldn’t change a whole lot thinking about it now. I think it was the right thing to do (at the time) and I’d rather fight than turtle or anything like that. There’s not a whole lot you can do in that situation.”

McDavid hurt his right hand in a fight with Mississauga Steelheads forward Bryson Cianfrone on Nov. 11. He is expected to miss 5-6 weeks with the injury, which could also force him to miss the World Junior Championship in December.

The top-ranked player for the 2015 NHL draft practiced Monday in Erie despite wearing a small cast on his right hand. He still is unsure when he will play again.

“We’ll leave that up to the doctors,” he said. “It’ll come down to how I prepare and what I’m doing; if my legs are in good shape. It shouldn’t be too hard to get back into form but I thought I was playing pretty well before this all happened so that kind of makes it just as bad I guess.”

In 18 games this season, McDavid has a league-best 51 points, including 16 goals.​

Stats: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=183442
Game by game: http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/roster/gameByGame/id/9904
Previous Thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1754671

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
“I’m not just going to sit there and take punches,†McDavid told the Erie Times-News. “I probably wouldn’t change a whole lot thinking about it now. I think it was the right thing to do (at the time) and I’d rather fight than turtle or anything like that. There’s not a whole lot you can do in that situation.â€

Punch him with your gloves on? Push him away? Wrestle him to the ice? Chop him on the ankles ala Kessel? Fight vs turtle is a ridiculous false dichotomy, there are plenty of other options, all of which would have better outcomes than fighting. How the hell did this guy get the scholastic player of the year award? He's dumb as bricks. This is quite possibly one of the stupidest things I've ever heard a hockey player say, and that's a stiff competition. I guess his teachers must have gone to great lengths to make things easy for him and get him good marks because of who he is.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
Punch him with your gloves on? Push him away? Wrestle him to the ice? Chop him on the ankles ala Kessel? Fight vs turtle is a ridiculous false dichotomy, there are plenty of other options, all of which would have better outcomes than fighting. How the hell did this guy get the scholastic player of the year award? He's dumb as bricks. This is quite possibly one of the stupidest things I've ever heard a hockey player say, and that's a stiff competition. I guess his teachers must have gone to great lengths to make things easy for him and get him good marks because of who he is.

Rational conclusion

RaskY

GLG
Dec 26, 2011

Wow. Terrible post.

Are you upset that McDavid won't be in time to help your sweet sweet Canada win gold? :(

He's a hockey player, folks. This is HOCKEY. They hit, they fight, and sometimes they get hurt. How easy it must be for everyone on the internet to criticize and advise on what McDavid should have done instead after you've all had the time to think about what happened, to see the replays, to consider the World Juniors and things like that. In reality people don't really think about all those things in the heat of the moment...It was an instinctive decision and it's really not a big deal. Some people need to relax.

TychoFan

Feb 24, 2013
Canada
I was going to go see an OHL game just to see him right before a final exam. Sucks that he is injured but I guess I will be doing better in the exam now... haha.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
It is truly bizaaro land in the hockey world when people complain that a super skilled guy was also willing to stand up for himself.

Tyler Biggs*

Stop analyzing this already. It is hockey and there was a fight big F'ing deal. Yes he will probably go #1 so what.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
Player comparison? Not in terms of effectiveness (ala Crosby answer), but a player that he plays most like even if he'll likely be better.

there is no player comparison for him thats even remotely accurate. hes a mix of so many players. For example: Mostly Crosby, with a tad P Kane, Tavares and Datsyuk.

KyleMills*

Crossing my fingers he'll be healthy in time for the big tourny

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
For comparisons, I think he has the hands/vision/play style of Tavares (better actually), but the skating and body type of Stamkos. Just what I see when I watch him.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
McDavid says he should be getting his cast off on the 9th and McKenzie is he might be able to play the last pre-tournament game.

Just got interviewed at the Toronto-Vancouver game and said the same thing. Going to see the doctor on Tuesday to get the cast off then he's going to start shooting, working out and take some hits. Sounds like he should be around 100% by the time the WJC starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad