C Connor McDavid - Erie Otters, OHL (2015 Draft) V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
Too bad he had to get injured. Would have been one of the greatest junior seasons ever.

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
Memory is fuzzy, but I feel like there was heavy discussion that he was considering applying but eventually decided not to.

I hate to derail the thread even more, but does anyone remember the circumstances surrounding Tyler Benson's ES bid?

I don't think he ever applied, IIRC.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Maybe someone will have the exact figure, but I had found an article dating back to Crosby's draft year mentioning he had 145 points in 57 games (2.54 PPG), so if you take that average over 47 games you'd get 119 points...almost the same amount as Connor McDavid.

Source: http://theqmjhl.ca/this-week-the-qmjhl-selected-sidney-crosby-and-ryan-mior-as-players-of-the-week

His ppg after 62 games was 2.71 so he must have had a few big games at the end.

For comparison's sake:

Crosby's draft year PPG 2.71 vs. average PPG of the next 5 best scorers - 1.52 (excluding his linemate) 78% better

McDavid's draft year PPG 2.55 vs. average PPG of the next 5 best scorers - 1.75
45% better

Definitely one of the best draft year seasons in recent memory but not quite as good Mario's or Crosby's and probably Lindros' too.

mjd

Mar 19, 2010
Brockville
Assuming he goes to a bottom 5 Team, would he immediately be put in as #1 centre? Anyone know where Crosby was inserted in the lineup for his first few games?

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Assuming he goes to a bottom 5 Team, would he immediately be put in as #1 centre? Anyone know where Crosby was inserted in the lineup for his first few games?

I feel like Edmonton would probably give him lower minutes to ease him in while RNH gets the lion's share for the first little while. Toronto would probably give him lower minutes because it's Toronto. I could see him getting top line time from Buffalo and Arizona though

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON

I think Crosby was the 2C behind Mario until he retired after like 50-60 games.

Depends on the team really. Some guys will need to play him there where as others will see what he has to offer at first.

Buffalo - He'll probably play as a 1-2C with Girgensons/Reinhart, where the two lines get equal minutes

Arizona - 1C easily

Edmonton - 2C behind Nuge

Toronto - Anywhere between 1-3C depending on what happens with Bozak and just cause its the Leafs. :(

Carolina - 2C behind one of the Staals.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think Crosby was the 2C behind Mario until he retired after like 50-60 games.

Depends on the team really. Some guys will need to play him there where as others will see what he has to offer at first.

Buffalo - He'll probably play as a 1-2C with Girgensons/Reinhart, where the two lines get equal minutes

Arizona - 1C easily

Edmonton - 2C behind Nuge

Toronto - Anywhere between 1-3C depending on what happens with Bozak and just cause its the Leafs. :(

Carolina - 2C behind one of the Staals.
Crosby played on Mario's wing, who retired after 20 games, at which point Sid moved to wing.

And to your point, McDavid would be the number 1 center ahead of Nuge and the Staals by the time the season's over

MikeModano9

Oct 27, 2011
Tallahassee
Crosby played on Mario's wing, who retired after 20 games, at which point Sid moved to wing.

And to your point, McDavid would be the number 1 center ahead of Nuge and the Staals by the time the season's over

It's hard to say with Edmonton. Nuge and Eberle have been absolutely lights out since the Allstar game. Top duo in the league I believe(points wise). I think the Oil would try to pair McDavid with a winger like Hall and have essentially a 1A, 1B type situation

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Didn't expect that result. But a competitive series is a good thing for the players. gotta work for it, boys. + it's good for business.

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
It's hard to say with Edmonton. Nuge and Eberle have been absolutely lights out since the Allstar game. Top duo in the league I believe(points wise). I think the Oil would try to pair McDavid with a winger like Hall and have essentially a 1A, 1B type situation

McDavid-Hall
RNH-Eberle

That is just a waste. I really hope that Buffalo lands McDavid. They have such a great group of youn players, also in defense, unlike with Edm.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
McDavid-Hall
RNH-Eberle

That is just a waste. I really hope that Buffalo lands McDavid. They have such a great group of youn players, also in defense, unlike with Edm.

This is a very strange comment. Why would be playing with Hall, Eberle, RNH and Yakupov be a waste? As a group they have certainly accomplished far more than the much younger Sabre prospects. And the Oilers have Klefbom, Nurse, Marincin, plus a number of other promising young defensemen.

Personally, I don't see why he could not find a good situation with either franchise.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
This is a very strange comment. Why would be playing with Hall, Eberle, RNH and Yakupov be a waste? As a group they have certainly accomplished far more than the much younger Sabre prospects. And the Oilers have Klefbom, Nurse, Marincin, plus a number of other promising young defensemen.

Personally, I don't see why he could not find a good situation with either franchise.

I don't know how.. but some posters are actually jealous of Edmonton.

For some reason Buffalo's crappy team of young players/prospects is more worthy than Edmonton's crappy team of young players/prospects.

Because of this. Edmonton should have to suck forever and never draft any high end players again.

Until said person has decided Edmonton has paid enough penance for not winning with the original young players/prospects. Then they are worthy again of drafting high end prospects.

Sorry hard to make sense of something that doesn't make sense so I'll try again.

If you recently had 3 first overall picks. You shouldn't get 4. Even if the 3 1st overalls you got don't add up to the current one. Standings don't matter. The regular season is not what hockey is really about. Playoffs for that matter too.

What's really important. Is how high you've drafted consecutively. That's what determines what's fair in HFboards land.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

It's easy to figure this out...

if Ristolainen played for the Oilers, he'd be all on the McDavid to Edmonton bandwagon.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
So.. McDavid compared himself to Bozak today..

CBL-yOkUgAAuuiN.jpg:large

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
We're trading Bozak for top 10 pick, top prospect and top 6 player now. Connor McDavid compared himself to Bozak the Great. What an idiot...he can't come close to Bozak's achievements. Way to put himself on a pedestal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad