C Connor McDavid - Erie Otters, OHL (2015 Draft) V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
We've interviewed him... there is no chance he's 170 lbs... none. He's way more built than that.

Some people underestimate the leg size/strength of these guys, look at their upper bodies and say "there is no way that guy weighs what he is listed at" when in fact they are mainly all legs.

Crosby does not look 200 nor did Drouin look 187 from the waist up but thats what he was at the combine.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Some people underestimate the leg size/strength of these guys, look at their upper bodies and say "there is no way that guy weighs what he is listed at" when in fact they are mainly all legs.

Crosby does not look 200 nor did Drouin look 187 from the waist up but thats what he was at the combine.

Many of the top skaters in the league have tree trunks for legs. Crosby can barely walk on land these days.

Finnished

Jan 31, 2013
So no one is watching him play in the play offs? 2+4 in four games. How has he played? Those point totals aren't very good Imo..

Finnished

Jan 31, 2013
You are right, let him slide to 6th overall

I am not saying that. This thread hasn't been this quiet since his injury so I was wondering if anyone could tell how he's played but apparently the only thing written about his playoff performance is "he's been shadowed" well that doesn't tell much. It's just hard to watch the games from Finland that's why I thought I could get some info from here.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Who is shadowing him? Still no talk what so ever about his play off performances. Is he getting the chances? How can he be shadowed in the powerplay for example?

He's getting chances. His linemates have essentially been neutralized though. Sarnia did a good job not only having someone literally hanging off of McDavid's back, but making sure he couldn't pass to anyone. In nearly every game of the Sarnia series, DeBrincat was having trouble adjusting to the playoff type hockey.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Maybe others can shine some light on this, but I'd honestly compare McDavid's playing style closer to Malkin than Crosby. With less size of course. He has the hands and the speed to beat defenders one on one and he's like a missile once he gets going.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Maybe others can shine some light on this, but I'd honestly compare McDavid's playing style closer to Malkin than Crosby. With less size of course. He has the hands and the speed to beat defenders one on one and he's like a missile once he gets going.

That's a pretty fair comment. Skill wise he has a lot of Geno, aside from the big shot. But he thinks the game more like Crosby. Quick decisions, quick passes.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario

I'd say he's somewhat of a mix of both. The way he beats guys one on one is more like Malkin and he's closer in overall size to Malkin (height at least) than he is to Crosby, but the way he thinks the game and even the way he stick handles in tight is all Crosby-like. And I think he's a much better skater at the same age as Crosby anyways. Not to mention his vision and the quick passing nature is practically identical to Crosby.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
That's a pretty fair comment. Skill wise he has a lot of Geno, aside from the big shot. But he thinks the game more like Crosby. Quick decisions, quick passes.

I'd say he's somewhat of a mix of both. The way he beats guys one on one is more like Malkin and he's closer in overall size to Malkin (height at least) than he is to Crosby, but the way he thinks the game and even the way he stick handles in tight is all Crosby-like. And I think he's a much better skater at the same age as Crosby anyways. Not to mention his vision and the quick passing nature is practically identical to Crosby.

Yeah these make a lot of sense. I was only thinking about the way he moves up the ice with the puck which reminded me of Malkin. Thanks for the responses.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
If not the Leafs, I really hope he goes out West. The West needs a generational player and I'd rather not face Buffalo with McDavid 5-6 times a year.

The guy is unbelievable.

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
How can he handle the puck like he does while skating so much faster than anyone else?

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
How can he handle the puck like he does while skating so much faster than anyone else?

He's like a bigger Pavel Bure with Crosby's vision and passing. I knew he would be pretty fast, but I didn't think he'd reach with Bure-like levels of explosiveness. Even if he doesn't live up to the hype, he might still be the most electric player the league has ever seen.

I'm still drooling over his second assist last game with the pass back through one of the two d-man he'd just blown by to get in on a partial breakaway.

Topgoon

Aug 13, 2007
Toronto
He's like a bigger Pavel Bure with Crosby's vision and passing. I knew he would be pretty fast, but I didn't think he'd reach with Bure-like levels of explosiveness. Even if he doesn't live up to the hype, he might still be the most electric player the league has ever seen.

I'm still drooling over his second assist last game with the pass back through one of the two d-man he'd just blown by to get in on a partial breakaway.

That's a fantastic way to describe it - McDavid very, very Bure like in that they both stickhandle and make moves at high speed.

A slightly strange (due to the preference of scoring vs. passing) but very relevant comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad