C Connor McDavid - Erie Otters, OHL (2015 Draft) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Crosby's shot improved a lot from 17 to 20/21 y/o. He is now a very good shooter, but he is still far from elite in terms of power. However his accuracy and quick release are both elite.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Crosby's shot improved a lot from 17 to 20/21 y/o. He is now a very good shooter, but he is still far from elite in terms of power. However his accuracy and quick release are both elite.

Crosby scored 54 goals at 16, McDavid scored 28. Crosby's finishing ability wasn't a weakness compared to McDavid.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Crosby scored 54 goals at 16, McDavid scored 28. Crosby's finishing ability wasn't a weakness compared to McDavid.

As it has been stated many times, goal scoring ability does not equate to shooting ability. Nobody has stated that mcdavid was a better goal scorer than Crosby, nor that he will be.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
As it has been stated many times, goal scoring ability does not equate to shooting ability. Nobody has stated that mcdavid was a better goal scorer than Crosby, nor that he will be.

Right. The numbers don't say who's a better shooter. After adjusting for difference in era, the goal difference is still substantial, but that's largely because he was simply a better player who created more scoring opportunities that he cashed in on one way or another. Crosby improved his shot a lot from his first juniors season through his first couple NHL seaosns. McDavid needs to do the same thing. How that stacks up to Crosby in terms of shooting or as an overall player is whatever it is. At the next level if McDavid wants to be one of the best players in the world, he'll have to find a better balance between scoring and assists, which I think he will, but to do so effectively he'll need to work on his shot. It's not a concern in my book but it is one of the things he will be working on. At the risk of sparking another "vs." conversation, that balance between playmaking and scoring, as well as a more powerful shot, is one thing Eichel has had over McDavid up to now.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Right. The numbers don't say who's a better shooter. After adjusting for difference in era, the goal difference is still substantial, but that's largely because he was simply a better player who created more scoring opportunities that he cashed in on one way or another. Crosby improved his shot a lot from his first juniors season through his first couple NHL seaosns. McDavid needs to do the same thing. How that stacks up to Crosby in terms of shooting or as an overall player is whatever it is. At the next level if McDavid wants to be one of the best players in the world, he'll have to find a better balance between scoring and assists, which I think he will, but to do so effectively he'll need to work on his shot. It's not a concern in my book but it is one of the things he will be working on. At the risk of sparking another "vs." conversation, that balance between playmaking and scoring, as well as a more powerful shot, is one thing Eichel has had over McDavid up to now.
Maybe. Joe Thornton had 30 goals and 46 assists the year before his draft year in junior, McDavid had 28 goals and 71 assists.

Thornton was one of the best players in the NHL during a few seasons.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Maybe. Joe Thornton had 30 goals and 46 assists the year before his draft year in junior, McDavid had 28 goals and 71 assists.

Thornton was one of the best players in the NHL during a few seasons.

No joke, Jumbo Joe popped into my mind as I typed that very sentence. There are exceptions of course but I do think with McDavid's abilities and fast-paced style, he will be able to create chances for himself which he ideally will cash in, versus some of the bigger, deliberate playmaking guys like Getzlaf (most of the time), Thornton, and what teammate Dylan Strome projects to be. In a scenario where those guys might puck protect until something opens up, McDavid will be more likely to be able to open something up for himself is what it boils down to I suppose. I think there's a good chance he'll be a big scorer at the next level in time, not that he needs to necessarily make a conscious effort to be less of a playmaking-minded guy. I'd say all agree his shot needs work regardless of the rest.

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
I think one big factor that may close the gap between Crosby and McDavid is size. 6'1 is a very good size for an elite playmaker of McDavid's style. I don't think we've seen a player very often with both elite playmaking and elite skating that has the frame that he has. Once he fills out, it could translate very well to the pro level.

Last edited:

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
He's over a 3PPG pace right now.:amazed:

And there is still a period left to play.

wouldn't expect much more offense tonight.

the game has already been in "lock it down and let the rookies play" mode for the last five minutes.

pretty amazing start to the season though.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Gonna be a ton of fun watching this all year. McDavid's obviously lighting it up and Eichel had 4 pts and a plus 5 tonite.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Only concern is that he played the game fully on the wing - has this been common? I realize they want to pair him with a skilled guy like Strome. But you would have to think most teams want him controlling the pace down the middle. Is he that bad on the dot?

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
This kid is just too good. Is Kitchener this bad? They play them, again tonight, McDavid could have another huge game.

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
Man he just oozes offense. He has an innate ability to create time and space out of nothing. Part of that ability comes from his elite speed and vision, but it's also the quickness he has making decisions and reads which is something that separates Crosby from the pack as well.

Generational talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad