C Connor McDavid - Erie Otters, OHL (2015 Draft) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Haven't seen a 16 year old tear up the O like this since Yapukov.

Yakupov was an impressive 16 yo to be sure - a real athletic freak and a man amongst boys. To me, what's (much) impressive about mcdavid is the cerebral dominance he's shown. A couple of real nice passes last night.

Bure All Day

Mar 29, 2012
Vancouver
I think in his first NHL season, he could be a 70-80 point guy. At this point I don't see him being as dominant as Sid, Ovie, or Geno.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Yakupov was an impressive 16 yo to be sure - a real athletic freak and a man amongst boys. To me, what's (much) impressive about mcdavid is the cerebral dominance he's shown. A couple of real nice passes last night.

Yakapov is a late B day remember. His rookie season he turned 17 early October. He only played 2 years in the OHL, basically as a 17 year old and 18 year old.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
He plays in the same line as Burakovsky now right? How do they look together? Is Burra a scorer and McDavid a passer primary or is it both ways?

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
He plays in the same line as Burakovsky now right? How do they look together? Is Burra a scorer and McDavid a passer primary or is it both ways?

Early on, Burakovsky was the scorer and McDavid was the passer. Lately, though, McDavid has been scoring more goals, so I'd say it is a bit more even now.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
I didn't think he was very good last night at all. Wasn't backchecking, floated around and tried to do too much. However, when he has that puck, you can see the insane talent he possesses. The second assist was ****ing gorgeous and his hands on the first one were really nice.

As he gets older I think his work-ethic and defensive play will improve. He has always gotten by and then some with his incredible talent and given his age, it's not surprising that he hasn't developed a sound two-way game.

A guy behind me at the game was criticizing him the entire time comparing him to Russian..was rather annoying.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Early on, Burakovsky was the scorer and McDavid was the passer. Lately, though, McDavid has been scoring more goals, so I'd say it is a bit more even now.

Who else is on their line. I don't get a chance to watch junior games, is there a way to find out the line combinations online?

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Who else is on their line. I don't get a chance to watch junior games, is there a way to find out the line combinations online?
I don't watch them consistently but last night it was Michael Curtis.

Dane Fox - Brendan Gaunce - Connor Brown
Michael Curtis - Connor McDavid - Andre Burakovsky

That was the top six.

Tibetzz

Nov 8, 2013
I don't watch them consistently but last night it was Michael Curtis.

Dane Fox - Brendan Gaunce - Connor Brown
Michael Curtis - Connor McDavid - Andre Burakovsky

That was the top six.

As a Canucks and McDavid fan, I'm conflicted on that line change.

Billy6

Dec 23, 2012
I didn't think he was very good last night at all. Wasn't backchecking, floated around and tried to do too much. However, when he has that puck, you can see the insane talent he possesses. The second assist was ****ing gorgeous and his hands on the first one were really nice.

As he gets older I think his work-ethic and defensive play will improve. He has always gotten by and then some with his incredible talent and given his age, it's not surprising that he hasn't developed a sound two-way game.

A guy behind me at the game was criticizing him the entire time comparing him to Russian..was rather annoying.

I was at the game last night as well and I agree with this assessment 100%.

The one element to McDavid's game that needs to improve is his intensity. His skill is off the charts but there were quite a few times last night that the puck would leave Peterborough's zone with McDavid stuck deep and Erie would force a turnover in centre ice and McDavid would be lollygagging back not allowing his team to re-enter the zone. In fairness however the game was never in doubt so maybe come playoff or World junior time it will be different, but I didn't see Crosby like determination in all three zones last night.

He took a few big hits too. At one point he got pasted along the sideboards and had to walk it off down the tunnel to the dressing room. I was thinking oh no ... Concussion but he came back without missing a shift and looked fine.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
I was at the game last night as well and I agree with this assessment 100%.

The one element to McDavid's game that needs to improve is his intensity. His skill is off the charts but there were quite a few times last night that the puck would leave Peterborough's zone with McDavid stuck deep and Erie would force a turnover in centre ice and McDavid would be lollygagging back not allowing his team to re-enter the zone. In fairness however the game was never in doubt so maybe come playoff or World junior time it will be different, but I didn't see Crosby like determination in all three zones last night.

He took a few big hits too. At one point he got pasted along the sideboards and had to walk it off down the tunnel to the dressing room. I was thinking oh no ... Concussion but he came back without missing a shift and looked fine.

I thought at the U18's he looked pretty darn determined.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Perhaps it was just the game last night or the level of competition, but he seemed fairly disinterested when the puck wasn't on his stick.

I think this happens to him quite a bit especially if he's just lead a rush at full speed and has to backcheck after a turnover (not necessarily his own). Watched him play last weekend twice and this happened several times. Not to go overboard with the Crosby comparisons, but this also happened to him when he was starting out in major jr - he would totally go ballistic in the first 30 seconds of his shift and then run out of energy towards the end, causing mistakes. I wouldn't call him a poor defender though, just sometimes too tired to defend well.

VeyforSelke

Jul 4, 2011
Victoria, BC
Same, can't find a stream anywhere. If your going to broadcast it on sportsnet, put in on all your regional networks! All I'm getting is poker.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
Anyone else suddenly feel much older, when you realize that Sidney Crosby is actually 10 years older than McDavid?

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Honest question: Why is McDavid not dominating?

I know he has 48 points in 30 games but with all the hype surrounding him "Better than Crosby"...I thought he'd be doing better than 7th in OHL scoring, heck, he's third on his own team. I admit I haven't seen any Erie games, so perhaps someone can clue me in on McDavid's performance. The fact that he doesn't have a thread in the first three pages of the prospect board should be enough evidence that nobody really has anything to say about him when he is supposed to be a generational player in the making.

Anchor Town*

I know he has 48 points in 30 games but with all the hype surrounding him "Better than Crosby"...I thought he'd be doing better than 7th in OHL scoring, heck, he's third on his own team. I admit I haven't seen any Erie games, so perhaps someone can clue me in on McDavid's performance. The fact that he doesn't have a thread in the first three pages of the prospect board should be enough evidence that nobody really has anything to say about him when he is supposed to be a generational player in the making.

He's 16 and dominating (over 1.5 PPG in the CHL is dominating) against 18 and 19 year olds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad