C Cody Glass - Portland Winterhawks, WHL (2017, 6th, VGK)

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Seems almost appropriate given Button's reference to Scheifele.

When I read that I wanted the Jets to get him, I'm not sure I like Comparisons but I hope the Jets get him somehow, he may need development but I think he's a gem, he's No.1 on my draft board as a Jets fan.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I think that Glass will make the big 2 a big 3 before this tournament is done.

Very smart player with the physical attributes (size, skating, shot) to make the most of every play.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Pointed this out in the Hischier thread, but anyone who wants to check this kid out, TSN is uploading the Canada games (but unfortunately not the USA games to their On-Demand channel. Not sure if the Switzerland game is up yet, but it should be within a day.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I think that Glass will make the big 2 a big 3 before this tournament is done.

Very smart player with the physical attributes (size, skating, shot) to make the most of every play.

To me Patrick is the clear #1 but Glass and Tippett are battling for the #2 spot while Vilardi and Hischier are battling for #4

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I'm beginning to organize a top 100 list. Started at the top with Glass. It's was either him or Nico Hichier.

I just think Glass has absolutely insane potential. He is the only guy in the draft that I can see becoming a #1 centre.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I see why some have ranked ahead of Vilardi. I like him better than Middlestadt and Vilardi. Only thing he doesn't grade very highly on is skating, looks average to me there, will get better but he's not going to be a great skater.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Not an impressive showing by Glass these past 2 games.

Not sure he had allot to prove to organizations since he is in the highly scouted CHL but I think its safe to say he isn't getting a Tyson Jost bump from the U18's.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't see the Ryjo/Schiefele comparisons so much myself, he plays a more skilled game. Honestly I see more of a Sam Bennett at the same age, I really like his upside.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
hopefully turns out better than Sam Bennett at this age tho.

For what it's worth, I'm a massive Bennett homer and still think he's going to be a very good player, despite him having a disappointing season. Nonetheless, in Bennett's draft year, he was viewed as a topline C. But as a style of play, I see more than that than Johansen.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Bump, So there has been some talk about Glass around 5th or lower. Anyone know a lot about this guy? Think he is a hidden gem that should be higher than projected? Thought we could get this thread going.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Genuine question, and I feel kinda dumb for asking this: Why is Cody Glass consistently ranked below Vilardi?

He has a slightly better PPG average than Vilardi, and is also a good two-player like Vilardi?

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Genuine question, and I feel kinda dumb for asking this: Why is Cody Glass consistently ranked below Vilardi?

He has a slightly better PPG average than Vilardi, and is also a good two-player like Vilardi?

They should be within a few spots of each other at worst IMO. They're definitely the same tier, and I wouldn't bat an eye at taking one over the other. I actually think their general skill level is pretty equal, so is their IQ. Both are smart on and off the puck. But Glass is certainly a better skater in stride, though he still needs to work on his quickness too, though not to Vilardi's extent. Allows him to be better off the rush. Glass is more raw physically. But Vilardi also hasn't even played much center this year, and his projection there is worthy of debate, though he has the IQ to do it.

I imagine it mostly comes down to their below the dots game. Vilardi is an absolute force in the cycle game and winning battles. He plays far bigger and more of a power game, and we know how NHL people think. Glass is tall and engaged in the play always, but his strength and puck control is not exactly his best attribute. A lot of times, in the o-zone he really thrives off give and go plays so he doesn't get knocked off the puck or lose a battle. Again, physically raw and underweight so more projection is in order. To me, you could argue either one. Will be interesting to see in several years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad