C Cody Glass - Portland Winterhawks, WHL (2017, 6th, VGK)

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
As the non-binary-conceived son of Cody Bass and Jeff Glass, he has done quite well for himself.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Anyone know what this guys all about? I haven't watched him yet but with 3 points so far tonight he's putting up good numbers this far.

whlscowt

Just watched a replay of the Hawks/Raiders game, and the young Glass had a heckuva game. Enough that I wanted to come make a post. I saw him quite a bit last year as I was keeping an eye on Alex Schoenborn (his linemate last year, and a Sharks prospect) and while always a very good skater, and decent offensive arsenal he lacked what I thought was the offensive mind at the WHL level to be dominant--and that's knowing he was a bit of force to be reckoned with in Manitoba AAA hockey. Then again he was lining up with Schoenborn... who while a good hockey player, isn't the scoring type. Kid's grown since spring too and not just vertically, I remember a few seasons back at Portland camp he was like a buck thirty.

He's a really sneaky player, not overly physical, but has a deceptive, and quick wrister, and what I saw in this Raiders game is he has an uncanny ability to shed his defender, and find the open space. He reminds me of Pavelski--only in that regard of being able to elude coverage in the slot area.

I've said this before with the Hepo kid, and sound like a broken record, but I'm always apprehensive about big scoring systems, like say a Winterhawks club which is always ran well in the offensive end, because I do think it plays a part in his scoring pace, but he's definitely a nice looking prospect and for any WHL fans, I'd without a doubt take Glass over Hepo.

whlscowt

Not the greatest of games on the statsheet, but he looked good again in terms of skillset. Made a few sloppy plays, but I was impressed with his zone entry.

How about that Libor Hajek though eh? He was on whenever Glass was on and basically shut him down. The Lightning have something special there.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
A bit OT but how can Portland have 3 imports? They have Abols, Jokiharju and Blichfeld.

whlscowt

A bit OT but how can Portland have 3 imports? They have Abols, Jokiharju and Blichfeld.

There's a grace period at the start of the season with imports (2) and overagers (3) where you can rotate them in and out of the lineup before a mid...ish-october date. I believe they have to make a move by the end of the weekend, but I'm not 100% on the date.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
If he keeps it up, why not?

Patrick, Rasmussen and Yamamoto are safe assumptions to go ahead of him today. I like Popugayev but can see the red flags for NHL teams there. After that it's pretty wide open. I think to go in the 1st he needs to separate significantly from the 2nd tier of guys like Shaw, Lechshsyn, and Mattheos.

I am excited to see how this year plays out for the WHL, it's much deeper than last year that's for sure.

whlscowt

I saw the Portland game this evening, and while he only had a secondary assist, he played a really strong 2-way game. Almost every shift he was out there, I had gave him a check mark for a good shift. He's such a great skater, and a good passer, and has good puck control. The one big takeaway from watching this game is just how good he is on draws. I've been saying it in other WHL player threads, so I might as well say it here. Outside of Patrick, Glass is the best the WHL has to offer. He looks like a really good player.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
I saw the Portland game this evening, and while he only had a secondary assist, he played a really strong 2-way game. Almost every shift he was out there, I had gave him a check mark for a good shift. He's such a great skater, and a good passer, and has good puck control. The one big takeaway from watching this game is just how good he is on draws. I've been saying it in other WHL player threads, so I might as well say it here. Outside of Patrick, Glass is the best the WHL has to offer. He looks like a really good player.

I have him as the 3rd best WHL player behind Patrick and Yamamoto. All 3 are unreal players.

whlscowt

Had a chance to watch his game from last night and Glass impressed again. He was the best Winterhawk on both sides of the ice. Very good speed (was impressed with his backcheck), looks very poised with the puck, solid on the draws, his shot wasn't on high display but it looked just okay tonight though he flicked in a goal. I think what you're getting with Glass is a very complete player who competes hard has a lot of checkmarks for things people look for in a top 6 center.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Does he have top 6 NHL potential and good offensive skills ? Or is he destined for a bottom 6 role?

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Does he have top 6 NHL potential and good offensive skills ? Or is he destined for a bottom 6 role?
He has top 6 potential that's why it's surprising that he doesn't get into top 15-20 in the first round. He was a first round bantam pick, he was one of, if not the best players in Manitoba at 14-15 years old (Mattheos was probably considered #1). Glass is 6'2 with high-end vision and playmaking ability, he can also shoot the puck well and is an above-average skater. He's not a passive player, but he won't rough it up either. He's going to fill out and gain weight, he's 170 right now so he has a lot of potential physically.

That's the one thing that should intrigue everyone, skill is available everywhere, size is available everywhere. But, skill + size should be a top 15 quality at least. Glass is a good skater as well, not superstar fast or agile, but skating doesn't slow him from the play.

whlscowt

Currently watching the Spokane game and Cody Glass is head and shoulders above Yamamoto, literally and figuratively. There's not a doubt in my mind watching those two play on the same surface that Glass is the better player. He's just so much more involved in every play.

I've been noticing Glass has been steadily climbing the rankings (I think near the start of the year he was barely a 2nd round option, and now most lists have him in the 20's if not late teens, but I really think given what I've seen so far of this draft class that he's a top 10 pick now. For sure I wouldn't pick anyone else in the WHL after Patrick. The more people see of this player, the more they see a really complete scoring threat.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Currently have him in the 9-12 range (not quite decided where).

Aside from Heiskanen, he's probably the most underrated prospect in the draft. I'd like to see him get quicker but he is an extremely sneaky and clever player on the ice. Absolutely no problem projecting him as an above-average 2C. I prefer him over Vilardi honestly.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Still not a lot of talk about him. At the start of the year I was hoping he could be a 2nd-3rd round local boy pick but I think that's out the window. Had another fantastic game a few nights ago

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->