C Cody Glass - Portland Winterhawks, WHL (2017, 6th, VGK)

Brian Fogarty

@hockey_prophets
Apr 29, 2011
hockeyprophets.com
Player Notes on Cody Glass

Here are our player notes on Cody Glass. I watched him a lot over the last week, and I don't see any issues with his first step. He doesn't have huge explosiveness, but his skating is closing on plus level in most aspects. My recent (as yet unpublished) draft ranking has him at 10th overall.

One of my favorite parts of the full interview that Zachary had with him (see article above) was the sequence about the goal off of the Iverson pass. He literally would not take credit for the goal at all. From the full transcript:

ZDV: And then, walk me through your goal. This was your 27th goal of the season.

CG: Um-hmm. I think, yeah, Keegs had it on the half wall and he gave me a nice cross-ice pass and I just tried getting a piece of it at the net. I connected with it, and it went in the back of the net, so it was nice.

ZDV: So you’re being pretty humble. It was a hell of a one timer from a really sharp angle.

CG: Aw, yeah it was—

ZDV: And you got it short side over his shoulder, so—

CG: Exactly. No, it was a really nice pass from Keegs, and I think without that pass I wouldn’t have scored, too. So it was a nice pass.​

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Kid seems to rising on draft boards. Reminds me the year Kyle Connor came out of no where. Don't know much about Cody, just that it's a bit similar situation to Connor.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Kid seems to rising on draft boards. Reminds me the year Kyle Connor came out of no where. Don't know much about Cody, just that it's a bit similar situation to Connor.
Surprised that you think Kyle Common came out of nowhere. He entered 2014/15 as an HM on Mckenzie's list (only did a top 15) and Hockey Prospect had him as the #4 guy at the end of the 2013/14 season. Glass wasn't an honorable mention on either. Depending on how far he rises, he probably has more in common with RyJo, although, RyJo was an even more obscure prospect.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Surprised that you think Kyle Common came out of nowhere. He entered 2014/15 as an HM on Mckenzie's list (only did a top 15) and Hockey Prospect had him as the #4 guy at the end of the 2013/14 season. Glass wasn't an honorable mention on either. Depending on how far he rises, he probably has more in common with RyJo, although, RyJo was an even more obscure prospect.

I'm aware he was slotted at about mid-rage. As it got closer to the draft didn't he rise into the top ten. I believe Button was raving about Connor. The same with Glass who was originally at mid-rage and is now in the top ten. I actually saw him slotted 4th somewhere.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'm aware he was slotted at about mid-rage. As it got closer to the draft didn't he rise into the top ten. I believe Button was raving about Connor. The same with Glass who was originally at mid-rage and is now in the top ten. I actually saw him slotted 4th somewhere.
His stock stayed relatively the same. He was on McKenzie's final list at 13 (after being most likely in the 16-19 range as there were 4 hm after a top 15). I can't get Button's rankings for September of 2014 for the 2015 draft. But, I don't think Connor was a massive riser. Some guys loved him, but those who did usually loved him entering the year. He had a very impressive D-1 in the USHL.

That drafts big riser was probably Provorov is I remember correctly.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
His stock stayed relatively the same. He was on McKenzie's final list at 13 (after being most likely in the 16-19 range as there were 4 hm after a top 15). I can't get Button's rankings for September of 2014 for the 2015 draft. But, I don't think Connor was a massive riser. Some guys loved him, but those who did usually loved him entering the year. He had a very impressive D-1 in the USHL.

That drafts big riser was probably Provorov is I remember correctly.

Chabot was a big riser. Eriksson Ek maybe too? Of course Senyshyn proved to be a big riser at the actual draft but not as much on the various scouting lists, possibly only the Bruins' list :D

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010

I wouldn't say he came out of nowhere in the sense that he has been top ten scoring pretty much from Day 1...but he has made a steady rise in the rankings all season. One of the many intriguing things about him is that he was 5-9 whe he was drafted..had quite a growth spurt.

I love everything about this kid's game..the only slight knock is his speed, but he is still growing into his body and just needs to get stronger..the stride and mechanics are good.

We now have him ranked fourth overall at Recrutes....and I would not rule out having him ahead of Patrick by draft day..some concerns popping up about the Brandon center..especially away from the puck.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I wouldn't say he came out of nowhere in the sense that he has been top ten scoring pretty much from Day 1...but he has made a steady rise in the rankings all season. One of the many intriguing things about him is that he was 5-9 whe he was drafted..had quite a growth spurt.

I love everything about this kid's game..the only slight knock is his speed, but he is still growing into his body and just needs to get stronger..the stride and mechanics are good.

We now have him ranked fourth overall at Recrutes....and I would not rule out having him ahead of Patrick by draft day..some concerns popping up about the Brandon center..especially away from the puck.

Wow, that's a bold statement. However, nothing would shock me in this year's draft. As I said some draft board had him at 4, so you never know.

dman34

May 6, 2011
Sounds a bit like Bo Horvat when he was drafted.

I could be way off, but would Stepan be a decent comparison? Lacks first step explosiveness, has good positioning and very high hockey IQ? Or would Giroux be a better one?

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Wow, that's a bold statement. However, nothing would shock me in this year's draft. As I said some draft board had him at 4, so you never know.

I have several NHL scouts as regular contacts..it helps having scouted in the NHL...Glass is becoming more and more coveted..and more and more whispers about Patrick are popping up.

One WHL coach recently told me Patrick has been "downright lazy" in recent viewing. Away from the puck he is not putting in the effort.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
IF everything about Cody's Character is true I'm sure Benning has an eye on him. Usually risers have more success than fallers since scouts are more skeceptical about their preformance since they come out of nowhere.

Benning was quote yesterday as looking for a top 2 C or a QB PP

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I have several NHL scouts as regular contacts..it helps having scouted in the NHL...Glass is becoming more and more coveted..and more and more whispers about Patrick are popping up.

One WHL coach recently told me Patrick has been "downright lazy" in recent viewing. Away from the puck he is not putting in the effort.

I don't doubt that you hear concerns about Patrick. But realistically speaking, don't you think something significant would have to happen for him to be supplanted as the #1 overall... considering how long he has been regarded as the best prospect in this class?

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
I don't doubt that you hear concerns about Patrick. But realistically speaking, don't you think something significant would have to happen for him to be supplanted as the #1 overall... considering how long he has been regarded as the best prospect in this class?

At this point I would be surprised if Hischier doesn't go ahead of him. Angelo Esposito was considered the top pick for two years right up until February of his draft year..he won't drop like Espo did..but it's happened before.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I have Glass in my top 5 aswell, i agree with Grant that he's easily been more impressive than Patrick so far this year.

I've had Patrick #2 (behind Hischier) for a while now and honestly i don't really feel like he's playing like a 2nd OA player either..

Last edited:

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Glass is going to look good in the orange and black of Philadelphia (most mock drafts that I've seen have him ending up in Philadelphia). I love his overall skill set. I get that he plays for a high scoring team in Portland, but he does so many little things right that all the good players do. He's got good size, plays hard in all three zones and has very soft hands.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
I think you need to be careful with comparisons..every player is different..sometimes they just are who they are...you don't HAVE to compare them to others.

Thanks for saying this. The obsessive need to put players in neat little 'comparable' boxes detracts from understanding their playing styles and potential more often than it adds to it, IMO.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
After Suzuki, Glass has put down the most consistent season start to finish. It's going to be interesting to see what these guys do in the playoffs. Glass should be viewed as a safe pick in the top 5 that has plenty of upside. It's entirely plausible the some teams may slot him as high as #2.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I haven't really commented on this lad and since it's me*.

If I am a team beyond 4th and I have a chance of either drafting Owen Tippett or Cody Glass, I am definitely drafting Glass. I see a character kid who's game rises in more important situations. As well as a player where a lot of his tools are made for the modern NHL game, a player who's tools resembles Brad Marchand's quite a bit (again not playing style here). He's going to be one hell of a player.

(*= as I don't really agree normally with what the consensus thinks here).

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Glass is going to look good in the orange and black of Philadelphia (most mock drafts that I've seen have him ending up in Philadelphia). I love his overall skill set. I get that he plays for a high scoring team in Portland, but he does so many little things right that all the good players do. He's got good size, plays hard in all three zones and has very soft hands.

Portland's offense isn't quite as high octane as it was in most recent years

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I have Glass in my top 5 aswell, i agree with Grant that he's easily been more impressive than Patrick so far this year.

I've had Patrick #2 (behind Hischier) for a while now and honestly i don't really feel like he's playing like a 2nd OA player either..
No one is really playing to a level you'd expect from a 2nd overall pick. At least anyone from the CHL. I simply haven't seen enough of Pettersson or Mittelstadt to make a comment, but I'd doubt it. Mittelstadt has impressed me at every international event he is a part of though. Statistically speaking, this is by far the weakest top of a CHL class I've seen in the past 5 years. Glass's skating holds him back from challenging Patrick and Hischier, but if a team like him over Vilardi (who I have at 3rd) I wouldn't think it was an insane opinion. Glass has similar skating issues (but in my opinion will find it easier to correct, as the top speed is already there) but has excelled as a center. He's pretty clearly pushed himself into that 3-12 range. If Hischier and Patrick don't close strong, we may see them grouped in with those guys.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Portland's offense isn't quite as high octane as it was in most recent years

Absolutely this, when they broke the CHL's recruiting laws where they were penalized like three years of 1st rounders and some of their 2nds. They lost a TON of potential talent.

What saved them is that the Winterhawks do still get the top American recruits like Jones, Iverson, and Texeira as well as import draft with the likes of Blichfeld and Hokiharju. It's not like Glass was a top 5, 10, or even a top 15 player either, he was drafted 19th overall in 2014. Hawks are just a well ran organization who make good decisions even with the law breaking consequences. Of course playing a major city like Portland besides the wonders and beauty of Prince George also help. All in all, they did lose a lot of talent, but are still a solid team in the WC.

Brian Fogarty

@hockey_prophets
Apr 29, 2011
hockeyprophets.com

I just released my latest draft rankings with Patrick still at number one, but I was sorely tempted to put Hischier above him. Patrick has been disappointing. Flashes of brilliance, then a lot of just blah.

Glass has been very impressive. I have him now at 8 (up from 18 in January).

Here's a link, if you're interested: http://hockeyprophets.com/index.php/draft-rankings/2017-the-99s

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad