C Cody Glass - Portland Winterhawks, WHL (2017, 6th, VGK)

whlscowt

Still not a lot of talk about him. At the start of the year I was hoping he could be a 2nd-3rd round local boy pick but I think that's out the window. Had another fantastic game a few nights ago

I know right. It's crazy, I think a lot of people just aren't watching WHL hockey. Glass just keeps moving up for me. I have him 7th on my board, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he goes top 5. One of the smartest 2 way centers in the draft with upper level skill potential and a blue collar mentality, and there's only 2 pages on this guy.

The impressive part about those 5 points, 4 were scored on Ingram. He's getting it done against top level competitions, and isn't just feasting on 16 year olds.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
How comparable would he be to Dubois? Both have kinda come out of relative nowhere in their draft years and both put up numbers worthy of a top, top pick in most years.

I know Dubois was touted as a really strong two way guy, how's the rest of Glass' game?Offensively he seems to be a pretty complete package.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
I probably cherry-picked his best game of the season (the 2 goal/3 assist game I posted in here), but he creates so many more chances it's crazy.

One-game samples but this is the best game I've seen from a prospect this year.

Last edited:

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Really solid "5 on 5" production.
45 points in 47 games "5 on 5"

Someone outside of the top 10 is going to very happy.

For Context
Rasmussen has 19 points in 49 games "5 on 5"

Last edited:

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
I think he's doing all he can to go inside that top 10. His production is exactly in line with most WHLers who have gone top 10 in recent 'stronger' years and there's no real knock on his game.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
4 Points tonight, now at 72 points in 50 games or a 1.44 P/G pace.

He'd be an absolute steal in the mid-teens.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
4 Points tonight, now at 72 points in 50 games or a 1.44 P/G pace.

He'd be an absolute steal in the mid-teens.

He's not getting past the top 10. If he does i hope my Habs move both their 2nd's + 1st and maybe another piece to move up for him.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
He's not getting past the top 10. If he does i hope my Habs move both their 2nd's + 1st and maybe another piece to move up for him.

He really shouldn't, but stranger things have happened. I'd love for the Canucks to snag him up.

Last edited:

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
His skating needs a lot of work. No first step explosiveness. He can work on that.

Agree 100% first step is slow, however top speed is actually quite fast.

It's funny though, on Bob Mackenzie's mid season rankings show, Craig Button said that Glass was the best skater in the draft??? It caught me off guard when I heard it. I don't agree with him at all.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Yea acceleration and top speed are different, both are important but for dmen acceleration is way more important. Both are equally important for forwards (top speed might be more relevant for forwards because theyre usually always in movement as opposed to dmen who are flat-footed).

Last edited:

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Yeah he's not bad, not great, but definitely not the best skater in the draft. I'd say that honour goes to either Tippett or Yamamoto.

He probably has one of the best hockey IQs in the draft however.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeah he's not bad, not great, but definitely not the best skater in the draft. I'd say that honour goes to either Tippett or Yamamoto.

He probably has one of the best hockey IQs in the draft however.
I'd say the on-ice top prospects test have done a pretty good job of revealing the best skaters in recent years. Guys like McDavid, Mackinnon, Virtanen, and Kyrou won it, while Marner, Ehlers, and Chychrun finished 2nd. Obviously, this can only cover CHL guys. But, it is interesting, Tippett didn't finish top 3 in one drill. Yamamoto was dominant in the agility drills with and without the puck. Alex Formenton finished first, followed by Crete-Belzile, Markus Phillips, Hischier and surprisingly Rasmussen. As for flat out speed, Frost won the 90m forward skate with and without the drill. I'm not exactly sure on the system, but I believe it is weighted to balance out forward and d.

http://sherwin-williamstopprospects.ca/article/chls-top-prospects-perform-in-sport-testing-combine

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I really like him from a statistic perspective, if his skills are anywhere near top 10 in the draft everything adds up to an elite prospect.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I could be way off, but would Stepan be a decent comparison? Lacks first step explosiveness, has good positioning and very high hockey IQ? Or would Giroux be a better one?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2