C Cody Glass - Portland Winterhawks, WHL (2017, 6th, VGK)

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Does he head to the Chicago Wolves now? I'll be interested to see how he does in the AHL. Thought he'd lead Portland to the WHL finals this year, but right now it looks like Tri-City's year to own the WHL.

I'm just curious because Vegas might place him on their roster, but I think it's best he heads to the Chicago Wolves.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Eakin has been really good closing out the season and in the playoffs. That is Glass’s competition next year for a center spot.

Haula and Karlsson are locks, Bellemare is locked in at 4C, so either Glass takes Eakin’s spot, or plays the wing.

I say he starts in the AHL to be honest, which I’m almost always in favor of for rookies. I don’t think he will stay there for more than a quarter to a half of aseason though. His game is too mature and rounded to not be NHL ready very quickly.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Eakin has been really good closing out the season and in the playoffs. That is Glass’s competition next year for a center spot.

Haula and Karlsson are locks, Bellemare is locked in at 4C, so either Glass takes Eakin’s spot, or plays the wing.

I say he starts in the AHL to be honest, which I’m almost always in favor of for rookies. I don’t think he will stay there for more than a quarter to a half of aseason though. His game is too mature and rounded to not be NHL ready very quickly.

Glass cannot play in the AHL to start next season.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Care to elaborate on why hes so far ahead of Suzuki?

Don’t think he’s “so far” ahead of Suzuki, but he is definintely the more promising, safer player.

Glass has NHL size, skating, and the two way game to play in the NHL.

Suzuki is no slouch defensively, but he’s not on Glass’s level. He is under 6”, and is not a plus skater.

Suzuki has that boom bust potential while Glass is almost assuredly going to be a 3rd line shut down center worst case imo.

Reactions: HanSolo

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Don’t think he’s “so far” ahead of Suzuki, but he is definintely the more promising, safer player.

Suzuki is no slouch defensively, but he’s not on Glass’s level. He is under 6”, and is not a plus skater.

Suzuki has that boom bust potential while Glass is almost assuredly going to be a 3rd line shut down center worst case imo.

Disagree with the label that Suzuki is a flashy boom/bust prospect. You could say the same thing about him: at worst he's a 3rd line 2-way C in the NHL.

Not that he's better than Glass.

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.

Yooooooo. Too much Information bro.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
So jealous of Vegas getting both Glass and Suzuki in the draft last year. Two of my favorite prospects.

Kind of crazy how good Vegas NHL team is already this year and then you combine it with the fact that they got two stud prospects in Glass and Suzuki (and a bunch of other very good depth prospects).

Like, they have a better prospect pool than a couple of teams in the NHL and that is after only 1 NHL draft. Crazy...

Future is bright.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Does anyone watch the WHL enough to comment on why they believe Glass is a substantially better prospect than Bellerive (besides the height difference: 6'2" to 5'10")?

I ask because I'm a Pens fan and haven't been able to watch Bellerive live since development camp - I'm purely box score watching - but the idea of my team's undrafted player putting up similar numbers to a #6 overall from last year is intriguing.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Does anyone watch the WHL enough to comment on why they believe Glass is a substantially better prospect than Bellerive (besides the height difference: 6'2" to 5'10")?

I ask because I'm a Pens fan and haven't been able to watch Bellerive live since development camp - I'm purely box score watching - but the idea of my team's undrafted player putting up similar numbers to a #6 overall from last year is intriguing.
Bellerive has been fantastic, but Glass projects to the NHL better and has more room to grow? I don’t know, as one who has watched both players around a dozen times this season, I guess I can’t emphatically answer your question.

- Glass has the size advantage (not only in height; I think he has the frame to put on a lot of useful mass)
- Glass projects as a centre
- Cody’s style of offensive game usually transfers to the pro game better
- I’d have to say that Glass has Bellerive beat in a lot of individual skills, although Jordy is pretty damn close in many and appears to have Horny-level passion in the way he plays

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Bellerive has been fantastic, but Glass projects to the NHL better and has more room to grow? I don’t know, as one who has watched both players around a dozen times this season, I guess I can’t emphatically answer your question.

- Glass has the size advantage (not only in height; I think he has the frame to put on a lot of useful mass)
- I’d have to say that Glass has Bellerive beat in a lot of individual skills, although Jordy is pretty damn close in many and appears to have Horny-level passion in the way he plays

Thanks for the input. Keeping in mind that I haven't watched either player in junior, could you elaborate a little in terms of how Glass's style of game differs from Bellerive's? Is he more of a cerebral offense-driver while Bellerive's an energy, shoot-first guy? I've heard a lot of good things about his compete level too.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Thanks for the input. Keeping in mind that I haven't watched either player in junior, could you elaborate a little in terms of how Glass's style of game differs from Bellerive's? Is he more of a cerebral offense-driver while Bellerive's an energy, shoot-first guy? I've heard a lot of good things about his compete level too.
You’ve hit the nail on the head. Glass sometimes looks like prime Thornton out there (not saying he gets to be anywhere as good), but he’s also got a very good shot and aggressive offensive instincts. Bellerive reminds me a lot of a grittier Guentzel.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You’ve hit the nail on the head. Glass sometimes looks like prime Thornton out there (not saying he gets to be anywhere as good), but he’s also got a very good shot and aggressive offensive instincts. Bellerive reminds me a lot of a grittier Guentzel.

Good stuff - and no matter how he compares to Glass, a "grittier Guentzel" style of game sounds incredible to me. Appreciate the first-hand insight.

Reactions: 99664987

pacehimself

Oct 5, 2008

That’s some intense passion

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Its so obvious that Cody Glass is a pro level ready player and is playing in a wrong league, completely destroying WHL this season.
Vegas has made two giant blunders this season; sending Cody Glass to the WHL and sending Erik Brännström to the AHL.
- also...even its probably too early, but nevertheless, i'm pretty sure signing Stastny was a huge mistake as well, he has been utter trash,
i was shocked when i heard the news about Stastny signing, why would team that is partly known about speed would sign a player
in his after years who can't skate

I predicted before the season that both Glass&Brännström would start the season in the NHL but i guess their staff saw it differently.

Glass has played 6 games so far with almost 3.00 ppg avg.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Glass should be in the AHL, not NHL. Brannstrom is also fine playing top pair i the AHL vs bottom pair NHL. They will get there, it isn’t a sprint

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00