C Cody Glass - Portland Winterhawks, WHL (2017, 6th, VGK)

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
Really hope we get him at 5 and then can pick Pettersson/Necas at 8 if we get that pick from Buffalo in a Tanev blockbuster. Heart is really set on Glass

Really interesting that Button says hes on the same level as Hischier and Patrick. But then some saying Heiskanen or Makar could end up being the best of this draft. And the odd person saying Necas will end up as the best. And of course theres Vilardi. Such a big uncertainty of who will go where and who will end up the best this is gonna be one of those drafts that we are redrafting for many years and a lot of fans will have regrets very high and some lower ones could strike gold. Hopefully we get our luck after disaster top end drafts in 2014 and 2016 but unfortunately Bennings record is awful

This is a very good description of this draft year. Oh and I think Vancouver should draft Glass, need guys like him in the western conference.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
My take for the three posters who like my analysis:

I think the Scheifele comparisons are fair as a ceiling, but I think Travis Zajac might end up being the best comparison - rangy responsible player who reads the play well and can create offense, but will probably need a speedy / skilled winger to help him reach 1C status. I think his low end projection would be a Nick Bonino type.

Glass is the type of player that is very hard to project because a) he's not as physically mature as most top picks IMO and b) his ability to overcome his main weakness will be heavily dependent on his personal work ethic and dedication. That last one is hard to nail down unless you've had the chance to sit down and talk with him and past coaches / teammates. You need to have a good sense of his work ethic off the ice to gauge if he can improve his skating enough to be a consistent scoring threat at the next level.

I think he might have the best raw toolset of all the top prospects. Hr checks all the boxes in areas that can't be easily taught or improved upon with hard work. He's a very quick and deliberate decision maker, he's got a great nose for the puck around the net, he goes to scoring areas, he competes in both ends, and he sees the ice very well. For such a talented playmaker, he plays a surprisingly 'mistake free' game, rare to see at this age.

But his skating deficiencies will require lots of hard work over the next few years to become a top line player - look at guys like Scheifele, Horvat, and Tavares, who had question marks about their skating but put in the work to turn that weakness into a strength. If I had the confidence that he had that sort of commitment and work ethic, I'd have no hesitation in taking him with the 1st pick (especially considering Patrick isn't the best skater either, but is just more physically mature).

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
My take for the three posters who like my analysis:

I think the Scheifele comparisons are fair as a ceiling, but I think Travis Zajac might end up being the best comparison - rangy responsible player who reads the play well and can create offense, but will probably need a speedy / skilled winger to help him reach 1C status. I think his low end projection would be a Nick Bonino type.

Glass is the type of player that is very hard to project because a) he's not as physically mature as most top picks IMO and b) his ability to overcome his main weakness will be heavily dependent on his personal work ethic and dedication. That last one is hard to nail down unless you've had the chance to sit down and talk with him and past coaches / teammates. You need to have a good sense of his work ethic off the ice to gauge if he can improve his skating enough to be a consistent scoring threat at the next level.

I think he might have the best raw toolset of all the top prospects. Hr checks all the boxes in areas that can't be easily taught or improved upon with hard work. He's a very quick and deliberate decision maker, he's got a great nose for the puck around the net, he goes to scoring areas, he competes in both ends, and he sees the ice very well. For such a talented playmaker, he plays a surprisingly 'mistake free' game, rare to see at this age.

But his skating deficiencies will require lots of hard work over the next few years to become a top line player - look at guys like Scheifele, Horvat, and Tavares, who had question marks about their skating but put in the work to turn that weakness into a strength. If I had the confidence that he had that sort of commitment and work ethic, I'd have no hesitation in taking him with the 1st pick (especially considering Patrick isn't the best skater either, but is just more physically mature).

The thing with Glass' skating, is that there seems to potentially be a ton of room to improve the aspect he's most lacking in with it. That being, the explosiveness and acceleration. Once he gets going, it's not too bad. It's not really plagued by glaring mechanical issues. He just doesn't have the explosive, powerful acceleration you'd ideally want to see. But to me, it seems like a lot of that should naturally improve with Glass as he gets physically stronger.

You see him at the combine, and he's got these kind of comical little chicken legs right now.

cody-glass-does-the-long-jump-during-the-nhl-combine-at-harborcenter-picture-id691866070

It's not really surprising that he lacks explosive power in his skating. :laugh:

I don't think it's preposterous to suggest he's got a lot of room to add strength and power to his legs over the coming years. :laugh: Obviously that does require a good deal of commitment and work ethic. There's always the risk that he's naturally going to be a skinnier guy who struggles to add significant bulk to his frame, rather than just being a kid who grew quickly and has a lot of catching up to do. I lean toward the latter being more likely though.

He'll probably never be the most dynamic of skaters, but assuming he can start to add muscle to his frame in general, and especially with the focus on lower body strength and power typical of hockey training...i think some of those skating concerns with Glass will start to take care of themselves. And with the vision and anticipation to his game, he doesn't necessarily need to be the most dynamic skater on the ice. Just needs to improve enough for it to not be a major liability at the NHL level.

Robongo01

May 13, 2013
Vancouver
I dont have the chance to see him play..does he have a good work ethic?

Definitely. Hard worker on and off the ice.

He was on Vancouver radio, I think it was last week, and he admitted he had another year, at least, in Portland. He also said that his main goal is to hit the ground running in the NHL when he makes it. He wants to be a difference maker right away and he said that he will be one of the better players in the NHL and had a lot of conviction in the way he said it.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
I just posted this elsewhere, but for someone who remembers him, can someone compare Kris Beech from the '99 draft with Glass. They seem similar to me.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Good kid, hard working and has a balanced skill-set. Don't get the divisiveness on him. He seems decently safe with fairly high upside.

kooner91

Apr 13, 2014
Good kid, hard working and has a balanced skill-set. Don't get the divisiveness on him. He seems decently safe with fairly high upside.

He is for sure my pick along with Petersson. I think those 2 are the only forwards that can be difference makers the Canucks need up front.

If not, I wouldn't mind trading down to draft Lilgjren.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
The arizona fan that loves glass wont be happy but matt sekeres who was correct last year said we have glass slightly ahead of pettersson which I dont agree with like I didnt agree with juolevi over tkachuk.

So if glass is available sounds like hes going to van.

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
The arizona fan that loves glass wont be happy but matt sekeres who was correct last year said we have glass slightly ahead of pettersson which I dont agree with like I didnt agree with juolevi over tkachuk.

So if glass is available sounds like hes going to van.

I was also very disappointed last year when they passed on Tkachuk in order to pick Juolevi. Don't really see a similar thing happening with Glass vs Pettersson though. At least not picking Pettersson probably won't come back to haunt the Canucks straight away (if ever) like with Tkachuk who was more NHL-ready at the time than Pettersson is. Juolevi could still end up being a good player though.

It's fine preferring a player over another, though i have a hard time understanding Canucks-fans who would be straight up disappointed with Glass at 5. The guy can make great plays all over the ice and don't really have any significant weaknesses. And it's not like he's a finished product, i see room for improvement in the areas that he already excels at. Not to mention him growing into his frame.

I've felt heavily let down the times we have picked high the last couple of years with Virtanen and Juolevi. I don't really have a lot of good memories from the draft lately. But Glass would make me stoked. And with so many things pointing him towards Vancouver, i would honestly probably end up being devastated again if they don't pick him tonight. Even though there are a few players that i initially was ok with us picking at 5th besides Glass (and still is to an extent.) If Glass is already gone at 5 similar to Dubois last year, then that's another story, though i would probably imagine to myself what could've been.

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
I was also very disappointed last year when they passed on Tkachuk in order to pick Juolevi. Don't really see a similar thing happening with Glass vs Pettersson though. At least not picking Pettersson probably won't come back to haunt the Canucks straight away (if ever) like with Tkachuk who was more NHL-ready at the time than Pettersson is. Juolevi could still end up being a good player though.

It's fine preferring a player over another, though i have a hard time understanding Canucks-fans who would be straight up disappointed with Glass at 5. The guy can make great plays all over the ice and don't really have any significant weaknesses. And it's not like he's a finished product, i see room for improvement in the areas that he already excels at. Not to mention him growing into his frame.

I've felt heavily let down the times we have picked high the last couple of years with Virtanen and Juolevi. I don't really have a lot of good memories from the draft lately. But Glass would make me stoked. And with so many things pointing him towards Vancouver, i would honestly probably end up being devastated again if they don't pick him tonight. Even though there are a few players that i initially was ok with us picking at 5th besides Glass (and still is to an extent.) If Glass is already gone at 5 similar to Dubois last year, then that's another story, though i would probably imagine to myself what could've been.
Well, we held a poll on our boards to try and see if we could find a consensus of who Canucks fans wanted for our first two picks. There was no consensus at all after the second overall pick. Couldn't even draw out tiers really.

Basically there's going to be a great wailing and gnashing of teeth whoever we pick.

Personally, I'd be really happy with Glass.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Well, we held a poll on our boards to try and see if we could find a consensus of who Canucks fans wanted for our first two picks. There was no consensus at all after the second overall pick. Couldn't even draw out tiers really.

Basically there's going to be a great wailing and gnashing of teeth whoever we pick.

And, the funny part is, most of these fans will have never seen the players they're arguing over even play. Just like last year, when fans were up in arms over the Juolevi selection, while simultaneously Googling the guy to find out which team he played for.

Canucks will probably complain, no matter who we select...

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
Honestly, I wish the Canucks would draft Mittlestadt, I think he's going to be the best player from this draft not named Hischier or Patrick and he may end up being better than those guys as well. I really hope Virtanen can pull it together and become a good third line power forward and I think Juolevi ends up being a serviceable but not a top pairing defenseman. I'm not even sure Juolevi was the best d-man on his junior team.

Mediocre skating in today's league just is not going to get it done and I think Glass' skating need a lot of work to be an effective top 6 forward in the NHL. Not impossible but why take the guy with skating issues over the guy who has excellent size, is a plus skater and drips hockey IQ. I think Mittelstadt is the easy pick here.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Honestly, I wish the Canucks would draft Mittlestadt, I think he's going to be the best player from this draft not named Hischier or Patrick and he may end up being better than those guys as well. I really hope Virtanen can pull it together and become a good third line power forward and I think Juolevi ends up being a serviceable but not a top pairing defenseman. I'm not even sure Juolevi was the best d-man on his junior team.

Mediocre skating in today's league just is not going to get it done and I think Glass' skating need a lot of work to be an effective top 6 forward in the NHL. Not impossible but why take the guy with skating issues over the guy who has excellent size, is a plus skater and drips hockey IQ. I think Mittelstadt is the easy pick here.

If his skating needs a lot of work than Vilardi needs an entire overhaul.

and as a side note Craig Button did have Cody Glass as "Best in Class" in terms of skating.

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden

Well i guess the people who are on team Glass are the loudest then. I feel like wherever i turn, all i see are people spamming "PICK GLASS", especially on social media like twitter. I agree though like most that he probably isn't even 1 tier above anyone else that should be available at 5th, so "overreacting" over them not picking the player that i specifically want might seem silly. Unless they reach for someone who could have been picked outside the top10. But as i said, there's a few other players that i would be ok with, and 1 or 2 that could potentially grow on me. Still, would be nice to see my team draft the player i like the most for once with a high pick. As long as it ends up being the right pick.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

Its not like I want pettersson or I will be mad, I like vilardi and makar as well I just dont see that high of upside in glass or heiskanen. Everyone will have a preference. On the flip side you made it clear you like glass. We simply dont agree on him.

Its to soon to say if passing on pettersson or vilardi will haunt us or not, i never claimed passing on them would just that I would take them over glass, I also wanted nylander/ehlers over virtanen or ritchie and sergachev/keller over juolevi as well. Regardless every poster will have a preference and only time will tell who is right and who is wrong and wether we will regret the choice.

Well i guess the people who are on team Glass are the loudest then. I feel like wherever i turn, all i see are people spamming "PICK GLASS", especially on social media like twitter. I agree though like most that he probably isn't even 1 tier above anyone else that should be available at 5th, so "overreacting" over them not picking the player that i specifically want might seem silly. Unless they reach for someone who could have been picked outside the top10. But as i said, there's a few other players that i would be ok with, and 1 or 2 that could potentially grow on me. Still, would be nice to see my team draft the player i like the most for once with a high pick. As long as it ends up being the right pick.

This is accurate outside of our boards like usual the media and in turn many fans are also picking glass because they hear buttons sound bytes about him being scheifele or johansen and the canucks media saying his skating is far better then vilardi while ignoring other facets. It makes me cringe and something i dont agree with either. Last year when he claimed logan brown reminded him of thornton he was that good the media and fans got wind of this and fanfare for brown also picked up. It drives me crazy how easily influenced our fans are by these sounds bytes.

Oddly though I think the tsn1040 poll today makar is winning by a landslide, dont think he drops to us though.

Last edited:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
And, the funny part is, most of these fans will have never seen the players they're arguing over even play. Just like last year, when fans were up in arms over the Juolevi selection, while simultaneously Googling the guy to find out which team he played for.

Canucks will probably complain, no matter who we select...

Which would be a sad indictment of Juoelvi considering many Canuck fans watched London at the Mem Cup to get a better sense of Tkachuk's skating and whether he was a worthwhile pick at 5 if PLD were to go before we picked.

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
Its not like I want pettersson or I will be mad, I like vilardi and makar as well I just dont see that high of upside in glass or heiskanen. Everyone will have a preference. On the flip side you made it clear you like glass. We simply dont agree on him.

Its to soon to say if passing on pettersson or vilardi will haunt us or not, i never claimed passing on them would just that I would take them over glass, I also wanted nylander/ehlers over virtanen or ritchie and sergachev/keller over juolevi as well. Regardless every poster will have a preference and only time will tell who is right and who is wrong and wether we will regret the choice.
As i said, preferring 1 player over another is fine. It's just that i have a hard time figuring out why some people feel the way they do about Glass, and im interested to know why they feel that way.

People obviously have different opinions, but some claim that they came away unimpressed after watching Glass. Im not too sure what they weren't impressed about or what their expectations were before watching him. I think a lot of people (not everyone) doesn't favor him because he just isn't the flashiest of players. Mittelstadt, Pettersson and Makar to mention a few are all considered flashier players. And because Glass isn't flashy constantly showing off his toolbox, that means his offensive ceiling = low. Personally i see a guy who is always in the right place, a guy who makes players around him better and someone who sees the ice really well. To just mention a few things, and these are all great traits.

Again, i would be very interested in hearing why some people have concerns about Glass and his upside. Im just curious. Would love to hear arguments for it and not just "I just don't like him". Maybe then i would be able to view him in a slightly different way than i am now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad