C Cody Glass - Portland Winterhawks, WHL (2017, 6th, VGK)

Cenzhin

Mar 2, 2018
Calgary
Glass should be in the AHL, not NHL. Brannstrom is also fine playing top pair i the AHL vs bottom pair NHL. They will get there, it isn’t a sprint
Glass cannot play in the AHL due to the NHL-CHL agreement and the fact he is a '99 birthday.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Glass cannot play in the AHL due to the NHL-CHL agreement and the fact he is a '99 birthday.

I know the NHL-CHL rules. I am saying skillwise he should be in the AHL just like some others before him. He will dominate the WHL, but I think he would learn more in the AHL

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Its so obvious that Cody Glass is a pro level ready player and is playing in a wrong league, completely destroying WHL this season.
Vegas has made two giant blunders this season; sending Cody Glass to the WHL and sending Erik Brännström to the AHL.
- also...even its probably too early, but nevertheless, i'm pretty sure signing Stastny was a huge mistake as well, he has been utter trash,
i was shocked when i heard the news about Stastny signing, why would team that is partly known about speed would sign a player
in his after years who can't skate

I predicted before the season that both Glass&Brännström would start the season in the NHL but i guess their staff saw it differently.

Glass has played 6 games so far with almost 3.00 ppg avg.
This is a lot of premature hot takery

1st off: Stastny has played in THREE games. Not everyone was up and running with VGK in the first three games right out of the gate last year. It's way too early to judge him.

2cd: Brannstrom may be better than Merrill and he may have a ton of offensive talent, but he was really struggling at defending man to man as the preseason wore on. There are rough spots in his game that need AHL conditioning.

3rd: its been said but Glass could not be sent to the AHL and Vegas wasn't going to hamper his development by having him get weaker minutes in the bottom 6.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
This is a lot of premature hot takery

1st off: Stastny has played in THREE games. Not everyone was up and running with VGK in the first three games right out of the gate last year. It's way too early to judge him.

2cd: Brannstrom may be better than Merrill and he may have a ton of offensive talent, but he was really struggling at defending man to man as the preseason wore on. There are rough spots in his game that need AHL conditioning.

3rd: its been said but Glass could not be sent to the AHL and Vegas wasn't going to hamper his development by having him get weaker minutes in the bottom 6.

That might be somewhat true, however...Knights are 1 and 3, they look slow compared to last season,
not creating enough high quality scoring chances either, like they did last season. What they need at the moment
is more speed and more offence,the defense comes later when the injured/suspended players come back,
they need to win games now,they can't win games with Stastny,Merrill,Carrier,Lindberg, Gallant should know this.

McNabb was good last season, but this season he has been super slow and poor in own end
You guys should call up Brännström,Hyka and bring in Bischoff, BTW. is it possible to call up Glass from the WHL?
if so call him up and put him to the line up as well.

Here's my hypothetical line up: (without the injured/suspended)

Marchessault-Karlsson-Smith
Pacioretty-Haula-Hyka
Nosek-Eakin-Glass
Carpenter-Bellemare-Reaves

Theodore-Miller
Brännström-Engelland
Bischoff-Holden

Fleury

That line up would have tons of speed,
forwards+defense counted for, it would have grit
spit and spirit, not to mention lots of scoring ability as well.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
With Schmidt&Tuch

Marchessault-Karlsson-Smith
Pacioretty-Haula-Tuch
Nosek-Eakin-Glass
Hyka-Bellemare-Reaves

Schmidt-Miller
Theodore-Engelland
Brännström-Holden

Fleury

- honestly, i wouldn't bring Paul Stastny back to the line up,
he might be great asset in the play-offs due to his experience
and the fact he was really good last season, but otherwise...
just another Tatar -> super bad choice by GMGM.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Its so obvious that Cody Glass is a pro level ready player and is playing in a wrong league, completely destroying WHL this season.
Vegas has made two giant blunders this season; sending Cody Glass to the WHL and sending Erik Brännström to the AHL.
- also...even its probably too early, but nevertheless, i'm pretty sure signing Stastny was a huge mistake as well, he has been utter trash,
i was shocked when i heard the news about Stastny signing, why would team that is partly known about speed would sign a player
in his after years who can't skate

I predicted before the season that both Glass&Brännström would start the season in the NHL but i guess their staff saw it differently.

Glass has played 6 games so far with almost 3.00 ppg avg.

calm down stats watcher. It's not obvious when you see him.

Glass needs to fill out. He was dominant at the rookie tournament, but quiet against grown men in preseason. Not to mention he was injured through most of camp so he barely had a chance to make the roster. Let him win gold at the WJC and dominate in the playoffs. No player has ever been ruined by another year of junior, and he's not burning off a year of ELC to play limited minutes.

Stastny has been their best forward in the first 3 games.

Also looking forward to you bumping the Hague thread when he scores his first AHL goal...

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Haven’t caught any Portland games yet, but looks like Glass is destroying this year. For those watching him, does it seem like he’s taken a big step forward? If so, in what way?

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Haven’t caught any Portland games yet, but looks like Glass is destroying this year. For those watching him, does it seem like he’s taken a big step forward? If so, in what way?
Glass looks a lot better now than Steel did when he had his monster season. While his teammates aren’t anything special, Glass makes the level of competition look too low for him on a frequent basis. At this point, he’s pretty much faster, bigger, and stronger than everyone he’s playing against. Tab that onto his established high-end skill and hockey sense and opposing teams really struggle to shut him down for any length of time.

That being said, I’m not saying that returning to the WHL was a bad decision by Vegas. He’s being forced to work hard to overcome concerted defensive efforts and make a lot of things happen on his own, while being put in a situation that guarantees he will have the puck a lot. I look forward to seeing what he can do in the WJC. While his coolness under pressure is one of his best attributes, I’d like to see him play with more passion and urgency against higher-level opposition.

Reactions: ponder

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Glass looks a lot better now than Steel did when he had his monster season. While his teammates aren’t anything special, Glass makes the level of competition look too low for him on a frequent basis. At this point, he’s pretty much faster, bigger, and stronger than everyone he’s playing against. Tab that onto his established high-end skill and hockey sense and opposing teams really struggle to shut him down for any length of time.

That being said, I’m not saying that returning to the WHL was a bad decision by Vegas. He’s being forced to work hard to overcome concerted defensive efforts and make a lot of things happen on his own, while being put in a situation that guarantees he will have the puck a lot. I look forward to seeing what he can do in the WJC. While his coolness under pressure is one of his best attributes, I’d like to see him play with more passion and urgency against higher-level opposition.
Sweet, thanks for the update! Was very impressed watching Glass last season, if he’s progressed significantly he must be looking great out there. Excited to watch him during the WJCs too.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I was at the Winterhawks game last night, Cody Glass impressed me too much as he was practically the standout player on the ice for that game. I always liked Glass, but this game is where I totally noticed he improved a ton. I think he'll be a great player for a long time, as long as he stays healthy.

Vegas hit the jackpot here, no pun intended.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Hindsight 20 20 but....Knights should of not sent Glass back to juniors.
Haula&Statsny injured <- two key centers, Knights could/would of needed Glass.

5 point night for Cody (2+3).

11 goals, 40 assists, 51 points in just 24 games, +15 (2.15 ppg)
is 55% in the circle this season, which is a good sign.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Obviously too good player to play in the juniors, serves no purpose to his development...thou now gets to play in the WJC for the first time
so, i guess that's something.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
On a 15 game points streak; 8+25=32 (2.13) +14
Last 4 games face-offs stats: 42 / 68 ( almost 62% , 61.7 to be exact )

Really good numbers. Playing really good hockey.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Obviously too good player to play in the juniors, serves no purpose to his development...thou now gets to play in the WJC for the first time
so, i guess that's something.

No players had their growth stunted from an extra year in junior, however many have had it crushed by playing in the NHL too early.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad