C Cody Glass - Portland Winterhawks, WHL (2017, 6th, VGK)

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I did some updates on Brannstrom from the Vegas camp and I figured I'd share how I felt about Glass.

I want to say part of what I saw was due to summertime conditioning and the camp really not meaning too much.

It was a bit of a mixed bag with Glass. I mean he stood out whenever he was on the ice but he was never really dangerous offensively the way guys like Suzuki, Kolesar, Brannstrom, and Tuch were.

But I did see plenty to like. Firstly the kid has some presence out there. It's clear he hasn't fully developed his game or his frame but he plays a lot older than he is. This comes mostly from his focus and vision. Whatever he was looking at he did so with laser like focus but he still made sure to be aware of every player on the ice, not just what was happening with the puck. Of all the players at the Vegas camp he showed the most offensive and defensive awareness. He clearly thinks the game at a higher level than his peers. I also liked his stance. His body was perpetually angled like he was always ready to pounce on the puck at any moment. Overall I got the sense that this guy is sure to make the NHL. I just couldn't get a read on his potential. He could either be a top line center who plays a very textbook clean game as a playmaker or serve as a very solid 2c.

I did like the defensive side of his game. Though in context it's hard to tell exactly how solid he'll be going forward. At least I can see he likes to forecheck aggressively and can use his stick checks well. He was the most efficient forward in camp at stealing the puck. Overall I was more impressed with his defensive game.

I liked what I saw but he's definitely gonna need some time to develop.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I did some updates on Brannstrom from the Vegas camp and I figured I'd share how I felt about Glass.

I want to say part of what I saw was due to summertime conditioning and the camp really not meaning too much.

It was a bit of a mixed bag with Glass. I mean he stood out whenever he was on the ice but he was never really dangerous offensively the way guys like Suzuki, Kolesar, Brannstrom, and Tuch were.

But I did see plenty to like. Firstly the kid has some presence out there. It's clear he hasn't fully developed his game or his frame but he plays a lot older than he is. This comes mostly from his focus and vision. Whatever he was looking at he did so with laser like focus but he still made sure to be aware of every player on the ice, not just what was happening with the puck. Of all the players at the Vegas camp he showed the most offensive and defensive awareness. He clearly thinks the game at a higher level than his peers. I also liked his stance. His body was perpetually angled like he was always ready to pounce on the puck at any moment. Overall I got the sense that this guy is sure to make the NHL. I just couldn't get a read on his potential. He could either be a top line center who plays a very textbook clean game as a playmaker or serve as a very solid 2c.

I did like the defensive side of his game. Though in context it's hard to tell exactly how solid he'll be going forward. At least I can see he likes to forecheck aggressively and can use his stick checks well. He was the most efficient forward in camp at stealing the puck. Overall I was more impressed with his defensive game.

I liked what I saw but he's definitely gonna need some time to develop.

This description literally sounds EXACTLY like Stepan

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
He's been tearing up the Dub since he's returned. He should be the #1 C for Canada at the WJC and wouldnt be surprised if he got some Olympic attention

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Vegas got two good ones in Glass and Suzuki. Both 10 points in 5 games so far. Wonder if they'll both be in the NHL next year.

I think Glass will for sure. He could have easily earned a 9 game look based on his preseason but there's no need to rush him.

Suzuki needs to bulk up a bit. He was a bit too easy to knock off the puck, maybe when he's 20.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Jost wont be there but even if he is Glass is better than both

Eh I think Jost would definentely get the spot over Glass due to the extra year of experience.

Steele would be a tough choice...again he has more experience, but Glass plays a more complete game imo. Regardless, he will be in the top 9 imo.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Glass continues to dominate with 2G+1A tonight in Portlands 6-2 W. Closing in on 2 ppg with 14G+27A in 22 games. Obviously should make team Canada and if they're smart he'll have a huge role with them

Auston mcdavid

Mar 10, 2018
Glass reminds me of mark Shefiele I honestly think he can be that good a dominant number one centre and he has that potential to be mark shefiele Even Craig button stated he can be that good he could have gone higher in the draft also

Reactions: Stive Morgan

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
very little talk on this kid of late - he has been something else to see when I have tuned in to see Jokiharju play - Glass is going to be a player next year for Vegas, and just another chip to their roster like they need it. he has a very high ceiling, and it won't be a glass ceiling either lol!

Reactions: Stive Morgan

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
He’s the best player on a contender this year. Would’ve been nice to see him suit up for the Wolves a couple games, but I’d take a Memorial Cup appearance over some AHL games.

Next year there is definitely a spot for the taking for Glass. You can buy out Eakin in the summer or burry him in the AHL and Glass could be the new 3C if he earns it.

He played quite terribly in the rookie tourney, but then played great in the pre-season for Vegas, while funnily enough, Suzuki did the exact opposite.

I think if it wasn’t for the sheer number of players Vegas had to evaluate, Glass would’ve got his 9 games because he earned it. His two-way game is good enough that he could be the 3C.

Assuming Neal and Perron stay, the 3rd line would be composed of Tatar-Glass-Tuch. That is an extremely good line on paper. Sniper / Playmaker / Power Forward.

Auston mcdavid

Mar 10, 2018
I’m talking about how Cody glass has the potential to be a star number one centre and that he could be a serious candidate for the Calder

Reactions: 99664987

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
He’s the best player on a contender this year. Would’ve been nice to see him suit up for the Wolves a couple games, but I’d take a Memorial Cup appearance over some AHL games.

Next year there is definitely a spot for the taking for Glass. You can buy out Eakin in the summer or burry him in the AHL and Glass could be the new 3C if he earns it.

He played quite terribly in the rookie tourney, but then played great in the pre-season for Vegas, while funnily enough, Suzuki did the exact opposite.

I think if it wasn’t for the sheer number of players Vegas had to evaluate, Glass would’ve got his 9 games because he earned it. His two-way game is good enough that he could be the 3C.

Assuming Neal and Perron stay, the 3rd line would be composed of Tatar-Glass-Tuch. That is an extremely good line on paper. Sniper / Playmaker / Power Forward.
Suzuki would fold under any competent defensive pressure and get pushed to the perimeter. That's my biggest concern with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad