C Alex Galchenyuk - Sarnia Sting, OHL (2012 draft) (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
But on the point of him being "given" 1st star, I just want to point out that it is fan voting that determines that, so no conspiracy on the part of the team.
And who counts the votes? Where were the voting machines made? Yeah, I think there is some hidden code in there with an executive override. :naughty:

But even conspiracy theories aside, it'd still show the same thing. Fans are excited by Galchenyuk, and the Habs organization wants the fans to be excited, so Galchenyuk is staying.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
And who counts the votes? Where were the voting machines made? Yeah, I think there is some hidden code in there with an executive override. :naughty:

But even conspiracy theories aside, it'd still show the same thing. Fans are excited by Galchenyuk, and the Habs organization wants the fans to be excited, so Galchenyuk is staying.

I heard when people clicked on Markov's box, the selection was put into Galchenyuk's box. :sarcasm:

The only reason to send him back to Sarnia is for him to get seasoning and learn more in the OHL. If there's nothing left to learn, the Habs should keep him up - this coming from someone that said from the start that he should get five games and be sent down. The whole "he's 18, in Montreal" concept is rubbish. Next year he's 19, big deal. Burning a year of his ELC. What if this year, him - and the signing of Subban, eventually - push this team to be a playoff team that can do some damage? I don't see that as burning a year.

Analyzer*

I heard when people clicked on Markov's box, the selection was put into Galchenyuk's box. :sarcasm:

The only reason to send him back to Sarnia is for him to get seasoning and learn more in the OHL. If there's nothing left to learn, the Habs should keep him up - this coming from someone that said from the start that he should get five games and be sent down. The whole "he's 18, in Montreal" concept is rubbish. Next year he's 19, big deal. Burning a year of his ELC. What if this year, him - and the signing of Subban, eventually - push this team to be a playoff team that can do some damage? I don't see that as burning a year.

My previous comment was sarcastic. Love this kid.

jhjhjhjhjhjh*

I think you're misreading this, he got the first star because of biased fans voting for the 3rd overall pick who had his first career goal.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

The way I see it, unless he's physically over matched, this short season basically serves as an extended training camp/preseason heading into next year for him.

The Habs can be alot more confident in giving Galchenyuk a bigger role next year if he stays the rest of this year....

jhjhjhjhjhjh*

One thing that's on my mind is will Eller play next game? I think we should try him with Patches and Cole, scratch DD for a game and see what they'll do together.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Montreal has a tradition of using 3 star system to make cheeky points since the game Maurice Richard got all 3 stars entered the club's lore. When they switched it to "fan voting" a season ago it signaled it was not to be taken seriously and be used (by the fans or org, who knows I am sure nobody cares too much about the integrity of the results) for making points about saluting players in the Roman arena manner instead of any kind of serious game analysis.

I agree with others that he seems to have outgrown the OHL. Whatever value of his extra minutes in the OHL lighting up 17 year olds who will never sniff being drafted holds and the character buiding of long bus rides around lake Huron must be weighed against the positives of stepping into pro-culture and daily practices with NHL players & coaches along with a fairly reasonable icetime of 10-15 minutes and PP time so far on the 3rd line. Worrying about ELC years is just chinzty small time and not a good reason to hold back NHL worthy talent in junior.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Seriously, who cares about the stars selection? Totally irrelevant.

The important thing with Galchenyuk (and the reason why he won't go back to the OHL...) is that he isn't a liability without the puck. His positioning and involvement are very good.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Seriously, who cares about the stars selection? Totally irrelevant.

The important thing with Galchenyuk (and the reason why he won't go back to the OHL...) is that he isn't a liability without the puck. His positioning and involvement are very good.

I'm torn. As much as I hate wasting a year of him when he's 18 and getting him closer to bridge contracts, UFA, etc., I have to admit I like what he adds so far. Better to have that skill level populating your top-9 than some plug.

The next three games will be critical. How does he handle tough D teams (Jersey), road games (Wash), etc?

And they need to keep in mind he's in mid-season form. So they need to account for how he'll look with less room late in the season. I'd still send him back.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I'm torn. As much as I hate wasting a year of him when he's 18 and getting him closer to bridge contracts, UFA, etc., I have to admit I like what he adds so far. Better to have that skill level populating your top-9 than some plug.

The next three games will be critical. How does he handle tough D teams (Jersey), road games (Wash), etc?

And they need to keep in mind he's in mid-season form. So they need to account for how he'll look with less room late in the season. I'd still send him back.

I'd rather keep him and let the GM worry about keeping long term. I think the whole wasting a year on a contract diatribe is grossly overblown anyway.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I'd rather keep him and let the GM worry about keeping long term. I think the whole wasting a year on a contract diatribe is grossly overblown anyway.

It depends on his contribution level. The GM has to gage whether or not someone else in the organization can provide roughly what he can at this point.

You know you're going to get at least 10 elite years out of the guy in the league, but he's not there yet. So do you chance using him in his non-elite years and potentially not having him as long during his peak? It's as simple as that.

Early returns are that he can still add to this team in ways other options can't.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
It depends on his contribution level. The GM has to gage whether or not someone else in the organization can provide roughly what he can at this point.

You know you're going to get at least 10 elite years out of the guy in the league, but he's not there yet. So do you chance using him in his non-elite years and potentially not having him as long during his peak? It's as simple as that.

Early returns are that he can still add to this team in ways other options can't.

I don't get your point. How does using him before his non-elite years mean not having him as long during his peak?

MrWilson*

He should stay in Montreal--they are invisible without him. The fans will come to see him, buy his jersey, etc etc. He's a marketers dream. His development will progress and it probably won't hurt the team.

Offensively, Montreal needs him. Defensively, he needs Montreal He won't get that kind of instruction or pressure to develop in Sarnia. Im not his biggest fan, but the OHL isn't the most defensive league in the world. Its the weakest part of his game and it will stay that way in Sarnia.

Plus, why risk an injury in the OHL when you can get a good short season out of him in the NHL?

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
He should stay in Montreal--they are invisible without him. The fans will come to see him, buy his jersey, etc etc. He's a marketers dream. His development will progress and it probably won't hurt the team.

Offensively, Montreal needs him. Defensively, he needs Montreal He won't get that kind of instruction or pressure to develop in Sarnia. Im not his biggest fan, but the OHL isn't the most defensive league in the world. Its the weakest part of his game and it will stay that way in Sarnia.

Plus, why risk an injury in the OHL when you can get a good short season out of him in the NHL?

What?:laugh:
With or without Galchenyuk the fans will still come to see the Habs play. What does the Habs are invisible without him even mean?

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
The best reason for keeping Galchenyuk with the Habs is simply that he's done at the junior level. If he could somehow play in the AHL or NCAA then there might be some good reasons to hold him back. As it is, 10 minutes a night in the NHL is going to help him get much better than simply dummying teenagers night after night.

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
Players like Galchenyuk, Nino, etc. is why the NHL needs to have an "exceptional player" policy that allows underage players to play in the AHL. Have a board that NHL teams can apply to have their players considered eligible to play in the AHL based on being dominant at a CHL level. This would allow players that don't have anything to learn in the CHL to make progression, without taking up an NHL roster spot or being thrown into a situation they weren't ready for.

KlattNazty

Feb 3, 2011
Players like Galchenyuk, Nino, etc. is why the NHL needs to have an "exceptional player" policy that allows underage players to play in the AHL. Have a board that NHL teams can apply to have their players considered eligible to play in the AHL based on being dominant at a CHL level. This would allow players that don't have anything to learn in the CHL to make progression, without taking up an NHL roster spot or being thrown into a situation they weren't ready for.

but its a business. the chl is in it to make money, and develop players.

they dont want to lose their stars any earlier than they have to

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
The CHL wouldn't be the top junior league in the world without these players. Young prospects get to play against top quality players and it helps their development.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
So any ideas if he will be sent down?

Your guess is as good as ours right now...He definitely hasn't looked out of place, but he hasn't blown the roof off either. He seems to be getting better each game, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
He needs a few more points if he's gonna stay up. I don't think 1 goal in 5 games would be enough reason to keep him.

Stats are not what keep you up in the big leagues. At least not the only thing anyway. Michel Therrien has said it numerous times, he likes Galchenyuk's work ethic and drive. I could see Bergevin sending him back if he looked out of place, step behind in the NHL's speed, or clearly overmatches. In those three cases, he hasn't. He's been good with and without the puck and if he can play the last two games of his five game stint like that, he'll be sticking around.

Of course, the quick fix of sending him down is re-inserting Eller into the line-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $10.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest