C Alex Galchenyuk - Sarnia Sting, OHL (2012 draft) (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
he's going to get sent back. there's not much for him to learn in the O but he's not insulated on a team with a thin top 6. he's not a winger nor should he play the wing. too much pressure for him to produce with gionta and plekanecs. unless they feel he can play 3rd line minutes and pp time.

You do know if/when he gets sent back to Sarnia, he'll be playing wing there too? Just like he played wing at the WJC.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
People have to remember that hockey is a very relative sport. i.e. You have to evaluate a player's game relative to his teammates. And in that regard, Galchenyuk was essentially fine.

It was clear the coaching staff had told him to keep it simple, not turn the puck over and, when in doubt, shoot. And he did that.

As a result of nerves and some lingering junior habits, a couple times he was tentative and got caught up ice waiting for the puck to come to him instead of going to battle for it, but that's very much to be expected for an 18-year-old in a home opener for his first ever NHL game.

Truth be told, it was simply uneventful, which is neither a big positive or negative. The most frustrating thing for Gally lovers and haters is that there really is no story here. Hopefully more is written Tuesday.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
People have to remember that hockey is a very relative sport. i.e. You have to evaluate a player's game relative to his teammates. And in that regard, Galchenyuk was essentially fine.

It was clear the coaching staff had told him to keep it simple, not turn the puck over and, when in doubt, shoot. And he did that.

As a result of nerves and some lingering junior habits, a couple times he was tentative and got caught up ice waiting for the puck to come to him instead of going to battle for it, but that's very much to be expected for an 18-year-old in a home opener for his first ever NHL game.

Truth be told, it was simply uneventful, which is neither a big positive or negative. The most frustrating thing for Gally lovers and haters is that there really is no story here. Hopefully more is written Tuesday.

Exactly there really is no story here.

I'm trying to keep my bias aside as I am a Leaf fan, he is still a bit afraid of the boards and had turnovers at the start of the game...but I don't know any 18 year old that doesn't do the exact the same thing.

He has one hell of a wrist shot and almost had a goal early in the game. I think he got better as the game progressed. The entire forward group of Montreal was downright terrible because the Leafs clogged up the neutral zone and barely gave them any chances to get a good shot on Scrivens.

Relative to the other forwards...he played a decent game. I'd still send him down after Game 5 though if I were Montreal. He could benefit by playing more than 10 minutes a game in Sarnia as he like Rielly has missed pretty much an entire year.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I'd still send him down after Game 5 though if I were Montreal. He could benefit by playing more than 10 minutes a game in Sarnia as he like Rielly has missed pretty much an entire year.

Definitely agree with you and I'd be shocked if he isn't returned to Sarnia after 5 games. For salary cap reasons, developmental reasons, etc. It's just the right thing to do.

The only reason to keep him that I can see is in some desperate attempt to distract home fans from what is surely to be another sub-par product.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Definitely agree with you and I'd be shocked if he isn't returned to Sarnia after 5 games. For salary cap reasons, developmental reasons, etc. It's just the right thing to do.

The only reason to keep him that I can see is in some desperate attempt to distract home fans from what is surely to be another sub-par product.

What sub par team? We have Alex Galchenyuk!!! :handclap: ;)

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
ITS ONE GAME! I've been labled a Galchenyuk hater for my wait and see attitude with him. But I saw some good things from him. NHL speed, NHL shot. He's been with the team for a week. He's going to have to adjust to the NHL. He can't just go all Harlem Globe Trotters like he does in the OHL. NHL hockey is regimented, you have to be where you are expected to be all the time. He's only been learning the system for a week. Let's not forget the whole team was complete garbage in that one game. Give him his 5 games. I bet he improves every game. He might still go back to the OHL because why burn a rookie year on his contract on a team that won't make the playoffs. I think he has a lot to build on.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Awesome. A lot of rookies getting their 1st goal in their 2nd games. Kinda cool lol.

Gally has my favourite celly after scoring his 1st goal of all the rookies so far this year.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
First star as well.
That was undeserved, of course. But it is something of a sign... the Habs are going to sell hard with this kid, he will be "given" 1st star to hype his 1st goal, just as he will be "given" a spot on the team, pretty much no matter how he plays. Now, I happen to think he is playing fine and is being used fine, and while it's early, is still fair game for "deserving" to be on the team anyway. But even if he doesn't continue to "deserve" it, he'll still be there. He's NOT going back to the OHL.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
That was undeserved, of course. But it is something of a sign... the Habs are going to sell hard with this kid, he will be "given" 1st star to hype his 1st goal, just as he will be "given" a spot on the team, pretty much no matter how he plays. Now, I happen to think he is playing fine and is being used fine, and while it's early, is still fair game for "deserving" to be on the team anyway. But even if he doesn't continue to "deserve" it, he'll still be there. He's NOT going back to the OHL.

I do agree with you on the star thing. He was good last night, but 1st star was absolutely Markov, followed by a few others (Price, Pacioretty, Plekanec, Diaz, etc.) who had more impact.

But on the point of him being "given" 1st star, I just want to point out that it is fan voting that determines that, so no conspiracy on the part of the team.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Exactly there really is no story here.

I'm trying to keep my bias aside as I am a Leaf fan, he is still a bit afraid of the boards and had turnovers at the start of the game...but I don't know any 18 year old that doesn't do the exact the same thing.

He has one hell of a wrist shot and almost had a goal early in the game. I think he got better as the game progressed. The entire forward group of Montreal was downright terrible because the Leafs clogged up the neutral zone and barely gave them any chances to get a good shot on Scrivens.

Relative to the other forwards...he played a decent game. I'd still send him down after Game 5 though if I were Montreal. He could benefit by playing more than 10 minutes a game in Sarnia as he like Rielly has missed pretty much an entire year.

What else is there to learn for him in Sarnia? So is it only for playing time? 22 minutes in Sarnia or 11 minutes at the NHL level? Honestly I don't think there is much for him to learn down there, which ever decision the Habs take i'll be alright with it but I don't think playing a couple minutes more at the Junior level is going to make a big difference right now for him

Analyzer*

First goal/point from the 2012 draft goes to Galchenyuk. :D

Took him 2 games.

Terrible pick and terrible draft class.

He seemed much more involved in the play in his 2nd game. Not sure if he's nerves were calmed, or just playing centre helped.

jhjhjhjhjhjh*

It's the fans who vote for the stars so no wonder.

jhjhjhjhjhjh*

Took him 2 games.

Terrible pick and terrible draft class.

He seemed much more involved in the play in his 2nd game. Not sure if he's nerves were calmed, or just playing centre helped.

Sure, judge a draft class this early in the season, usually you get a good look at how good a draft class is 5 years after the draft.

jhjhjhjhjhjh*

Major overreaction from the fans for that first goal, most people on the habs facebook page were saying how he was better than Nail... how dumb must you be?

Edit: He could be better than Yakupov in the long run but it's too early now. I hate these kinds of fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino