C Alex Galchenyuk - Sarnia Sting, OHL (2012 draft) (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
timthumb.php

Alex Galchenyuk
C / LHS | 6'1" / 198
12-Feb-94, Milwaukee WI
Sarnia Sting, OHL

Rankings:
CSS Mid: - | Final: 4
TSN Mid: 7 | Final: tbd

Stats:
PHP:
                                            --- Regular Season ---  ---- Playoffs ----
Season   Team                        Lge    GP    G    A  Pts  PIM  GP   G   A Pts PIM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2009-10  Chicago Young Americans   MWEHL    38   44   43   87   56  --  --  --  --  --
2010-11  Sarnia Sting                OHL    68   31   52   83   52  --  --  --  --  --
2011-12  Team USA                  Hlinka    5    2    2    4   --  --  --  --  --  --
2011-12  Sarnia Sting                OHL     2    0    0    0    0   6    2    2    4

[FIELDSET="Grant McCagg"]
TSN Mid Review
His Belarusian-born father played pro hockey for 24 years on 18 different teams and in more than a dozen leagues, so Milwaukee-born son Alex has been well travelled. Has missed the entire OHL season with a torn ACL he suffered during an OHL exhibition game in mid-September. He had scouts drooling last season with 83 points as an OHL rookie at 16.

Galchenyuk_star_photo1422.jpg

Strengths: A big, power-forward type winger with soft hands who is good along the wall, has soft hands and can shoot the puck.

Weaknesses: He has missed his entire draft year with a knee injury, so there has been a decided lack of exposure. Teams may be concerned with how he bounces back from the injury.

NHL upside: has the size and skill to be a top two centre if he recovers fully from missing an entire season.[/FIELDSET]

Top prospect Galchenyuk to undergo ACL surgery | Monday, 10.24.2011
Sarnia Sting center Alex Galchenyuk, a highly-touted 2012 draft prospect from the Ontario Hockey League, will be sidelined indefinitely after the team announced on Monday he'll undergo surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament.

Jacques Beaulieu, Sarnia Sting GM & Coach: "Unfortunately injuries like this are a part of the game. Our thoughts are solely with Alex at this time as this was very difficult news to receive. We will be providing Alex with the best care possible as he begins his rehab towards getting back on the ice. We are very hopeful Alex will be back in the lineup towards the end of the regular season."​

Injured Galchenyuk still considered top talent | Wednesday, 01.11.2012

Dan Marr, Director of NHL Central Scouting: "One element for Galchenyuk is the fact he played last year, and going into this season he was already recognized as one of the top prospects. I think most of the teams are pretty comfortable in knowing the type of player they'll be getting. Obviously you'd like to see him play during his draft year, but the scouts and general managers are going to be more concerned with how the surgery went, what type of surgery it was and how the recovery process is going along."

Chris Edwards, CSS OHL Scout: "Where he goes in the draft is going to depend how well he recovers from (his injury). It's going to make the Combine that much more important when the doctors look at him. My guess is he'll bring the MRI results to the Combine in order to have doctors make their evaluations. As long as it's not career-ending, I really can't see it affecting him that much. He's too good a player."

Igor Larionov, agent for both Alex Galchenyuk and Nail Yakupov: "Alex is like a conductor; he's a guy who can control the game and makes really good decisions. But (Galchenyuk and Yakupov) are both special. They play in the defensive end as well, so they're not just one-dimensional."

Galchenyuk, whose father, Alex Sr., played for Belarus at the 1998 Winter Games in Nagano, was born in Milwaukee during a time when his father played for the Milwaukee Admirals of the International Hockey League. Galchenyuk, who draws comparisons to Chicago's Marian Hossa, has lived in Germany, Switzerland, Italy and Russia, and speaks Italian, Russian and English.

The younger Galchenyuk holds dual U.S. and Russian citizenship, but played for Team USA at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament over the summer. He also was invited to the NHL Research, Development and Orientation Camp in August.​

Alex Galchenyuk's season debut impresses scout [after long recovery] | Thursday, 03.15.2012:
Al Jenson, CSS: "Despite the loss, I could certainly see the high-end talent that Galchenyuk has. His shifts during the game were limited and very short as was to be expected. He's an excellent skater, very strong strides. He didn't get any chances but handled the puck well with confidence and made a couple of nice passes. He's got great hands overall for a player that has missed so much time this year with the injury. It looks very promising for him moving forward -- he's an excellent prospect."

Galchenyuk: "It was strange being on the ice for the anthems. Last year I played all 68 games and didn't even miss a single practice. Most of this season, I was in the press box listening to the anthem. Now I'm standing in skates on the ice. It was a pretty cool experience. Just thinking about trying to get here, waiting for this moment -- it was pretty special. I got a real nice reaction from the fans when my name was announced for the starting lineup. It was pretty loud and I really appreciated that."

Jacques Beaulieu, Sarnia GM & coach: "We knew it was going to be tough on him. The game is going 100 miles an hour and he's going about 50 miles per hour. He's got to get used to the pace of the game and the systems. But we know he's a good player and he will adjust."

Someone on the habs board just posted that Galch has been left off the U.S u18 roster.

http://usahockey.cachefly.net/NTDP/2012_U18WMC_Roster.pdf

I've put together a list of players who had a torn ACL, with their age when the injury happened indicated:

Recovered nicely and went on to re-find his form or become a quality player

Evgeni Malkin (Age 24)
Niklas Kronwall (Age 24)
Justin Williams (Tore his left ACL twice – age 21 and age 26)
Johan Franzen (Age 29)
James Wisniewski (Tore his right ACL three times – age 18, age 23, age 24)
Josh Gorges (Age 18 – played with it for 8 years)
Jared Cowen (Age 18)
François Beauchemin (Age 28)
Milan Michalek (tore right ACL at age 18 and tore his left ACL at age 25)
Erik Johnson (Age 20 – although you could argue he was better as a rookie than now)
Josh Harding (Age 26)
Dany Heatley (Age 22)
Marian Hossa (Age 19)
Todd Bertuzzi (Age 24)
Jeremy Roenick (Age 25)
Michal Handzus (Age 29 - had 2 more good years)
Daniel Alfredsson (Age 35 – not 100% sure this was a total tear though)
Pavel Bure (Age 24)
Andrew Brunette (Age 35 – 2 more solid years after)

Decline after the injury but still solid or good

Saku Koivu (Age 22 - was leading league in scoring, still a real good player after)
Michael Peca (Age 28)

Major decline after the injury

Alex Kovalev (Age 37 - was close to done anyway)
Marco Sturm (Age 31 – was already on the decline when he suffered it)
Brenden Morrow (Age 29)
Marek Svatos (Age 25 - already on the decline when he suffered it)
Derian Hatcher (Age 31 – the new NHL basically killed his career)
Scottie Upshall (Age 26 - was having nice 2009-10 before injury, not the same since)
Brendan Morrison (Age 32 - was already on the decline)

To be determined

Andrei Markov (Age 31 - unique case with 2 torn ACLs in a 6 month span, was starting to look his old self as the season ended)

Hossa, Michalek, Cowen, Wisniewski and Gorges were considered prospects when they were injured.

In short, the success ratio for players 25 and under coming back from a torn ACL and being a quality player again is EXTREMELY good.

Previous thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=881404

Last edited:

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Seems like a really high risk pick for top 5 IMO. Not being able to see him at all in his draft year? Extrapolating results from the year prior?

I'm just saying we've seen guys like Brule or Esposito, even Latendresse ( I think he was 2 years prior) that were supposed to go really high the year before the draft and in their draft year their play dropped off for whatever reason.

I know Habs fans are drooling over this kid but I really see him falling a bit because of his lack of exposure this year. The knee injury - I don't think thats a big deal. I think he'll be fine, it's just the crucial lost year of development and exposure at his age.

I think he'll slide to 5-6 or even a bit later and then be considered the "steal" of the draft, 2 days after its over. :laugh:

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Brule's play did not drop in his draft year (70 GP and 1.24 PPG in 2004-05, up from 0.9 PPG in his first full WHL season in 2003-04). Or the year after that in the WHL once he returned from a stint in Columbus to start the year (1.41 PPG in regular season, 1.67 PPG in the playoffs).

Latendresse played 65 games in his draft year (2004-05) and had a 1.20 PPG after a 0.92 PPG as a rookie in 2003-04.

Esposito is the only one who dropped in his draft year of those 3, from a 1.72 PPG in 2005-06 while playing with a dominant 19 year old Radulov to a 1.32 PPG in 2006-07 (his draft year).

I really don't understand why those 3 are being compared to Galchenyuk...those 3 players all played pretty close to full seasons in their draft year and the previous season too (Esposito and Latendresse missed around 13-15 games as 16 year olds).

Last edited:

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Brule's play did not drop in his draft year (70 GP and 1.24 PPG in 2004-05, up from 0.9 PPG in his first full WHL season in 2003-04). Or the year after that in the WHL once he returned from a stint in Columbus to start the year (1.41 PPG in regular season, 1.67 PPG in the playoffs).

Latendresse played 65 games in his draft year (2004-05) and had a 1.20 PPG after a 0.92 PPG as a rookie in 2003-04.

Esposito is the only one who dropped in his draft year of those 3, from a 1.72 PPG in 2005-06 while playing with a dominant 19 year old Radulov to a 1.32 PPG in 2006-07 (his draft year).

I really don't understand why those 3 are being compared to Galchenyuk...those 3 players all played pretty close to full seasons in their draft year and the previous season too (Esposito and Latendresse missed around 13-15 games as 16 year olds).

Forgive my ignorance, I just remember those guys as highly touted 16 year olds that didn't necessarily turn out as planned. I had just assumed that since both dropped in *projected* draft position that their play had dropped off.

I still think a year of missed development as a 17 year old is a very high risk. We can assume that Galchenyuk would have gotten better this year, but its' not a certainty.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Seems like a really high risk pick for top 5 IMO. Not being able to see him at all in his draft year? Extrapolating results from the year prior?

I'm just saying we've seen guys like Brule or Esposito, even Latendresse ( I think he was 2 years prior) that were supposed to go really high the year before the draft and in their draft year their play dropped off for whatever reason.

I know Habs fans are drooling over this kid but I really see him falling a bit because of his lack of exposure this year. The knee injury - I don't think thats a big deal. I think he'll be fine, it's just the crucial lost year of development and exposure at his age.

I think he'll slide to 5-6 or even a bit later and then be considered the "steal" of the draft, 2 days after its over. :laugh:

He will go in the top 4.

Analyzer*

It wouldn't shock me to see either Galchenyuk or Grigorenko fall out of the top 5, to be honest. I don't think anything is set in stone at this year's draft.

Nothing is ever set in stone.

No one expected Fowler and Gormley to fall. Players rise, players fall. Normally, 1-3 is set. This year, I'm not even certain number 1 is set.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
Nothing is ever set in stone.

No one expected Fowler and Gormley to fall. Players rise, players fall. Normally, 1-3 is set. This year, I'm not even certain number 1 is set.

This is what I was trying to get at. I wouldn't be surprised if EDM traded out of #1.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Opps I ment Sarnia

I AM from Sarnia. He played C except for a few games this year after he hurt his shoulder

Yakupov played more with Yakupov last year (not all the time though). This season (in their limited games together) they only played together if Sarnia was looking for a G

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
I AM from Sarnia. He played C except for a few games this year after he hurt his shoulder

Yakupov played more with Yakupov last year (not all the time though). This season (in their limited games together) they only played together if Sarnia was looking for a G

Does Yakupov have a twin brother. I want both:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad