C Alex Galchenyuk - Sarnia Sting, OHL (2012 draft) (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
So apparently he wasn't allowed to play in the U-18 anyway:

Mark Glavin ‏ @Glav75
Nice to watch Can/US U18 on a Friday aft...its a shame @AGally94 is in a car on his way back from Fla and not playing in this game...

Alex galchenyuk ‏ @AGally94
@Glav75 glav I wasn't allowed to play iihf rules

Mark Glavin is the Sting assistant GM for those wondering.

Now this pretty much means he can't play at the next WJC for Team USA, right?

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Christ almighty, certain HF posters have exercised more due diligence on his eligibility than USA Hockey or Galchenyuk himself has. Well done USA Hockey.:facepalm:

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
So apparently he wasn't allowed to play in the U-18 anyway:

Mark Glavin ‏ @Glav75
Nice to watch Can/US U18 on a Friday aft...its a shame @AGally94 is in a car on his way back from Fla and not playing in this game...

Alex galchenyuk ‏ @AGally94
@Glav75 glav I wasn't allowed to play iihf rules

Mark Glavin is the Sting assistant GM for those wondering.

Now this pretty much means he can't play at the next WJC for Team USA, right?

It's basically over. Now the question is if he ever plays for anybody, considering how he shunned the Russian program. Curious whether they got over that.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Lol if he does that and plays for Canada, that would be a huge FU to US Hockey when he is lighting them up for years to come.

I suppose, but it's not like he has a choice to play for the US really. I'm guessing that it's a fairly simple issue, after he's drafted, Galchenyuk accepts the invite this winter for Russia's WJC team.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I suppose, but it's not like he has a choice to play for the US really. I'm guessing that it's a fairly simple issue, after he's drafted, Galchenyuk accepts the invite this winter for Russia's WJC team.

I don't think it's simple at all. I still want to know how the U.S. was able to place Galchenyuk on their U18 entry list if he's not-eligible. I also don't think it's a simple to thing to suggest he would suit up for Russia. There is some acrimony between him and the Russian Hockey Federation. At the end of the day, Galchenyuk might be a guy who doesn't suit up in an IIHF event for quite some time (hopefully he gets drafted by a U.S. based team).

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
I don't think it's simple at all. I still want to know how the U.S. was able to place Galchenyuk on their U18 entry list if he's not-eligible. I also don't think it's a simple to thing to suggest he would suit up for Russia. There is some acrimony between him and the Russian Hockey Federation. At the end of the day, Galchenyuk might be a guy who doesn't suit up in an IIHF event for quite some time (hopefully he gets drafted by a U.S. based team).
Well, they didn't place Galchenyuk on their entry list.
They had someone by the name of "Galtchenyuk", though. ;)

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

Well according to Galchenyuk himself, he wasn't eligible to play for the US. I'm not sure he'd be eligible for Canada either, even if he got citizenship, since the wording of the IIHF (well it's not like the wording matters anyway since they seem to do what ever they want) might be interpreted as saying he needs to play two years in the country WHILE he is a citizen, not before.

Maybe you are right, maybe he just gives up international competition. Shame.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
It's possible his legendary agent, Igor Larionov would be able to pull some strings within the Russian Ice Hockey Federation to pacify any executives still holding a grudge against Galchenyuk.
The Russian Hockey Federation has next to zero involvement in this entire matter and couldn't "permit" Galchenyuk to play for the United States even if they wanted to. An appeal to the IIHF must be launched.

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
The Russian Hockey Federation has next to zero involvement in this entire matter and couldn't "permit" Galchenyuk to play for the United States even if they wanted to. An appeal to the IIHF must be launched.

Understood. My point was about the possible resistance from the Russians with regard to Galy requesting to later play for Russia. My bad -- I should've quoted the post below in my reply:

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
It's possible his legendary agent, Igor Larionov would be able to pull some strings within the Russian Ice Hockey Federation to pacify any executives still holding a grudge against Galchenyuk.

He is rumored to be the one who pushed him towards the US.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

I doubt the Russian Hockey Federation itself has anything against Galchenyuk. It was the coach at the Ivan Hlinka who took strong issue with him playing for USA, and made it be known.
I think Galchenyuk is holding a grudge over that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark