Player Discussion: Byfuglien - Managing the asset

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Yeah, Pens have shown multiple videos of buff to Letang of how he should defend

The sooner you accept that Rod Langway retired years ago, the better. Defensive players are offensive catalysts whether you like it or not, not all players need to fit the same profile. Players like Buff and Letang add dimensions to their teams that you clearly don't appreciate, that doesn't lessen them however.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Letang is a tirefire defensively and is supremely injury prone. The guy had a stroke and multiple concussions at the time of the deal. Also recently had a fractured neck.

Seabrook is garbage and signed until 40. Dion isn't a stall worth either.

I give you Burns but burns at 8M until 40...not sure about that.

Exactly, which is why the Buff deal represents a discount for the Jets based on term. The last 2-3 years of Buff on a 7-8 year deal would not have been pretty. I'm a Buff fan and even I shuddered at that prospect.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Yeah, Pens have shown multiple videos of buff to Letang of how he should defend
And I'm sure jets fans can show multiple videos of buff vs letang on how letang should defend too. Letang is an extraordinary player but giving a guy like him that contract is very risky because of the length.

But it sounds like u got Ur mind made up. The fact that you said Seabrook/Phaneuf is comparable to Buff is laughable.

Reactions: Jets 31

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
What does this even mean? Try making sense instead of just not liking Buff, it will help.
Uh it makes perfect sense if you can read between the lines, please and thank you as that would really help! It means if he retires after 5 years he has a longer retirement to explore his favorite hobby? What is that? Ding ding fishing.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
And I'm sure jets fans can show multiple videos of buff vs letang on how letang should defend too. Letang is an extraordinary player but giving a guy like him that contract is very risky because of the length.

But it sounds like u got Ur mind made up. The fact that you said Seabrook/Phaneuf is comparable to Buff is laughable.
Letang has several championship rings so does Seabrook. Buff may have one from his beginning of his career about an eon ago when he played forward.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
An extra 7Mill per year for 3 more years vs fishing... Hmmm
having to put in a day's work of labour for that million. No better to just get more more upfront than have to actually get out of bed when you don't want to and not be lazy. Especially when he has to acknowledge he is no longer playing top minutes which we saw how happy that made him not playing the last 30 seconds.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
All my point was is that Buff is the only recent contract where he did not offer a hometown discount. I mean, how much more could Perrault and Little have got if they demanded their full amount. They also did not go crazy with term and ask for 7+ years.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Uh it makes perfect sense if you can read between the lines, please and thank you as that would really help! It means if he retires after 5 years he has a longer retirement to explore his favorite hobby? What is that? Ding ding fishing.
Ok, but do you have a point at all?

The one above doesn't quite qualify.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
All my point was is that Buff is the only recent contract where he did not offer a hometown discount. I mean, how much more could Perrault and Little have got if they demanded their full amount. They also did not go crazy with term and ask for 7+ years.

The total value of Buff's contract is 38 mil. He probably could have got 10-12 mil more over 7-8 years. That's a discount - in dollars.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Ducky10

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Ok, but do you have a point at all?

The one above doesn't quite qualify.
Don't remember the vote where you voted chief judge maker of what is and isn't a point. By the way way to show your support for Buff by making Chef your avatar. A player that took a team friendly deal.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
I just don't think a championship team has a guy like Buff who takes off so much play lazily. I love the man, I think he's a figurehead of the Jets 2.0, but I want a championship not a figurehead. Trade him at the deadline and get a reliable roster player to replace him, and use the cap space to keep rest of the team in tact.

Reactions: upperdeckjet

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I think the lazy angle on Buff has always been a weak one. Buff's issue isn't being lazy, it's shift length, he needs to be more responsible with it and I'd like to see him improve it.

If there is one thing that drives Maurice the craziest about Buff, it's his shift length imo.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think the lazy angle on Buff has always been a weak one. Buff's issue isn't being lazy, it's shift length, he needs to be more responsible with it and I'd like to see him improve it.

If there is one thing that drives Maurice the craziest about Buff, it's his shift length imo.
That plus he is always last and first off the ice in practice. I mean I want Nhlers to always want to work hard in their own time to be the best. But in games he's not usually lazy and I agree about shift length.

Male75FromFinland

Aug 5, 2010
This has to stop!!! Last game he started game with stupid pinch and penalty. On power play he cant move the puck fast and cant make accurate sharp passes. He cant play on penalty kill. Even strength he CREATED about 20 scoring opportunities for Canucks. His last shift with under 5 minutes left with Jets up by a goal decided to pinch and it led to Connor penalty. He led all Jets with ice time?????????

After game whole team was super happy about the victory, except him who was like somebody had died.

You can have any opinion about his value around league but only way to get rid of him is buy out his contract, and I am afraid that is not going to happen. No team is willing to take him with that contract.

With that contract new team would expect him to be go to guy and number one defenseman, so lets see.......

Arizona has Ekman-Larsson so NO
Anaheim has Fowler & Lindholm so NO
Boston has McAvoy so NO
Buffalo has Ristolainen so NO
Calgary has Hamilton, Giordano & Brody so NO
Carolina has Faulk so NO
Columbus has Werensky & Jones so NO
Colorado has 11,5 milj. tied for Johnson & Barrie with youngsters coming so NO
Chicago has cap issues and Keith so NO
Dallas has Klingberg so NO
Detroit is starting to rebuild and has cap issues so NO
Edmonton has cap issues so NO
Florida has Ekblad so NO
Los Angeles has Doughty so NO
Montreal has Weber so NO
Nashville has Josi & Subban so NO
New Jersey has almost 15 milj. tied to Greene, Severson & Vatanen so NO
Islanders have 11,5 milj. tied to Leddy & Boychuk with three defenseman expecting raise next summer so NO
Rangers have 4 defenseman combined with over 20 milj. and Skej coming out from entry level deal so NO
Ottawa has Karlsson so NO (if they trade Karlsson they DONT wanna Chabot to have buff kind of role model)
Philadelphia has too many defenseman already and yeah they have Provorovand Ghostisberg so NO
Pittsburgh have Letang & Schultz so NO
St.Louis has Pieterangelo & Parayko so NO
San Jose has Burns so NO
Tampa Bay has Hedman so NO
Toronto will sign Matthews, Marner & Nylander over taking buff BELIEVE ME
Vancouver is slow rebuild mode so NO
Vegas is team that plays with Gallants system so no, they don't need some one who will wanna do whatever when ever. so NO
Washington has Carlson so NO

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
This has to stop!!! Last game he started game with stupid pinch and penalty. On power play he cant move the puck fast and cant make accurate sharp passes. He cant play on penalty kill. Even strength he CREATED about 20 scoring opportunities for Canucks.

The Canucks had six scoring chances against the Jets. Yes, six.

In fairness, it is actually a compliment to point out how this supposedly useless defenseman was on the ice for over 19 minutes of ES hockey while only giving up three (3) scoring chances in the whole game.

But, as it very much looks like your take on Buff has already been set in stone, I wish you very happy 3.5 years of watching Buff on a night-to-night basis. Who knows if he retires after his contract is up, but if he does, he will retire a Jet.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Every team has bad contracts....or will be bad contracts in future years as players production decline.
I think Buff was somewhat overpaid but he did give the Jets stability in their lineup previous and now. Letang is good value when he plays and when he doesn't at least he is on LTIR relief.
I really didn't understand why the Hawks gave Seabrook that contract. No other sane team would have offered so much. Certainly a contract with short term should have been offered, and if Seabrook wanted to leave so be it. Just sign another player for that money that you saved by not signing Seabrook.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Every team has bad contracts....or will be bad contracts in future years as players production decline.
I think Buff was somewhat overpaid but he did give the Jets stability in their lineup previous and now. Letang is good value when he plays and when he doesn't at least he is on LTIR relief.
I really didn't understand why the Hawks gave Seabrook that contract. No other sane team would have offered so much. Certainly a contract with short term should have been offered, and if Seabrook wanted to leave so be it. Just sign another player for that money that you saved by not signing Seabrook.
By comparing Seabrook and Byfuglien, it can be found out that Buff did, in fact, give the Jets a discount of a kind.

Does anybody remember what the discussion on Buff was about prior to him re-signing with us? Most fans here were very concerned about "giving him the 7-8 years he wants". Well, he left 2-3 years on the table, and was compensated for it. Chevy used the unused cap space he had to buy himself leverage down the line. I fail to see why that should be seen either as a bad move by Chevy or a selfish move by Buff.

Reactions: Jets 31 and DRW204

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
By comparing Seabrook and Byfuglien, it can be found out that Buff did, in fact, give the Jets a discount of a kind.

Does anybody remember what the discussion on Buff was about prior to him re-signing with us? Most fans here were very concerned about "giving him the 7-8 years he wants". Well, he left 2-3 years on the table, and was compensated for it. Chevy used the unused cap space he had to buy himself leverage down the line. I fail to see why that should be seen either as a bad move by Chevy or a selfish move by Buff.

Yea 5 years was the key and also only two seasons of no movement. Buff is 32 and has 3 seasons left on his deal with only limited movement protection. I get he isn’t everyone’s cup of tea and he can drive me nuts some days too but that was a really good contract.

Context is important. That deal was signed knowing Myers injury history and term left, and Jacob Trouba’s uncertain future with the Jets.

Last edited:

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
The issue I see is this: I'm perfectly happy with a team as skilled as the Jets trading chances with their opposition. If there are ten high danger chances for each team, I like the Jets odds of scoring on more of theirs. Three years ago, Buff alone was creating 3-4 four of those chances himself and yes, was giving up a couple of them a game to the other team. This year, though, he is not creating the same number of opportunities, while giving up at least as many as he did before. Last night, I think there I counted four times he put the Jets in a hole (fourth man back in the first period and takes a penalty because he's behind the play; 2nd period clearing pass right up the slot and intercepted by Vancouver; two terrible pinches in the third, leading to odd man rushes against, while nursing a one goal lead). I cannot recall even one offensive chance he created. He misfired (through no fault of his own) on a one-timer on the PP in the third, but he certainly did not create the chance.

There are more and more of these types of games; where you are only getting the defensive risk, without the offensive threat and I think that is a legitimate reason for concern.

And to those who don't think he took a discount from market value; I'm sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. The $$ are likely market rate, but the most damning thing in the cap era is a contract that is too long and there is no question that his willingness to take a 5-year deal is team-friendly.

Last edited:

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
The Canucks had six scoring chances against the Jets. Yes, six.

In fairness, it is actually a compliment to point out how this supposedly useless defenseman was on the ice for over 19 minutes of ES hockey while only giving up three (3) scoring chances in the whole game.

But, as it very much looks like your take on Buff has already been set in stone, I wish you very happy 3.5 years of watching Buff on a night-to-night basis. Who knows if he retires after his contract is up, but if he does, he will retire a Jet.
So if your stats are correct, you are saying he played around a third of the time while giving up 50% of the chances and also sent us short handed at the start of the game. Doesn't really make him sound too much better.

Reactions: MoreMorrissey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad