Player Discussion: Byfuglien - Managing the asset

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Remember when Laine complained about his TOI but really didn't ?

Answering questions people ask is now considered complaining I guess.
It's how you answer it that matters. When you say it's harder to focus on the game when you play around 18 mins. leaves people wondering how much you care. This is a guy who in past said he was okay with being cut from his high school team because it freed up his weekends and admits he doesn't watch games. He lacks heart for the game and it's clear when he is caught up ice and does not hustle back. He can't keep up with the fast young guys and each season shows it more.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Buff is held to a higher standard than most and rightly so for being a veteran D-man wearing A with a big contract. Also the thing with Buff is a lot of the time you have this feeling he could be great BUT... the mistakes he makes are often the kind that make it easy to question his dedication to defense and overall team play - but I'm willing to cut him some slack in this respect, I think like many people have said part of it is just trying too hard and trying to be THE GUY, while at this stage it would be enough if he just played solid.

As for the comment on ice time, I haven't seen the interview (or read it if it wasn't video) so can't comment on what exactly was asked and answered. But if you're used to playing more like 25-30 min, playing 18 must feel like a different game and having trouble to focus and stay in the flow of the game is understandable. Especially if you're like Buff, for someone who plays a smart "low-event" style D-game I guess it might be easier, but Buff seems to go more by instict and gut-feeling or whatever, which also could explain why both his lows and highs are so peaky.

Reactions: Jets2point0

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
He's definitely not 100%, his stride is really short and choppy, like he can't extend all the way. It makes sense, the injury he had was possibly a groin or hamstring injury, takes a while to heal. Buff is definitely a sub 20 min guy now. His shift are too long near the end of games which are part of the reason he makes brutal mistakes at poor times. The fitness level needed to play 25-30 a game is insane.

I like our lineup without Enstrom, he's just not going to be effective in physical games. If we could move Buff for cap reasons, that would be great.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
He's definitely not 100%, his stride is really short and choppy, like he can't extend all the way. It makes sense, the injury he had was possibly a groin or hamstring injury, takes a while to heal. Buff is definitely a sub 20 min guy now. His shift are too long near the end of games which are part of the reason he makes brutal mistakes at poor times. The fitness level needed to play 25-30 a game is insane.

I like our lineup without Enstrom, he's just not going to be effective in physical games. If we could move Buff for cap reasons, that would be great.

That's just a laughable concept. Enstrom has been very solid this year, and he hasn't skipped a beat when he came back from injury.

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
That's just a laughable concept. Enstrom has been very solid this year, and he hasn't skipped a beat when he came back from injury.

The statistics tell a very different story. For example he has the worst ratio of takeaways to giveaways on the whole team. His +/- is the worst of all Jets defensemen. He has the least amount of hits per game by any defenseman. He has the lowest point production of any defenseman.

There's more but basically on every possible statistic that we can find, he turns out to be a piece of trash. Fails the eye test for me as well, I shiver every time him and Buff are on the ice together (especially with the 1st line).

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
The statistics tell a very different story. For example he has the worst ratio of takeaways to giveaways on the whole team. His +/- is the worst of all Jets defensemen. He has the least amount of hits per game by any defenseman. He has the lowest point production of any defenseman.

There's more but basically on every possible statistic that we can find, he turns out to be a piece of trash. Fails the eye test for me as well, I shiver every time him and Buff are on the ice together (especially with the 1st line).

Thought you were referring to Buff in a Buff thread. Turns out you were talking about Toby. Glad I caught that before you had the chance to read it.

I may as well share the data since I took the time to compile it.

Giveaways vs. Takeaways (x/1):
(1.5) Morrissey 21GvA-14TkA
(2.2) Trouba 44GvA-20TkA
(2.5) Byfuglien 33GvA-13TkA
(2.7) Poolman 8GvA-3TkA
(2.8) Myers 44 GvA-16Tka
(4.0) Chairot 12GvA-3TkA
(4.1) Kulikov 33GvA-8TkA
(18.0) Enstrom 18 GvA-1TkA

Plus/Minus:
+9 Myers
+7 Morrissey
+6 Kulikov
+5 Byfuglien
+5 Trouba
+3 Poolman
+2 Chairot
+1 Enstrom

Hits / GP:
2.5 Byfuglien
1.8 Morrissey
1.6 Trouba
1.4 Chairot
1.1 Kulikov
0.6 Myers
0.5 Poolman
0.4 Enstrom

Points / GP:
0.53 Byfuglien
0.52 Myers
0.41 Trouba
0.41 Morrissey
0.24 Kulikov
0.17 Chiarot
0.14 Enstrom
0.08 Poolman

Last edited:
Reactions: Jets 31

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Thought you were referring to Buff in a Buff thread. Turns out you were talking about Toby. Glad I caught that before you had the chance to read it.

(2.2) Trouba 44GvA-20TkA
(2.7) Poolman 8GvA-3TkA
(2.8) Myers 44 GvA-16Tka
(4.0) Chairot 12GvA-3TkA
(4.1) Kulikov 33GvA-8TkA

Plus/Minus:
+9 Myers
+7 Morrissey
+6 Kulikov
+5 Byfuglien
+5 Trouba
+3 Poolman
+2 Chairot
+1 Enstrom

Hits / GP:
2.5 Byfuglien
1.8 Morrissey
1.6 Trouba
1.4 Chairot
1.1 Kulikov
0.6 Myers
0.5 Poolman
0.4 Enstrom

Points / GP:
0.53 Byfuglien
0.52 Myers
0.41 Trouba
0.41 Morrissey
0.24 Kulikov
0.17 Chiarot
0.14 Enstrom
0.08 Poolman
Good job on putting all those stats together . My takeaway from them is Buff is very important to this team and i don't think trading Buff would be smart at all . We are a better team with than without .

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

(2.2) Trouba 44GvA-20TkA
(2.7) Poolman 8GvA-3TkA
(2.8) Myers 44 GvA-16Tka
(4.0) Chairot 12GvA-3TkA
(4.1) Kulikov 33GvA-8TkA

Plus/Minus:
+9 Myers
+7 Morrissey
+6 Kulikov
+5 Byfuglien
+5 Trouba
+3 Poolman
+2 Chairot
+1 Enstrom

Hits / GP:
2.5 Byfuglien
1.8 Morrissey
1.6 Trouba
1.4 Chairot
1.1 Kulikov
0.6 Myers
0.5 Poolman
0.4 Enstrom

Points / GP:
0.53 Byfuglien
0.52 Myers
0.41 Trouba
0.41 Morrissey
0.24 Kulikov
0.17 Chiarot
0.14 Enstrom
0.08 Poolman
The only stat where Morrissey isn't top 2 is points per GP & even there he is tied for third despite playing almost no PP time. Reinforces the eye-test that he & Trouba are 1-2 on this team. Buff on the other hand fares better than I thought he might.

Reactions: MoreMorrissey

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Buff only one of our guys not willing to give a home team discount but willing to gush how he loves playing with the kidz

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I would much rather Buff signed for 10 years at 4mil would love to see old Buff come in punch the time clock and then go sit in the Pressbox.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
How is 7.2 million at 5 years a discount?

The dollars isn't a discount, it's roughly the amount a Dman of his ilk at the time of signing would have gotten. However, being under 8 years is a discount. Look at similar UFA deals like Letang (8 x 7.25 AAV), Burns (8x8AAV) Seabrook (8 x 6.875 AAV) and Phaneuf (7 x 7 AAV).. Would you rather have Buff at 8 years at 7Mish or 5?

Reactions: Jets 31

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
The dollars isn't a discount, it's roughly the amount a Dman of his ilk at the time of signing would have gotten. However, being under 8 years is a discount. Look at similar UFA deals like Letang (8 x 7.25 AAV), Burns (8x8AAV) Seabrook (8 x 6.875 AAV) and Phaneuf (7 x 7 AAV).. Would you rather have Buff at 8 years at 7Mish or 5?
Frankly I would rather have any of those guys listed above except Phaneuf. It's the problem with how NHL contracts work. You get paid for what you have done, not what you will do. or Are doing.

Reactions: Male75FromFinland

Male75FromFinland

Aug 5, 2010
Compare Buff with Letang, Burns, Seabrook or Phaneuf :thumbu:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Compare Buff with Letang, Burns, Seabrook or Phaneuf :thumbu:
Letang is a tirefire defensively and is supremely injury prone. The guy had a stroke and multiple concussions at the time of the deal. Also recently had a fractured neck.

Seabrook is garbage and signed until 40. Dion isn't a stall worth either.

I give you Burns but burns at 8M until 40...not sure about that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad