Player Discussion: Byfuglien - Managing the asset

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yea I was really happy with how Buff, Morrissey, and Trouba played late last year.

Buff has taken his off seasons a bit more seriously and his wife has really helped out with the meal planning. Buff is still Buff but when he is brining his A game he is one of my favorite players in the NHL to watch. Nobody brings out the bipolar fan in me more.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Tdpjets

Dec 30, 2017
with the jets deadly power play, what do you guys think about putting Byfuglien in front of the net rather at the point? the defence might tighten up in front of the net to account for buff, which will give more room for laine.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
with the jets deadly power play, what do you guys think about putting Byfuglien in front of the net rather at the point? the defence might tighten up in front of the net to account for buff, which will give more room for laine.
I think they would rather pressure the point if it's anyone besides buff up top. He's got a shot and he's very strong on the puck.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Geeez just reading all of the posts on here , unreal . Soooooo glad Buff is a Jet and i hope he wins another cup here . Good job on defending Buff Ducky10 , i'll buy you a drink one day , maybe during the Cup celebration in June . :naughty: :laugh:

Reactions: probablywrongbut

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Buff has been full value and beyond so far. I would not be surprised at at all if he is close to full value for the duration of his contract.

Yeah he has been actually getting better than he was in the 16-17 season. I think he has taken a step back from being a 4th fwd and recognized that he is a full time D now. Much less of those bad reads he used to make that caused turnovers and 2 on 1's etc. Less pressure on him to provide scoring when the team has so much of that ability up front. Looks like he's more focused on his best assets now, trying to do less.

Also helps that they now have good D to play big minutes (Morrissey, Trouba) so Buff doesn't need to be overplayed and doesn't get totally gassed. Same could help other Jets vets.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I think he's learned to feed on Mo's system which requires a dman pushing at both blue lines to keep the puck in and to prevent entering the zone. He's not making the bad reads he used to and at offensive blue lines F's are now properly expecting his pinch and working give and go's with him to maximize it.

Worth every penny.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I think he's learned to feed on Mo's system which requires a dman pushing at both blue lines to keep the puck in and to prevent entering the zone. He's not making the bad reads he used to and at offensive blue lines F's are now properly expecting his pinch and working give and go's with him to maximize it.

Worth every penny.
Agreed, the system Maurice preaches keeps a tight gap, or a hard gap as PoMo refers to it. It allows Buff to be a bigger part of the offense while getting support from the forwards and without leaving his partner guessing. The rest is managing his risk, he's done that well. He's a big driver for this team and our key player in transition.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Yeah he has been actually getting better than he was in the 16-17 season. I think he has taken a step back from being a 4th fwd and recognized that he is a full time D now. Much less of those bad reads he used to make that caused turnovers and 2 on 1's etc. Less pressure on him to provide scoring when the team has so much of that ability up front. Looks like he's more focused on his best assets now, trying to do less.

Also helps that they now have good D to play big minutes (Morrissey, Trouba) so Buff doesn't need to be overplayed and doesn't get totally gassed. Same could help other Jets vets.
This probably had more of an effect than anything else. On average, his minutes have dropped by three minutes a night from 16-17 to this day.

Reactions: ps241

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Just a little story on Buff ,when he was out with his concussion he went to a buddy of mine to buy a snowblower . When my buddy told me this i didn't believe him because as if Buff is going to do his own driveway :laugh: But my buddy delivered it to his house and got a picture with Buff and the snowblower . Turns out Buff wanted it because he was making a skating rink for kids in the area , always thought Buff was a good guy , now so do Hf Jets . :thumbu:

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Yes. I'd love to see Maurice change up the PP a bit. It works in the regular season, but got way too predictable against Vegas in the playoffs last season. I'd like to see a base PP like the one we have now, with Scheifele in the slot, Wheeler on the perimeter, and Laine in his usual spot. And another PP based on Buff in front causing havoc on the goaltender. Then mix it up throughout the game. Went to the well one to many times against Vegas and the PP really got frustrated when Vegas doubled Scheifele and took the middle of the ice away.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Does anyone know where/with whom Buff trains during the summer? (Assuming he does train :P).

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Does anyone know where/with whom Buff trains during the summer? (Assuming he does train :P).

s-l300.jpg

And

al_lindner_300px-298x315.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad