Player Discussion: Byfuglien - Managing the asset

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Wow the Buff hate in this thread is quite remarkable. I’m not saying he’s the best defencenan in the league, but he’s still a key piece of our team and is worth his contract IMO.

Re: being on ice for “half” of the chances against last night, i.e. all of three scoring chances has to be taken into context of who he’s matching up against which I believe tended to by Vancouver’s better players. Fact is all our D played well, and the raw numbers are what I care most about not what % each D pair was responsible for.

As for Buff acting like he was at a funeral after the win being offered as proof of his bad attitude, I don’t know how many Buff interviews @Male75FromFinland has watched, but in my experience he seems to be the same in every single interview win or lose. Very soft spoken, low-key, almost depressed. I think that’s just Buff.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
So if your stats are correct, you are saying he played around a third of the time while giving up 50% of the chances and also sent us short handed at the start of the game. Doesn't really make him sound too much better.
tyTc1Nl.jpg

That's just not the point, is it...

Three chances against in 19 minutes is incredible. It takes a special amount of hatred to spin that into a negative.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
One thing I will say is that him and Toby our the only dmen on the team lower than 50% with regards to CF%. Buff and Toby can play better but they are still playing solid hockey.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I think Buff can play better. I think both him and Toby are taking longer to recover from whatever little injuries they have. At some point they will trade him though. But that is a couple years away

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Buff is still our best passer out of our zone , which starts alot of offensive opportunities for our forwards . He is also very good at tying the forward up in front of our net . And although not as much as i would like , he is by far our best hitter on the team which makes the opposition at least keep their heads up coming through the neutral zone or our zone . Last night he ripped a shot that beat the goalie clean but hit the post . I like Wheeler but he made the worst pass of the night and if Buff made that pass we would have another 4 pages on here about Buff being the worst passer in the NHL .

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
It will be very interesting to see what happens in two years. I think we have Buff for this year and next, but when it comes time to pay Wheeler and Laine, something has to give. I think that something is Buff.

I like Buff and think he is still very important to the make up of our team. As far as keeping the best of our core together, it has to be team first and I don't see how Buff fits in two years. Losing that particular contract at that time, pretty much fixes everything.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Wanted to resurrect the Buff thread.
He picked up his game just where he left it at the playoffs - in beastmode!!! Can't wait to watch another ~100 games of this beautiful beautiful man during the next season.

Does anyone know how Buff trains during the summer (other than fishing)? He seems to shake off the rust so effortlessly.

Reactions: JetsFan815

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
He was dominant in the playoffs just like I thought he would be.
If we had a legit 2LHD, we'd rival the Preds starting four.
Too bad Samberg won't be ready for awhile, I think they would be dynamite together.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Does anyone know how Buff trains during the summer (other than fishing)? He seems to shake off the rust so effortlessly.

I am not sure how much or how he trains since he has never talked about it, but he plays in a NHL'r summer beer league in Minny. Buff is just a genetic beast, a few years ago he would come to camp carrying a few extra pounds (according to former Jets reporter Gary Lawless) and still not miss a beat.

Reactions: Tommigun

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
imagine if he was allowed to juice for a off season to get into the best shape of his life lol god i wld love to see that!

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Buff was our best defenceman in last years playoffs , good thing we didn't trade him at the deadline . Buff is still our best defenceman right now , well him and Morrissey are our best defenceman . The guy that needs to be traded is Trouba , he doesn't want to be here and so far he is playing like it too .

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Wanted to resurrect the Buff thread.
He picked up his game just where he left it at the playoffs - in beastmode!!! Can't wait to watch another ~100 games of this beautiful beautiful man during the next season.

Endless hours of badminton and fishing + a couple of skates in late august.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Or a scallop wrapped in bacon:laugh:
Buff is one of a kind
Bought his jersey and he always been my favourite Jet since the return
Bought a Pavelec jersey in year 1 , i know , he had my number :laugh: , but got Buff's Heritage jersey as soon as i could . Man that's a nice jersey . :nod:

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Buff was our best defenceman in last years playoffs , good thing we didn't trade him at the deadline . Buff is still our best defenceman right now , well him and Morrissey are our best defenceman . The guy that needs to be traded is Trouba , he doesn't want to be here and so far he is playing like it too .

I think Trouba is already playing to the fullest of his potential. Which is a #3 defender.

Reactions: Laine Fan

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Buff has been mostly good buff for the past year, and I like it!

I hope he plays this year exactly like he played last year. Not perfect in his own zone (wish he was a bit meaner) but he usually takes penalties when he's mean so...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->