Confirmed with Link: Bye Marc Methot.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I felt Methot was overvalued here, but jeez, not by that much.

Either Dorion did not put much stock whatsoever in retaining Methot, or McPhee really overvalued how much he could get for Methot. I have to believe its the latter.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
wtf...

What is going on? Is McPhee just ****ing with the Sens? Do the Sens just not want Methot?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Wow, Dallas got a steal. Suprised we didn't offer more than that, but we'll have to wait and see what the roster is in Oct before passing judgement.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Meanwhile, Dallas is laughing their butts off that they got a veteran #2 dman, possibly a #3 on their team, for peanuts(heck, let's just call it what is, nothing). They are poised to make noise next season with Marc on their backend, and Bishop in net, while we go from almost winning the cup, to having very little quality depth on D unless Dorion somehow pulls a rabbit out of his hat.

Incredible really. Vegas really screwed us over.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Meanwhile, Dallas is laughing their butts off that they got a veteran #2 dman, possibly a #3 on their team, for peanuts(heck, let's just call it what is, nothing). They are poised to make noise next season with Marc on their backend, and Bishop in net, while we go from almost winning the cup, to having very little quality depth on D unless Dorion somehow pulls a rabbit out of his hat.

Incredible really. Vegas really screwed us over.

Dallas got Spezza and Methot for two 2nds, Chiasson, Nick Paul, and a few scrubs.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
This is still on McPhee, but one does have to wonder why we couldn't match the 2nd in two years after we beat the bluff on the expansion draft.

I wonder if McPhee was just punishing us. Maybe he doesn't like how Dorion and Eugene conduct business here, leaking rumours constantly to the media.

If LA was serious in their pitch for Phaneuf, and we could get Brown to waive his NTC, lets do it. I feel like Dustin Brown would be a godsend for us.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Not sure what went on ... pretty cheap to lose Methot... 2nd in 2020 and a 7th round goalie prospect.. its not as if Vegas was holding out for him... Dorion either is clueless or McPhee wasn't willing to send him back this way.

1297966490850_ORIGINAL.jpg

Can't wait to hear his high five spin on this

Last edited:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
This is still on McPhee, but one does have to wonder why we couldn't match the 2nd in two years after we beat the bluff on the expansion draft.

I wonder if McPhee was just punishing us. Maybe he doesn't like how Dorion and Eugene conduct business here, leaking rumours constantly to the media.

If LA was serious in their pitch for Phaneuf, and we could get Brown to waive his NTC, lets do it. I feel like Dustin Brown would be a godsend for us.

Maybe Dorion didn't take the pledge. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto

You can't re-acquire your own players until January 1st.

Edit: nvm, stand corrected.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
This stings even more. :(

Don't worry I have it on good authority Dorion is great.. he hired Boucher and that proves it beyond a shadow of a doubt.

He got that very important thing right I must admit... And there were very likely more budget friendly candidates... wait...who was in the running?

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Don't worry I have it on good authority Dorion is great.. he hired Boucher and that proves it beyond a shadow of a doubt.

He got that very important thing right I must admit... And there were very likely more budget friendly candidates... wait...who was in the running?

Finding Boucher was the best thing this franchise has done since we drafted EK. As Bryan Murray stated, we looked internally on too many occasions. Guy is the guy.

Losing Marc is tough, but I give full kudo's for Dorion not caving to McPhee. I would have, and I feel like regardless of weather the prospects turn out, they have far more value than Marc did and may ever have. We made the best of a no win situation.

I'm crushed as bad as the rest of us that Marc didn't return to Ottawa this season but if we're lucky, we'll land him next season as a UFA and stick it to Dallas. But in the interim let's focus on trying to maximize assets and winning potential.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Finding Boucher was the best thing this franchise has done since we drafted EK. As Bryan Murray stated, we looked internally on too many occasions. Guy is the guy.

Losing Marc is tough, but I give full kudo's for Dorion not caving to McPhee. I would have, and I feel like regardless of weather the prospects turn out, they have far more value than Marc did and may ever have. We made the best of a no win situation.

I'm crushed as bad as the rest of us that Marc didn't return to Ottawa this season but if we're lucky, we'll land him next season as a UFA and stick it to Dallas. But in the interim let's focus on trying to maximize assets and winning potential.

Honestly, I'm not so sure about that. The 1-3-1 hides a lot of flaws, and bad teams usually get some short-term success with it.

The key will be seeing if this team can grow and improve, now that the 'Boucher Sens' aren't a mystery team anymore.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
All these knee jerk reactions are hilarious.

How about we wait and see what the team looks like in mid July?

Jeez.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
All these knee jerk reactions are hilarious.

How about we wait and see what the team looks like in mid July?

Jeez.

Two weeks? Might as well be two years for all of the patience that this board has.

Being a sports fan (of any sport) and lacking patience must be a miserable existence. I don't know how people do it. It sounds like the worst combination of things, like fish and ice cream.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I hate saying this because he's a good player but Methot is massively overrated by a lot of people on here.

Amusing how favouring the veterans over prospects is something that only inept coaches do eh? :laugh:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I hate saying this because he's a good player but Methot is massively overrated by a lot of people on here.

Amusing how favouring the veterans over prospects is something that only inept coaches do eh? :laugh:

Methot obviously benefited by partnering iwth Erik. No doubt about it.

But...one of the biggest advantages with certain teams, is having the same pair/line/duo playing together for a long time. Being able to play purely by instinct and knowing exactly what your partner is at all times is valuable....even if it doesn't show up on a stat sheet. Losing that is a big hit. Talent-wise, Methot is definitely replaceable...but the time to cultivate a new top pairing...that's not something you can instantly obtain.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Methot played less than 20 minutes a night. Calling him a #2 Isn't quite right when we had 3 guys that played more and quite a bit more. I'm not going to bash him Marc was a great player for us for many years. But it might help those with a hate on for management to accurately see what he was. We lose his physicality which is a loss however his icetime is easily replaced.

The Ceci bashing focused on guys that should be in the top 4 and push Ceci out. Where are the Claesson fans that wanted him in the top 4? Why aren't you stepping up and saying Freddie''s got this? What about the Harpur fans? Where are those guys? And finally we've got Chabot. Some think he needs to spend a year of seasoning in the AHL. Look around the league at how many young D are playing. Chabot is 20 starting the season and he has a resume coming in that the league hasn't seen in years. Losing Methot sucks more because I liked him then he wasn't replaceable. He was likely the most internally replaceable asset we had. Getting rid of 4.9 in cap space on a 32 year old bad back d man is an opportunity and no I don't mean an opportunity to unleash a torrent of PD bashing.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Methot played less than 20 minutes a night. Calling him a #2 Isn't quite right when we had 3 guys that played more and quite a bit more. I'm not going to bash him Marc was a great player for us for many years. But it might help those with a hate on for management to accurately see what he was. We lose his physicality which is a loss however his icetime is easily replaced.

The Ceci bashing focused on guys that should be in the top 4 and push Ceci out. Where are the Claesson fans that wanted him in the top 4? Why aren't you stepping up and saying Freddie''s got this? What about the Harpur fans? Where are those guys? And finally we've got Chabot. Some think he needs to spend a year of seasoning in the AHL. Look around the league at how many young D are playing. Chabot is 20 starting the season and he has a resume coming in that the league hasn't seen in years. Losing Methot sucks more because I liked him then he wasn't replaceable. He was likely the most internally replaceable asset we had. Getting rid of 4.9 in cap space on a 32 year old bad back d man is an opportunity and no I don't mean an opportunity to unleash a torrent of PD bashing.

Agreed. I like Meth and wanted to keep him but this isn't the end of the world by any stretch, and frankly, won't have a big impact on our long-term success. The team has other holes and issues for sure, but losing Methot is not at the top of the list in terms of things holding this team back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad