Confirmed with Link: Bye Marc Methot.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Was there any trade talk around Phaneuf before the whole expansion draft controversy? If not it just seems like pettiness on Ottawa's part right now.
Not one person from Ottawa started this whole we are trading Phaneuf..........Yet we hear it everyday from Sportsnet :nod:

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
I think it's all media hype again. They're trying to create controversy.

To be honest, now that we have lost Methot, I don't want to trade Phaneuf on top of it just to see Claesson, Harpur or Chabot being pushed into these spots.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Not one person from Ottawa started this whole we are trading Phaneuf..........Yet we hear it everyday from Sportsnet :nod:

This is coming from all corners. Can't solely blame Sportsnet for this one.

It is very bizarre that this story has become so public and really does seem like sour grapes on Ottawa's part. While I agree 100% on the reasoning for looking to move the contract, the fact that all media, National and local jumping on this is very strange.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
So based on that quote, the Sens could re-acquire Methot from Vegas?

:sens

Marc Methot (2 x 4.9)
Mikhail Grabovski (1 x 5.0) LTIR?

:vegas

Dion Phaneuf (4 x 7.0)
Ben Harpur (1 x 0.653 then RFA)

Would it work? lol

Pretty sure Erik is leaving in two years anyways, unfortunately.

What? This is based on?

Losing Methot hurts a lot but we're lucky that Claesson has turned into something. I feel like PD and co. see Claesson as Phaneuf's replacement. And now we're trying to find a way to trade Dion to use his cap to replace Methot.

"to use his cap"? Sens currently have 15 M$ of cap space, they don't need to move anybody to replace Methot...

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011

Marc Methot (2 x 4.9)

Dion Phaneuf (4 x 7.0)

Would it work? lol

Given Dion has already exercised his right to not go to LV, no.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
It would probably be trade Dion to a 3rd party for a 2018 2nd+short term cap dump. Move that cap dump+other team's 2018 2nd+Claesson+B prospect to Vegas for Methot.

Claesson seemed to be their second choice, so if we want Methot that's probably a consolation we'd have to give them with the price of whatever assets we have to package with Claesson going down.

Cap space doesn't matter. Salary does. We don't know what the Senators budget is for this season, but with both Methot and Phaneuf along with our roster filled out to 23 men and Pageau/Dzingel re-signed, we were probably looking at around 72M-73M in salary.

That's pretty far above what we've been around salary wise at the start of the last two seasons, so I'd imagine unless Melnyk has raised the budget we can't acquire Methot back without ditching Phaneuf.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Seems like a no brainer IF the cost is more reasonable now for whatever reason.

Re-acquire Methot. Trade Dion. Spend some cash to fill holes.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
This is coming from all corners. Can't solely blame Sportsnet for this one.

It is very bizarre that this story has become so public and really does seem like sour grapes on Ottawa's part. While I agree 100% on the reasoning for looking to move the contract, the fact that all media, National and local jumping on this is very strange.

All the talk was Toronto was on the verge of a big trade deal did not happen and all the talk is now on Dion could this be Toronto media trying to spin.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Methot is replaceable and aging. Love his personality and his give a crap meter, but privately, Dorion is enjoying the $5M in his pocket right now.

Claesson, arguably, is a better fit for Karl anyways. Ceci, has to bounce back with his finger issues clearly hampering his offence. Also explains why he was so revered by coaches because he played through quite a bit it seems.

Wideman-Boro-Harpur in the bottom pairing with Chabot getting his feet wet with his former coach in Belleville and platooning up here...no rush.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
If the price comes down on Methot I’d do that trade for sure. There are worse things than going into this season with the same top 4.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
We all heard that Dorion was entertaining trading Methot before the expansion draft. We also heard that Methot put all the Canadian teams on his NTC because he bleeds Ottawa. I wonder if Dorion gave Methot a list of teams interested in him, so he could put them on his NTC to spite LV, and have him traded back to Ottawa.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Marc Methot (2 x 4.9)

Dion Phaneuf (4 x 7.0)

Would it work? lol

What? This is based on?

"to use his cap"? Sens currently have 15 M$ of cap space, they don't need to move anybody to replace Methot...

Why would you trade Harpur when he could turn into a much better version of Methot defensively with more offence?

Ottawa doesn't need to do anything, they won't miss Methot, Phaneuf & the other LDs will be able to make up Methot's minutes. The young guys have to play at some point & since Claesson is on a one way contract now, he will be the guy taking his spot & some of his minutes. We should know before Xmas whether he can handle the extra responsibility at the NHL level & if he can't we start bringing up the other left side defencemen in Harpur, Englund & maybe Chabot until one works out.

Although it will likely take a yr or two my guess is that at some point it could be Englund who eventually turns out to be Methot's replacement to play with Karlsson. Harpur should be the guy to replace Phaneuf, if PD can ever find a team to take his contract off our hands & Jaros should eventually replace Wideman. Chabot & Boroweicki could end up splitting time on the 3rd pairing until Chabot learns how to play defence in the NHL & work his way up the lineup.

In a couple of yrs:

Englund - Karlsson
Harpur - Ceci
Chabot - Jaros/Boroweicki

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Why would you trade Harpur when he could turn into a much better version of Methot defensively with more offence?

Ottawa doesn't need to do anything, they won't miss Methot, Phaneuf & the other LDs will be able to make up Methot's minutes. The young guys have to play at some point & since Claesson is on a one way contract now, he will be the guy taking his spot & some of his minutes. We should know before Xmas whether he can handle the extra responsibility at the NHL level & if he can't we start bringing up the other left side defencemen in Harpur, Englund & maybe Chabot until one works out.

Although it will likely take a yr or two my guess is that at some point it could be Englund who eventually turns out to be Methot's replacement to play with Karlsson. Harpur should be the guy to replace Phaneuf, if PD can ever find a team to take his contract off our hands & Jaros should eventually replace Wideman. Chabot & Boroweicki could end up splitting time on the 3rd pairing until Chabot learns how to play defence in the NHL & work his way up the lineup.

In a couple of yrs:

Englund - Karlsson
Harpur - Ceci
Chabot - Jaros/Boroweicki

Only you would come up with such wild scenarios, sir.

Harpur could be a decent #3-4 dman, but we haven't seen anything to suggest he'd be better than Methot, and certainly hasn't given any hint that he could be some sort of offensively minded guy. I mean, I think he's got potential for sure, but you seem to once again be blinded by size.

Your defensive pairings make me want to cry. Thank god you aren't officially affiliated with the Senators! :laugh:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Only you would come up with such wild scenarios, sir.

Harpur could be a decent #3-4 dman, but we haven't seen anything to suggest he'd be better than Methot, and certainly hasn't given any hint that he could be some sort of offensively minded guy.

Your defensive pairings make me want to cry. Thank god you aren't officially affiliated with the Senators! :laugh:

Englund was highly touted in his draft yr & much is expected from him this yr. Haprur was Bingo's best defencemen last yr & had a very good playoff yr considering he didn't play much all yr in Ottawa. Chabot is considered a blue chip prospect & Jaros is another defenceman that is highly touted by the organization. All of these guys have NHL size & are expected to challenge for NHL jobs, a couple as soon as this yr & all have had more press than Claesson or Wideman who are considered 3rd pairing NHL players. I didn't say it would all happen this coming season but I expect it too over the next 2 to 3 yrs. It seems logical while you know nothing Jon Snow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad