Confirmed with Link: Bye Marc Methot.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Of note, I don't think Dorion will admit it, but I think he likely had a potential deal worked out with Vegas to get Methot back, but he would only do it if he could deal Phaneuf. With our depth at LHD and needs elsewhere, not to mention the $12 million in cap $ they combine to collect, it made sense to let one go, but not both. If he could have netted slightly less for Phaneuf than Methot (i.e. a 3rd), then I think he would have likely done the deal.

At some point Dorion must have seen that Phaneuf and Methot ate more cap room together than Karlsson, Ceci, Claesson, Wideman and Boro combined. Too much.

which the sens were fine with when trading for Phaneuf. And all of last season.

I don't think that makes any sense.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Put me in the Methot's value was inflated by his partner category.

BUT...

McPhee didn't necessarily want Methot.
Methinks Dorion called him on his bluff and didnt pony up with a ridiculous package (firsts, White, etc...) to keep him.
Then, a week later when his very own actions/selections were responsible for saturating the market with d-men, McPhee had no choice but to dump Methot for below average return.

^^ :handclap:. This.

McPhee was clearly trying to hold us hostage pre-expansion draft. After all, we were the perfect franchise to shake down. Lots of nice prospects, and a key veteran we didn't want to lose up on the block. Dorion quite wisely called McPhee's bluff, and McPhee got stuck with a guy he never really wanted.

I recognize that this is not a universally shared view, but I think that we ultimately made out pretty well here all things considered. Losing Claesson would have hurt more than losing Methot. Here's my reasoning:

We just enjoyed the best years of Methot's career over the last few years. Now he is approaching 32 and has a lot of miles on the odometer injury wise. He was 0-12-12 offensively, not much point production given the ice time he gets and the fact that his partner is the best defenceman in the world. I love the guy as a stay at home, hard rock defenceman, but we already have one of those in Phaneuf, and we knew Phaneuf's contract situation when we got him.

We also got to shed $5 million a year in cap space for the next two years, space we will badly need next summer. Yes, Methot was a great contributor to the club, good partner for Karlsson and a solid guy in the community, but I'll argue that at $5 million a year he was starting to become a bit pricey for a guy who doesn't contribute much in the puck moving department.

Bottom line - I understand why people think Dorion looks like a donkey on this one, but I think that biting the bullet, accepting the Methot loss and not giving up significant younger assets to keep him was the right call for the team. I'll also add that George McPhee had better hope that he doesn't need a favour from us in the next few years...

operasen

Apr 27, 2004

McPhee was clearly trying to hold us hostage pre-expansion draft. After all, we were the perfect franchise to shake down. Lots of nice prospects, and a key veteran we didn't want to lose up on the block. Dorion quite wisely called McPhee's bluff, and McPhee got stuck with a guy he never really wanted.

I recognize that this is not a universally shared view, but I think that we ultimately made out pretty well here all things considered. Losing Claesson would have hurt more than losing Methot. Here's my reasoning:

We just enjoyed the best years of Methot's career over the last few years. Now he is approaching 32 and has a lot of miles on the odometer injury wise. He was 0-12-12 offensively, not much point production given the ice time he gets and the fact that his partner is the best defenceman in the world. I love the guy as a stay at home, hard rock defenceman, but we already have one of those in Phaneuf, and we knew Phaneuf's contract situation when we got him.

We also got to shed $5 million a year in cap space for the next two years, space we will badly need next summer. Yes, Methot was a great contributor to the club, good partner for Karlsson and a solid guy in the community, but I'll argue that at $5 million a year he was starting to become a bit pricey for a guy who doesn't contribute much in the puck moving department.

Bottom line - I understand why people think Dorion looks like a donkey on this one, but I think that biting the bullet, accepting the Methot loss and not giving up significant younger assets to keep him was the right call for the team. I'll also add that George McPhee had better hope that he doesn't need a favour from us in the next few years...

Excellent summation. If we had to lose a piece Methot hurts the least, based on McPhee's ask.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I felt Methot was overvalued here, but jeez, not by that much.

Either Dorion did not put much stock whatsoever in retaining Methot, or McPhee really overvalued how much he could get for Methot. I have to believe its the latter.

Agree. I love Methot and I'm quite upset he's gone, but he's not a true #2. He's a very good #4. For a guy who's supposed to be the greatest shutdown guy ever, he was rarely matched up against the other team's best players, he was 4th among defesemen in PK TOI. He provided zero offense whatsoever. He's 32 and has a bad back. One dimensional defensemen like him don't age well. He has one, maybe two seasons left at his current level on play.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Agree. I love Methot and I'm quite upset he's gone, but he's not a true #2. He's a very good #4. For a guy who's supposed to be the greatest shutdown guy ever, he was rarely matched up against the other team's best players, he was 4th among defesemen in PK TOI. He provided zero offense whatsoever. He's 32 and has a bad back. One dimensional defensemen like him don't age well. He has one, maybe two seasons left at his current level on play.

Is this his fault though? I mean didn't they utilize Ceci mostly for the shutdown role? I am not sure. If they did that's on the coach because the only thing that Ceci shuts down is his own offense

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

Agree so much about Phaneuf. I think Phaneuf should be Karlsson's new partner. He did his job stabilizing Ceci and helping him progress his career to where Ceci is now solid and dependable. On the top pair, Phaneuf would be an extra weapon that Karlsson can use. With Methot, the other team only needed to key in on Karlsson and not worry about Methot. With Phaneuf, other teams need to worry a bit more about his shot, which might open things up offensively for Karlsson. Not to mention the fact that Phaneuf can also play the PP. Phaneuf is far more useful to us than Methot was.

I want to see
Phaneuf-Karlsson
Claesson-Ceci
Boro/Harpur-Wideman

If Chabot can force his way onto the lineup, then bonus. But I'm not counting on it.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Like I said in Dorion thread, I bet Methot is happy he landed in Dallas where he can basically do the same thing he's been doing, just give the puck to a higher skilled Swedish partner.

Obviously Klingberg is not Karlsson, but it beats being in Vegas and being expected to do a whole lot more all of a sudden at age 32. If he plays it right in Dallas he'll still get at least another 1 to 2 year deal from someone after this contract.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Considering how upset this board is over losing Methot, he didn't seem to return very much from Dallas. His value doesn't seem to be anywhere near what people are saying he is worth to Ottawa. Ottawa has plenty of depth on LD, I doubt they miss him much.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
This is still on McPhee, but one does have to wonder why we couldn't match the 2nd in two years after we beat the bluff on the expansion draft.

I wonder if McPhee was just punishing us. Maybe he doesn't like how Dorion and Eugene conduct business here, leaking rumours constantly to the media.

If LA was serious in their pitch for Phaneuf, and we could get Brown to waive his NTC, lets do it. I feel like Dustin Brown would be a godsend for us.

How did the Senators beat the bluff in the Expansion Draft?

It seems to me that the Senators lost their best defensive defenseman and did nothing to prevent the loss. Surely the Senators could have beaten the Dallas offer.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

It seems to me that the Senators lost their best defensive defenseman and did nothing to prevent the loss. Surely the Senators could have beaten the Dallas offer.

All accounts suggest that the price for Ottawa to keep Methot was higher than the cost for Dallas to acquire him.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Why give up any assets for Methot when Ottawa has plenty of LD depth to withstand the loss? I liked Methot but IMO Ottawa will be fine without him & he will likely be forgotten one month into the season.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think most posters are angry because they think Dorion didn't match the asking price after the price drop. Not sure if McPhee would've accepted it from Ottawa though

McPhee would be foolish not to accept the best offer, because his job security depends on it. I suspect Dorion did not offer a package that McPhee felt was better than the Dallas offer. That is logical.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
McPhee would be foolish not to accept the best offer, because his job security depends on it. I suspect Dorion did not offer a package that McPhee felt was better than the Dallas offer. That is logical.

Agreed.

The irrational position is that McPhee was so slighted at Ottawa not paying his price that he refused to trade with them.

A theory for which there is no evidence to support and is basically insane.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Why give up any assets for Methot when Ottawa has plenty of LD depth to withstand the loss? I liked Methot but IMO Ottawa will be fine without him & he will likely be forgotten one month into the season.

I think Methot was the best defensive Defenseman on the team and will be missed, particularly during the first month of the next season (Karlsson and Brassard will still be recovering from injuries) as the depth defensemen lack Methot's skill and experience.

The Senators had high hopes for certain other defensemen (Cowen, Wiercioch, Rundblad) who did not meet the hopes and expectations of fans. It will take some experience at the AHL and NHL levels for some of those depth defensemen to get to Methot's level of play. I think he will be missed for the entire next season.

But that is only my opinion and only time will tell.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Will it be hard for McPhee to negotiate deals with Dorion after this? I'd be pissed at McPhee if I were him.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Will it be hard for McPhee to negotiate deals with Dorion after this? I'd be pissed at McPhee if I were him.

Likely not on the Christmas card list, but ... It's business and Dorion should never shut the door if he thinks there is a possibility to make a good deal to make his team better. McPhee ... should behave similarly ..but who knows what he does at this point.

McPhee lost on this deal imo; and so did Ottawa but not as much.

We were not willing to give a 2018 First but ... I am pretty sure McPhee could have possibly had a 2017 first or a 2nd from 2017 or 2018 plus he could have chosen Claesson.

A 2018 2nd and Claesson is much better than what McPhee ended up with. He's a dick if he was vindictive in anyway towards the Sens

Last edited:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Likely not on the Christmas card list, but ... Its business and Dorion should never shut the door if he thinks there is a possibility to make a good deal to make his team better.

Definitely can't block the guys number, but will Dorion ask for more in a potential deal with McPhee or hesitate to make a deal with him? In other words, say we had a guy Vegas liked but there were other teams interested. Would Dorion decide to move the player to another team just to make a point to McPhee? I doubt guys hold grudges forever, but I could certainly see Dorion being upset over this.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Doubt it.

Freeing up the money while losing a good player that we should be able to replace sounds fine with me and I bet Dorion agrees.

Not ideal but fine.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016

I remember searching for defense for nearly a decade because of the "young defensive depth" about to blossom

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I remember searching for defense for nearly a decade because of the "young defensive depth" about to blossom

Cowen got seriously injured and never recovered.

We have seen Claesson play with Karlsson and he did a great job. We saw Kuba play with a young, inexperienced Karlsson and he was great.

We'll be fine. The second pairing was our problem and losing Methot didn't affect our second pairing.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Cowen got seriously injured and never recovered.

We have seen Claesson play with Karlsson and he did a great job. We saw Kuba play with a young, inexperienced Karlsson and he was great.

We'll be fine. The second pairing was our problem and losing Methot didn't affect our second pairing.

Are you really saying Ottawas defense was fine prior to this season?

Depth is the issue... clubs an injury away from Boro playing top four minutes... and EK is injured to start the season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->