Confirmed with Link: Bye Marc Methot.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Could not trade for Methot with Vegas because he was a Draft selection. Could now trade with Dallas if he wanted to. Doubt a 2nd and Chris Paul would do it though.

Methot is gone and we need to move ahead. We sign a UFA, make a trade or develop Chabot, Harpur, Jaros and Englund at a quicker pace.

There is no Karlsson partner until Karlsson returns and gets up to speed which is probably mid-November before he's comfortable. Right now its open season with Phaneuf - Ceci and Borowiecki - Wideman as the returning pairs with Claesson to be fit in. At least two of Chabot, Harpur, Jaros and Englund need to make the team out of Camp, until Karlsson gets back - one on a 9 game trial and one to stick.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Dorion either is clueless or McPhee wasn't willing to send him back this way. Dorion option is more likely

According to Lebrun on TSN this morning, it would've cost more for Ottawa to re-acquire him than it did for Dallas to acquire him. Reading between the lines a little, it sounds like McPhee wasn't pleased that his pre-draft ask wasn't met so he refused to deal in good faith because of pride.

StittsvilleJames

Apr 17, 2012
Ottawa
Two weeks? Might as well be two years for all of the patience that this board has.

Being a sports fan (of any sport) and lacking patience must be a miserable existence. I don't know how people do it. It sounds like the worst combination of things, like fish and ice cream.

You should try being a Patriots fan as well. Sometimes we have to wait 2 or 3 years for a superbowl.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
According to Lebrun on TSN this morning, it would've cost more for Ottawa to re-acquire him than it did for Dallas to acquire him. Reading between the lines a little, it sounds like McPhee wasn't pleased that his pre-draft ask wasn't met so he refused to deal in good faith because of pride.

If that is in fact true then McPhee is completely incompetent. Letting his feelings get in the way in getting a better return from us. Not a trait I'd want in a GM.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
Not sure what went on ... pretty cheap to lose Methot... 2nd in 2020 and a 7th round goalie prospect.. its not as if Vegas was holding out for him... Dorion either is clueless or McPhee wasn't willing to send him back this way. Dorion option is more likely

1297966490850_ORIGINAL.jpg

Can't wait to hear his high five spin on this

I feel it is more likely that the opposite is true. Dorion wouldn't ante up a 2018 1st + Chlaplik so Vegas could select Claesson and so McPhee wouldn't trade him back to the Sens. And if McPhee was really trying to send him to Montreal or Toronto...that's just more of him trolling the Sens hard. Good on Dorion for not breaking.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa

If you start pissing people off so much that they start leaking details to the media, your making your job that much harder in the future (talking about McPhee).

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Yes, but please phrase this in a way that makes Dorion look incompetent. That's the theme we're going for, here. Get with the times, man!

We can't all go around waiting 12 excruciating hours to get context, we need to be outraged NOW! In this economy, who has the luxury to make judgments based on facts? That takes time, and time is money! :laugh:

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Of note, I don't think Dorion will admit it, but I think he likely had a potential deal worked out with Vegas to get Methot back, but he would only do it if he could deal Phaneuf. With our depth at LHD and needs elsewhere, not to mention the $12 million in cap $ they combine to collect, it made sense to let one go, but not both. If he could have netted slightly less for Phaneuf than Methot (i.e. a 3rd), then I think he would have likely done the deal.

At some point Dorion must have seen that Phaneuf and Methot ate more cap room together than Karlsson, Ceci, Claesson, Wideman and Boro combined. Too much.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If that is in fact true then McPhee is completely incompetent. Letting his feelings get in the way in getting a better return from us. Not a trait I'd want in a GM.

Gangster mentality. I mean, he's already into extortion, this is like killing the guy with a big debt to make an example out of him, even if it means you never recover the money, no the other punks know not to mess with you.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
This is all normal I don't get the big deal.

McPhee tried to maximize his gains when he had leverage. He won some , he came up a bit short other times. Just like every other GM.

Once the leverage was gone the price dropped. Big surprise.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Would wait and see in the next 2 weeks to see the 'full' deck of cards and what happens in the end.

Will be interesting to say the least, more interesting than the past few off-seasons anyway IMO

Last edited:

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
This is all normal I don't get the big deal.

McPhee tried to maximize his gains when he had leverage. He won some , he came up a bit short other times. Just like every other GM.

Once the leverage was gone the price dropped. Big surprise.

I think most posters are angry because they think Dorion didn't match the asking price after the price drop. Not sure if McPhee would've accepted it from Ottawa though

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I feel it is more likely that the opposite is true. Dorion wouldn't ante up a 2018 1st + Chlaplik so Vegas could select Claesson and so McPhee wouldn't trade him back to the Sens. And if McPhee was really trying to send him to Montreal or Toronto...that's just more of him trolling the Sens hard. Good on Dorion for not breaking.

Tend to agree here. That deal would be over the top bad for the Sens. 1st, Chlapik, Claesson is worth more to us than Methot.

tehdee

Feb 4, 2008
Put me in the Methot's value was inflated by his partner category.

BUT...

McPhee didn't necessarily want Methot.
Methinks Dorion called him on his bluff and didnt pony up with a ridiculous package (firsts, White, etc...) to keep him.
Then, a week later when his very own actions/selections were responsible for saturating the market with d-men, McPhee had no choice but to dump Methot for below average return.

kenempa

May 10, 2017
Apparently we offered a first round pick in 2018 for him back... If it's true then WTF

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Link to Lebrun interview He compared what Ottawa would have had to pay for Vegas not to select him vs what Dallas payed, not what Dorion would have had to pay to reacquire him in a trade

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Yes you are probably right , who knows? Had a few too many when I got this news. Just what is being said here about what Lebrun said is a real stretch.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Man has Dallas ever been the beneficiaries of some of our hard work recently, will see if they can take advantage of that.

Would be nice to benefit from someone else' misfortune for a change, seems thats a one way street for this org. MM shall be missed!

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yes you are probably right , who knows? Had a few too many when I got this news. Just what is being said here about what Lebrun said is a real stretch.

I don't have access to the links right now, but I was under the understanding that people were referring to a more recent interview from this morning as opposed to his initial take from last night.

Is it possible there are two Lebrun interviews on the matter?

Either way, it does sound like talks with the Sens broke down relatively quickly (leading me to believe LV started off with the same price and Dorion balked again) and then the price came down when Dallas was the only team still in the mix. I imagine had Ottawa been willing to pay a touch more than Dallas, McPhee would have gone back to Dallas and gotten them to up their ante, and the only reason Dallas got him cheap is because Ottawa was no longer involved, so there was no bidding war.

Karl Cowensson

I has cheezburger
Oct 27, 2008
Northern Ontario
Hard not to think ego played a significant part in this. I'm betting Ottawa's offer to reaquire Methot was fairly similar to Dallas and McPhee just didn't want to give Dorion the satisfaction of out maneuvering him and getting Marc back at a much lower price. A 1st+a decent prospect and they still take Claesson is way too steep a price to pay. Sad to see Methot gone but glad Dorion didn't cave when McPhee had all the leverage.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I don't have access to the links right now, but I was under the understanding that people were referring to a more recent interview from this morning as opposed to his initial take from last night.

Is it possible there are two Lebrun interviews on the matter?

Either way, it does sound like talks with the Sens broke down relatively quickly (leading me to believe LV started off with the same price and Dorion balked again) and then the price came down when Dallas was the only team still in the mix. I imagine had Ottawa been willing to pay a touch more than Dallas, McPhee would have gone back to Dallas and gotten them to up their ante, and the only reason Dallas got him cheap is because Ottawa was no longer involved, so there was no bidding war.

I am starting to wonder about that :laugh:. It seems like there could be, although the headline and the tweet may be misleading too. So far I have not found another interview link

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad